When does international flight begin?

lsok

My DH & I have booked on British Air through Oceania "free air" offer. We are flying a commuter flight from San Diego to LAX and meeting up with another couple to fly BA from LAX to Stockholm (through Heathrow).

We have 1 hr & 45 min between flights at LAX during which we need to get from the commuter terminal to the international terminal. We should be able to walk there in about 15 min, but that doesn't give us the "required" 2 hrs before an international flight. We are hoping to fly with just 2 carry-ons (since luggage was lost last time we went through Heathrow--both directons!) which means that I assume that we will have to go through security again at LAX. What if we check one bag and carry on one bag--will be have to reclaim checked bag at LAX? Has anyone had this situation? Tried to find answer on BA website, but no luck.

Just FYI- we had no problem booking this itinerary through our TA, Oceania and British Air, however if I try to book it myself through BA, the system will not allow it because of less than 2 hrs between flights.

Is your SAN-LAX leg on AA (or a BA codeshare), and on the same ticket as LAX-LHR? If so, 1h45 is tight, but should be OK unless the first flight is delayed. You will check in for both flights at SAN and once at LAX you proceed straight to security and the gate.

FYI, there is an airside bus from T4 to TBIT that avoids having to re-clear security. The "gate" is around gate 44, you will see an escalator going downstairs and the signage is clear. However the hours of operation are limited. Also a pedestrian tunnel is under construction as part of the TBIT expansion, but I'm not sure of the opening date. If you need more details, let us know the two flight numbers and your travel date

"Is your SAN-LAX leg on AA (or a BA codeshare), and on the same ticket as LAX-LHR? If so, 1h45 is tight, but should be OK unless the first flight is delayed. You will check in for both flights at SAN and once at LAX you proceed straight to security and the gate."

The flight was booked through BA-with an AA flight # and I think it is Skywest(?) air which code shares with 4 different airlines for commuter flights. The flight is only 45 minutes--so should be plenty of time.

Thanks for the info on the airside bus, but someone said that if you wait for the shuttle, it could take 20 min. Maybe that info didn't take into consideration the international check in factor. Travel date 9/9/13. Flight SD to LAX is AA2612 at 1:00 pm-arriving at 1:45pm; Flight LAX to London is BA#0278 leaving at 3:35pm.

Thanks!!

We have 1 hr & 45 min between flights at LAX during which we need to get from the commuter terminal to the international terminal. We should be able to walk there in about 15 min, but that doesn't give us the "required" 2 hrs before an international flight. We are hoping to fly with just 2 carry-ons (since luggage was lost last time we went through Heathrow--both directons!) which means that I assume that we will have to go through security again at LAX. What if we check one bag and carry on one bag--will be have to reclaim checked bag at LAX? ...
I am almost certain that on this itinerary the bags can be checked all the way through to Stockholm from San Diego.
Just FYI- we had no problem booking this itinerary through our TA, Oceania and British Air, however if I try to book it myself through BA, the system will not allow it because of less than 2 hrs between flights.
Travel date 9/9/13. Flight SD to LAX is AA2612 at 1:00 pm-arriving at 1:45pm; Flight LAX to London is BA#0278 leaving at 3:35pm.
This connection is bookable through BA, and you can see it if you search for San Diego to London. So there is no issue here - the BA website does not demand 2 hours between flights if you're booking a connection, and you actually have 1:50 not 1:45.

I suspect that the reason that you weren't shown it when you searched for San Diego to Stockholm was that the BA website detected that there were "better" connections through other cities, and suppressed this option even though you had a particular reason for preferring it. Websites can be irritating like that.

Maybe that info didn't take into consideration the international check in factor.

If you're travelling on one ticket, there will be no separate check-in at LAX - you will be checked in at SAN for both flights. So, international check in times won't be a factor at all, as all you need to worry about is the time you need to be checked in for your domestic flight.

You will need to go through the TSA security at Tom Bradley International Terminal is you go outside (street side) to change terminals.

I have done this many times.

I minimize my carry on stuff to expedite the process (putting as much as possible into my to-be-checked bag.

