Currently on spirit lucky the Internet is great cause the foods awful!

Missmad,

Now you are back on dry land I was hoping that you could let us all know how was the remainder of your cruise.

Your original post certainly caused some debate and resulted in some posts that were positive to the standard of food on the cruise.

Did it improve for you perhaps you were a little unlucky early on in the cruise.

I am cruising soon on Spirit and would be interested in your follow up and any other comments.

We were on Carnival Spirit in 2005, Hawaii/Alaska it was great. Spoke to a an experienced cruising friend of mine yesterday who was on the 9 day cruise - South Pacific during May, he said it was awful, entertainment/food not acceptable and the ship a bit shabby. Also hundreds of kids on board, many out of control. Carnival have dropped the ball in Australia I fear.

As for the covercharge restaurants, i.e. the Spirit's steakhouse, why should pax be forced to pay extra to get decent food ? Not on !

Missmad,

Now you are back on dry land I was hoping that you could let us all know how was the remainder of your cruise.

Your original post certainly caused some debate and resulted in some posts that were positive to the standard of food on the cruise.

Did it improve for you perhaps you were a little unlucky early on in the cruise.

I am cruising soon on Spirit and would be interested in your follow up and any other comments.

I wouldn't surprised if she doesn't return to comment - I know I probably wouldn't. She expressed an opinion, and the resulting posts from some members have just been appalling :mad:. I cannot believe the disgusting display of bad manners and insulting commentary in this thread. Really people, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Just grow up! (On a positive note, I have an extensive list of people I will be avoiding if I ever have the misfortune to cruise with them ...)

Missmad, I am sorry you didn't enjoy all of your meals on Carnival. Regardless, I hope you were able to enjoy your cruise anyway. I hope the immature, condescending and ignorant rantings and ramblings of some CC members have not put you off returning to this forum.

Cheers,

I would like to add my 2 cents worth :D. We cruised on Carnival spirit dec/jan (nye cruise) there were 3 couples. We have been on quite a few cruises (9 or 10) and I would have to say I thought the food was the best we have had, in variety, quality etc.... I really find some people's comments bizarre, I think to myself, where they on the same ship? Everyone in our party said the same.. The buffet was the best set up that we had seen and we have cruised with PO, Princess, RCCL.... I think that these people who come on here and are rude and put future cruisers off their holiday should stay home,:eek: cruising is obviously not for them. For me any cruise is a great cruise, so if there is anyone thinking of cruising carnival, do it, you will have a great time, Rant over. :)

All I keep seeing is people with opposing views saying the food is excellent and then people saying the food is awefull. So who is lying?

It is a pretty big call to come on a forum and announce that

nothing is being served hot....
That is a big call. They were then asked to verify where they eat and what they are used to as a control. (we all know every scientific study has to have a control to base the findings on). They were not able to do this.

I am happy to say that I have eaten from McDonalds, to Pizza Hut to 5 star hotels and cruise ships. I cant complain about cruise ship food at all.

Being a one time cruiser and only on the spirit ,I feel maybe I should not judge others for their opinions. But From what I experienced I find the food negativity expressed here a little bizarre also. In the context that I paid less than $100 per day for everything I found the food quality ,consistency and variety to be way beyond my expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi,

I have cruised with several cruise lines and like many had read differing opinions on carnival Spirit.Not being one to be influenced by other opinions from people i do not know i decided to try Spirit myself.I went on with an open mind and came off the cruise very impressed.Considering what we paid for the cruise the Spirit exceeding my expectations in every department.I definately would sail on her again.Food does not come into my reckoning when i review a cruise.I am more interested in the ship.Food is always good if you do not have to cook it yourself.Lets face I can muck up a meal cooking for 2 let alone 2700 with a choice of numerous courses.Having said that I had no complaints about the food nor the service.

Col:)

Do not forget there are over 900 crew that are fed each day as well.

Have read posts complaining of food on Princess, P&O, Carnival, RCCL, even the Queen's Grill on QM2. I believe that the overall quality of the food across cruise ships is excellent considering the quantity prepared day in day out.

Cruising is still the best valued holiday.

Do not forget there are over 900 crew that are fed each day as well.

Have read posts complaining of food on Princess, P&O, Carnival, RCCL, even the Queen's Grill on QM2. I believe that the overall quality of the food across cruise ships is excellent considering the quantity prepared day in day out.

Cruising is still the best valued holiday.

