Currently on spirit lucky the Internet is great cause the foods awful!

You pompous old fart.

What a great contribution to the debate , dont like the messenger . then shoot him :eek:

I have heard many things about the carnival Spirit , enough to make me decide i dont wish to sail on her, however reports of the food on board are consistantly good

Sutho is quite correct "You only get what you pay for" and your expectations should reflect this

Best Regards

John

Thats my whole point you only get what you pay for.

If you are used to fine dining where you pay $100's a night for food and wine then cruise ship food will not be to your liking.

For a cruise line that is mass market, advertises at reasonably low prices and is inclusive of food, entertainment, travel costs you are getting good value for money and the food standard is to be expected for what you pay for.

I am honestly at a loss as to what people expect on these cruise ships from the food department. You are not sailing on a grand hyatt, sheraton, hilton, st. regis, le meridian, ritz, four seasons etc. These ships are not high tea at raffles or fine dining you expect in New York and London. They are simple cruise ships. You are not going to find the best paid chefs in the world living and working on these ships. The staff would more than likely be much better than the beginners serving the food up and McDonalds, KFC or Pizza Hut, but by no means would I expect the food to be world greatest.

You get what you pay for. What is wrong with just being satisfied with that.

I suppose some people who complain about the standard of rooms in an Formule1 hotel expect the decor, bedding and service to be in keeping with Hiltion!!!

See no evil, speak no evil , do no evil, thats what the 3 wise monkeys said. No use having an opinion on this board. Your a brave man Sutho :cool:

I have once seen a picture of four monkeys with the forth having a big frown on his face and arms screwed up with the explanation mark "have no fun";)

You know I am probably younger than you and quite possibly have done more cruises as well!

Hmm you must be a young whippersnapper ! would never have been allowed in First Class in my day...back to steerage with you .... and dont think it will be open ship whist in port even if the P&O used to do so

:D:D:

best Regards

John

Really surprised that the food is not living up to expectations. I sailed on Carnival Spirit in February and found the food and service in the MDR exceeded my expectations, I can't say that at any time I found the food cold or inedible - wonder what has changed?

A check of my cruise history will tell you that I have plenty of cruising experience with which to compare.

Have never been so unimpressed by cruise ship food in my life it is so far appalling, nothing is being served hot at all for a start. Just had breakfast in dining room eggs Benedict had been under the Warmer so long it was just a film over the eggs, daughters pancakes were dry and cold as were the hash browns, orange juice was like drinking syrup had to water it down over twice the amount of juice to make it drinkable, and that was just this mornings breakfast.......

I was on Spirit a couple of weeks ago and found the food okay. Not great. Not on par with Royal Caribbean. But the cruise cost was bargain basement so when I consider the price it makes the food seem better. I thought the best food was buffet at lunch time, and the Taste Bar was great. Buffet selection at dinner time was terrible. Dining room was okay.

I had fun on the ship, the food didn't ruin it. Don't think I'll do it again, but not completely against it if the price was cheap as chips and time was right.

We have read hundreds of posts about Carnival Spirit over the past few weeks, as we were investigating a holiday for next year, and we have found that the vast majority of comments about food on the ship is very positive.

Have only seen a few critical posts. I guess we all have our own opinions.

Thats my whole point you only get what you pay for.

I suppose some people who complain about the standard of rooms in an Formule1 hotel expect the decor, bedding and service to be in keeping with Hiltion!!!

The problem is that Spirit advertise their dining as

"I'll have the ... one of everything please!" Whatever you're in the mood for - be it exotic delicacies or homegrown favourites - our four different restaurants ensure the happiest campers onboard are always going to be your tastebuds."

"There are plenty of ways to make your tastebuds sing day and night onboard Carnival Spirit:"- now IMO that sounds like the food is edible! If it was cold or of poor quality I too would be unimpressed.

From the OP's post they have cruised before and were not looking for 5 * - just hot and edible food.

It is reasonable to assume due to the success of ships here and the sell out cruises that the food must be acceptable. If over 2000 passengers are getting on and off almost every two weeks and the food was that bad we would be sure to hear about it in the papers, media, and everywhere.

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with the food at all and I know where I would rather be right now.

No, it is not reasonable to assume this - as you are assuming that there are a large number of repeat cruisers on the ship. There is no evidence in what you say to conclude this, only that cruises are well patronised. You would need to know the %age of repeats to be able to assert this.:)

I Understand they serve small children the the main dining room

This is very very bad

As I can never eat a whole one !