Things that I can't live without: medicines, travel documenets and valuables such as electronics go in my carry on bag with a change of clothes and comfort items such as my own eye shades.

I find that getting outside in the semi-fresh air for a few minutes helps me to feel better when flying.

The flight was booked through BA-with an AA flight # and I think it is Skywest(?) air which code shares with 4 different airlines for commuter flights. The flight is only 45 minutes--so should be plenty of time.

I was really asking in your specific context, to clarify whether you were on a BA codeshare flight from SAN and not (for example) a UA Express flight on a separate ticket which would add time and complication at LAX.

Thanks for the info on the airside bus, but someone said that if you wait for the shuttle, it could take 20 min.

It sounds like you're talking about the inter-terminal shuttle bus that runs *landside* on the loop road. I don't recommend this in your situation. Besides the initial wait, you will have to make an almost complete counter-clockwise circle and visit all the terminals. That could easily take an additional 30 minutes.

The bus I referred to runs airside...in other words, on the "secure" side of both terminals. It could be restricted in operating hours and to Qantas/AA passengers. Definitely check with AA or do some google searching. That said, I think walking will be faster and more enjoyable. Arrivals is on the lower level, while departures is upper. I recommend walking between terminal on the upper level...less congestion and bus fumes!

Zach- Thanks for answering that, because I couldn't find a definitive answer, even on Flyertalk. If you ever have a long layover at LAX maybe I can run up there to say hello.

FYI, arriving back to LAX on AA last month we took a "sterile" corridor thru T4 and to a maze of temporary walkways (one was a protected zone crossing the apron). Then an underground passage to the Customs area at the Bradley terminal. I noticed on the LAX website it will eventually become a permanent airside connection for passengers and luggage.

Zach- Thanks for answering that, because I couldn't find a definitive answer, even on Flyertalk. If you ever have a long layover at LAX maybe I can run up there to say hello.

FYI, arriving back to LAX on AA last month we took a "sterile" corridor thru T4 and to a maze of temporary walkways (one was a protected zone crossing the apron). Then an underground passage to the Customs area at the Bradley terminal. I noticed on the LAX website it will eventually become a permanent airside connection for passengers and luggage.

I'm flying MEL-LAX onward to DFW and MCI on Saturday, but I am hoping my 2.5 hour layover at LAX remains just that - 2.5 hours. Get me home! ;)

I'm flying MEL-LAX onward to DFW and MCI on Saturday, but I am hoping my 2.5 hour layover at LAX remains just that - 2.5 hours. Get me home! ;)

Speedy travels home! (People wish me "safe travels" but nowadays there's a bigger need for "speedy" ) :)

Speedy travels home! (People wish me "safe travels" but nowadays there's a bigger need for "speedy" ) :)

Well I'd prefer both, but "safe" is practically guaranteed, whereas "speedy" is a crapshoot...so thank you! ;)

If you're travelling on one ticket, there will be no separate check-in at LAX - you will be checked in at SAN for both flights. So, international check in times won't be a factor at all, as all you need to worry about is the time you need to be checked in for your domestic flight.

This is incorrect--and I learned it the hard way.

I was traveling to Canada with a connection in a US city. I figured it would be just like a regular domestic flight, right? Wrong.

I was very lucky that they decided to accept my bag and allow me to board when I checked in about 90 minutes prior to my first flight instead of the two hours required for an international flight. It was definitely touch and go there for a few minutes.

This is incorrect--and I learned it the hard way.

I was traveling to Canada with a connection in a US city. I figured it would be just like a regular domestic flight, right? Wrong.

I was very lucky that they decided to accept my bag and allow me to board when I checked in about 90 minutes prior to my first flight instead of the two hours required for an international flight. It was definitely touch and go there for a few minutes.

I find that fascinating. I wonder what was the justification for that? Usually the absolute check-in cut off time for international travil is 1 hour.

I find that fascinating. I wonder what was the justification for that? Usually the absolute check-in cut off time for international travil is 1 hour.

Maybe in Canada, not in the US.

Archived