Statendam's Cabin Safes

KAYEF

:confused: Can someone please tell me if the safes on the "S" are the "old" Credit Card ones or do passengers get to enter a private code?

THANKS!

Leaving very shortly and wondered if I should bring my "old" expired CC along.

Thank you; I had NO idea that "all" HAL ships now use a code. I remember being on the Oosterdam and we had to use a CC and couldn't remember what we've used in following years on many of the other ships.

Love the code...............I don't have to run someone down to get the CC.:p

So far as I know, all the safes on the ships have been converted to code.

As they went to dry dock, it is my understanding all were changed.

We sailed Oosterdam last June and our safe operated on four digit code of our choosing.

The ships with the best safes are Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam as they are considerably larger than the others. You can fit a netbook, wallets, jewelry, cell phones and still have room left over.

I can remember years ago when we first started to sail on HAL -- and cabins were being equiped with safes, the Statendam and a couple of ships, had a card with holes in it that you placed into a slot to open and close the safes.

I well remember those slotted key cards but I think they were for the cabin door. It is my memory we used a card with magnetic strip to open the safe.

We were given a ship's ID and the slotted key card to open our cabin doors.

When we first started sailing HAL, the ship's ID was a very lightweight paper card not even as sturdy as a quality business card. We would sign it. :) So many of those cards blew away on the windy gangways but it was no problem. There were no card scanners then and security was nothing like today. It wasn't necessary. Sigh........

Just off the STATENDAM. Rooms have a safe that has you enter a 4-digit PIN Code that is good for your entire cruise. If you forget it...or you goof it up somehow then the Front Desk needs to come down and Electronically 'Delete' your PIN. Locomotiveman Tom

Just off the STATENDAM. Rooms have a safe that has you enter a 4-digit PIN Code that is good for your entire cruise. If you forget it...or you goof it up somehow then the Front Desk needs to come down and Electronically 'Delete' your PIN. Locomotiveman Tom

Never saw one like that. All the ones I've seen, the code you enter to lock the safe becomes the unlock code. You could change your code each time you locked the safe if you wanted to.

HamOp -

You are both correct.

Got off the Statendam 2 weeks ago, safe used a 4 digit code of my choosing to lock and then unlock safe. Next use I could change the code. Well, when first onboard I somehow screwed up the lock code and could not reopen it. A front desk person came with an electronic device, pushed a button on it (or maybe two) and the safe unlocked itself. From then on I was more careful when entering the Lock code.

So far as I know, all the safes on the ships have been converted to code.

As they went to dry dock, it is my understanding all were changed.

Just off the Volendam and it still has the magnetic card kind......I used our AAA card....

It was pretty large....held passports, cellphones and my kindle.....

Archived