NCC question

We usually book our next cruise while onboard, however this time, we haven't decided on a specific cruise so we plan to buy NCC's.

My question is: If I buy one certificate in my name, when I assign it to a specific cruise, can I add the second person to the reservation at that time, and owe the reduced deposit for that person? Or, will I owe full deposit for him/her? In other words, do I need to buy two certificates in order to only pay the reduced deposit for each of us staying in one cabin?

We usually book our next cruise while onboard, however this time, we haven't decided on a specific cruise so we plan to buy NCC's.

My question is: If I buy one certificate in my name, when I assign it to a specific cruise, can I add the second person to the reservation at that time, and owe the reduced deposit for that person? Or, will I owe full deposit for him/her? In other words, do I need to buy two certificates in order to only pay the reduced deposit for each of us?

You only need to buy one certificate for up to 4 people in a stateroom. When you add the additional guests, the deposit will be $100 each. The only exception is if you book a Grand Suite or better, in which case all guests will need to pay the full deposit.

You only need to buy one certificate for up to 4 people in a stateroom. When you add the additional guests, the deposit will be $100 each. The only exception is if you book a Grand Suite or better, in which case all guests will need to pay the full deposit.

Thanks Bob. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to confirm since I hadn't done it before.

I think we're waiting for Quantum in summer 2015, and we don't know if our adult children will still want to cruise with us at that time. So, I'll buy one certificate and my husband will buy another. Then we'll either do two cruises for just the two of us, or use them for two cabins on one cruise for the family.

Thanks Bob. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to confirm since I hadn't done it before.

I think we're waiting for Quantum in summer 2015, and we don't know if our adult children will still want to cruise with us at that time. So, I'll buy one certificate and my husband will buy another. Then we'll either do two cruises for just the two of us, or use them for two cabins on one cruise for the family.

You're welcome, and thank-you for keeping track of the Cruise Directors!

If you book two rooms on the one cruise, we only had to use one NCC. We used the Friends and Family certificate for the other. I know there were some changes being made to NCC, but we just purchased ours in March and used it a week ago, so I don't know.

Cheryl

If you book two rooms on the one cruise, we only had to use one NCC. We used the Friends and Family certificate for the other. I know there were some changes being made to NCC, but we just purchased ours in March and used it a week ago, so I don't know.

Cheryl

To my knowledge, the Friends & Family certificates went away in March. I thought it was March 1, but I'm not sure. Maybe you made it just before the change. They were pretty clear on Monarch at the end of March that the F&F certs were gone.

To my knowledge, the Friends & Family certificates went away in March. I thought it was March 1, but I'm not sure.

It was mid-March as I recall the change happened and was announced during my last cruise which sailed on March 16, 2013.

I knew there were changes, just couldn't remember what they were. We purchased ours on March 9, so we must have gotten lucky :)

Good to know.

You must have. I bought a few on Enchantment earlier this month and they don't have Friends and Family certs on them. They are also just called "Open Bookings" now.

So with the new NCCs, if you want 2 cabins on the same cruise, do you have to purchase 2 NCCs (we tend to book interconnecting for our family)?

Also, for the first time we want to purchase our NCCs in $US (we have booked with a US TA in the past, but never using a NCC). Am I correct in thinking that the US NCCs are non-refundable but we can transfer them to another cruise should our plans change? Is there any difference between purchasing a NCC onboard to actually booking the cruise of our choice and then transferring it to a US TA? Previously, we've only done this with our UK TA, so I want to be sure of the differences when transferring to a US TA i.e. US T & C as opposed to UK.

TBH, I want to ensure that what the TA and RCI are telling me is the same, which is why I'm asking here first :D. Additionally, do you give the LA onboard the TA agency number to have the booking transferred to (this is what I have done in the past when booking onboard and transferring to my UK TA)?

Thanks.

So with the new NCCs, if you want 2 cabins on the same cruise, do you have to purchase 2 NCCs (we tend to book interconnecting for our family)? Yes, you need one NCC per stateroom.

Also, for the first time we want to purchase our NCCs in $US (we have booked with a US TA in the past, but never using a NCC). Am I correct in thinking that the US NCCs are non-refundable but we can transfer them to another cruise should our plans change? Is there any difference between purchasing a NCC onboard to actually booking the cruise of our choice and then transferring it to a US TA? Previously, we've only done this with our UK TA, so I want to be sure of the differences when transferring to a US TA i.e. US T & C as opposed to UK. Yes, non-refundable and can be changed to another cruise. Difference is that an NCC can be transferred to another person, but a specific booking must have at least one name on the booking stay the same.

TBH, I want to ensure that what the TA and RCI are telling me is the same, which is why I'm asking here first :D. Additionally, do you give the LA onboard the TA agency number to have the booking transferred to (this is what I have done in the past when booking onboard and transferring to my UK TA)? Usually you only need the name of the TA and their phone number.

Thanks.

See answers in RED above.

Archived