My biggest "complaint" with cruiseship food is that all the Indian Chefs cannot cook Indian food as good as me!! :) -- even on P&O UK who are famous for their curry nights.:rolleyes:

But then again they are cooking for western palates -- you know , those who say "OOH!! That's hot" when relating to a dish that has almost no spice in it at all :)

The closest I ever got to a great Indian meal was onboard Pacific Pearl - where with a bit of organisation with the Matre D, we had an Indian lunch for 20 in the dining room --and no sissies were allowed. :)

Barry

The best Indian food we ever had on board was on Celebrity Silhouette. We were cruising with a 10 and a 12 year old and they loved all the food on board but our waiter - who spoiled them to a fault- asked if there was anything they would especially like that was not on the menu. They mentioned an Indian dish and the next night it was cooked specially- just for 2 little girls- by an Indian chef. That's what I call service!!

For those who have travelled on P&O UK, you would have to agree their Indian food is very good, a lot of Indian chefs on board. On Arcadia last year, Sydney to Southampton, often 5 curries to chose from in the lunchtime buffet.

For those who have travelled on P&O UK, you would have to agree their Indian food is very good, a lot of Indian chefs on board. On Arcadia last year, Sydney to Southampton, often 5 curries to chose from in the lunchtime buffet.

Unfortunately Les, I would have to disagree with you. I was very keen to experience their famous "curry nights" -- but was very disappointed. As far as I could see, they were pale imitations of good Indian/Pakistani food - dumbed down for British palates.

Barry

• 3 months later...
Thats a real shame. How does it compare to the likes of McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Subway, the local fish and chip shop and the local leagues club and bowling clubs. The fast food chains have food often prepared by teenagers so it would be good to hear comparissions. I mean Carnival is kind of in the budget of someone who would eat at all those places.

Also how is your home cooking these days, do you still sit down for a family meal, do you cook your own gourmet foods for breakfast or are you just satisfied with toast and cereal.

Also what hotel chains do you stay at to compare food to there. You have to pay for meals at hotels. If you stay at somewhere like Quay Grand you would be looking at $500 a night and paying about $50 for a steak meal. At a Holiday inn you are looking at around $150 a night and a $30 meal.

What price per night did you pay for Carnival and does the value for money match the quality of the food.

If you are prepared to go out and purchase breakfast, lunch and dinner at top restaurants from $20 to $50 per meal per person costing $1200 to $3150/week for a family of three then you might have grounds to complain about the food. So if your budget is that big I would suggest possibly trying a cruise line like Regent or Crystal where you will get your moneys worth. If your a McDonalds kind of budget person and eat three meals there a day you are probably looking at around $400 for the week for a family of three and that makes Carnival right in your market so if Carnivals food is better than McDonalds you really have no grounds to complain about the food.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for. You cant expect to go on a cruise ship like Carnival Spirit and expect the food to be as great as or greater than 5 star hotels and restaurants that you could not possibly afford to eat at when your at home.

WOW - arrogant lil thing aren't we? LOL

Unfortunately Les, I would have to disagree with you. I was very keen to experience their famous "curry nights" -- but was very disappointed. As far as I could see, they were pale imitations of good Indian/Pakistani food - dumbed down for British palates.

Barry

I haven't been on the ships but my experience with London Indian restaurants was similarly disappointing. It may well be that the versions that the restaurants sell here aren't authentic either but the utter blandness of the ones we tried in the uk (at 4 different places) was incredible.

Before sutho the socially pretentious but inept truck driver has a go. I will state that I have tried Indian food in several countries in many restaurants (not McSinghs or Hungry Mahatmas the two best known Indian fast food chains) with Indian people even and find the UK ones to be much less spicy.

I haven't been on the ships but my experience with London Indian restaurants was similarly disappointing. It may well be that the versions that the restaurants sell here aren't authentic either but the utter blandness of the ones we tried in the uk (at 4 different places) was incredible.

Before sutho the socially pretentious but inept truck driver has a go. I will state that I have tried Indian food in several countries in many restaurants (not McSinghs or Hungry Mahatmas the two best known Indian fast food chains) with Indian people even and find the UK ones to be much less spicy.

English national dish now is Chips with curry sauce. Not ye olde pork pies or jellied eels anymore.

Yeap Sutho has been rebranded and come out of dry dock with some new name and I think he has toned down their comments, however, I see cracks after a time. :D

You mean he has had a refurbish after drydock? LOL. This 'new bloke' is also on our Golden Princess South American cruise, BA to LA, March 1 next year. Strange coincidence that.

Archived