:D:D:D

Best Regards

John

We all needed a smile break :rolleyes:

i understand they serve small children the the main dining room

this is very very bad

as i can never eat a whole one !

:d:d:d

best regards

john

we all needed a smile break :rolleyes:

lol - very funny

Sailing on Spirit soon so will make my own judgements and I will post my opinion upon return.

I have been cruising since 1986 and have not had a cruise that has been spoilt by the quality of food or service, there have been better experiences than others and on odd occasions the meal was not hot but was immediately replaced ( remember how many meals are being served in a short space of time).

I find it difficult to accept that we would not have seen much more public debate in National Media if the standard is as bad as depicted by the OP. I feel that a more in depth description of the various meals would allow for a more objective debate than can be achieved by the description of one breakfast out of four,four dinners and three or possibly four lunches (depending on when you boarded.)

The overwhelming majority of posts on this forum and other review sites report a more than favorable standard of food.

Have never been so unimpressed by cruise ship food in my life it is so far appalling, nothing is being served hot at all for a start. Just had breakfast in dining room eggs Benedict had been under the Warmer so long it was just a film over the eggs, daughters pancakes were dry and cold as were the hash browns, orange juice was like drinking syrup had to water it down over twice the amount of juice to make it drinkable, and that was just this mornings breakfast.......

Not good, Missmad. Hot food should be hot! I hope you complained to the Maitre D' about it. Let's hope it was a temporary problem.

Cannot believe the smug arrogant condescension that sutho shows on so many occasions...

I for one have to back up the OP's claims, having sailed on the Spirit last December. The food in the buffet was ordinary to say the least. Food in the dining room varied from excellent to abysmal, but was generally good at dinner time. My only main dining room breakfast experience was underwhelming to say the least, with the Eggs Benedict having a skin on the sauce.

Having sailed with P&O, Royal Caribbean and Carnival there is no way I will ever sail with Carnival again. Their food was easily the worst on any of the 7 cruises I have done.

Order the eggs benedict with the sauce on the side. At times I have even ordered everything separately to get a runny egg. Waiter wasn't too happy with me.:rolleyes:

If you have AnyTime Dining ask for a table near the kitchen doors.

I have so far cruised on sun, pearl, solstice and now spirit so have a fairly good idea of cruise food. Only time I have had hot food on spirit is when I have been lucky enough to be at the buffet when they are changing the tray over, I'm thinking maccas would be good right now lol

LOL, Missmad, glad to see you are keeping your sense of humour. :D Honestly, some posts/ers here should just be ignored. Hope you write a review of your experiences, but even more, I hope they improve the food temperature and presentation. :)

Cheers

Sandy

If its any consolation P&O Australia food outclassed both Carnival USA and Royal Caribbean in my opinion!

Both Carnival and Royal had food available for much longer periods than P&O.

On Carnival Splendor our table guests were raving about how good the food was but to us it was bland and lacked variety and taste. Americans on a whole do no not eat spicy foods like us even though they eat a lot of Mexican food, its not spicey though and its pretty bland.

Bigger ships = more mouths to feed which = lesser quality than perhaps expected:)

We tried the pizza late night on VOS and it went in the bin,we tried it a few times just to see if it had improved and it always went in the bin!

Carnival USA was the worst pizza i have ever tasted, even worse than Home Brand oven ready cheapo.

I have sent at least one meal back on every cruise apart from my first cruise for being a bit cold (Usually Breakfast in MRD) but its never a complaint, if i have a bad MRD Breakfast I just go to the Buffet afterwards:)

I can sort of see where Suto was coming from in the first reply and it perhaps read a bit too condescending but for the cruise price and shear quantity/choice of food available its no big deal really unless you have paid a high cabin price for balcony or above in which case you might expect a higher quality than that of a budget inside twin price cruise.

I have never been refused an extra free meal same or different to the one I asked for on a cruise so in my book thats a bonus because i cant do that in any restaurant i have ever visited.

Generally I am happy with any meal that I don't have to think about, shop for, prepare or clean up after....that said its more than just a personal preference or just being picky to want your food to be served hot...its a major health issue. Bacteria breeds when food is kept too long at an incorrect temperature.

Sue/FONT]

We were on Spirit in March. For breakfast I had a freshly cooked omelet. It was made before my eyes with fillings of my choice. It was delicious and hot. Overall I was not impressed with the buffets but there was always something I liked.

The pizza bar was also a winner (again made fresh when you order).

I hope the food gets better and you enjoy your cruise.

Archived