Question for Long Time Cruisers

Good Afternoon,

My family and I have cruised every year since 2008. We have only cruised with Carnival however we have now visited almost every island they have to offer. For the long time Carnival cruisers how did you keep the excitement fresh after actually having gone everywhere? lol

It's easy for us, because we don't cruise for the islands... We cruise for the rest and relaxation, the joy of having quality time together and the beauty of the sea...

Could care less if the ship ever made port, would love a seven day cruise to nowhere!!!:D C.G.

We're having the same issue. We've only been cruising since 2005 (cruise #8 coming up in July). It's getting harder to find new ports. We cruise primarily for the ports. The original purpose of cruising for us was to get a taste of areas where we might want to visit again for a longer vacation.

We'll probably do more land-based vacations in the future. We're already planning on a week on Grand Cayman in 2014. Though we still have some areas to cover (namely Alaska, more of the southern Caribbean).

My first cruise was in 1970 and have cruised fairly regularly since, except for a period of time in the 1990's when family situations would not permit it.

I anticipate greatly every cruise that I have had the good fortune to be able to book. By sailing on a variety of cruise lines and ships and by varying the itineraries as much as my time and finances allow is, I guess, one way I keep my anticipation at a high level. I like meeting new people and/or renewing friendships with some with whom I have sailed before that are on my ship also helps. Sailing on the same line/ship, I wonder if I will recognize any crew with whom I have sailed before.

And, I just love to travel and to plan my travels!

We booked the Carnival Breeze to see a new ship and all the new amenities. We are doing Ocho Rios, GT & Nassau which we have been to at least 3 times each. OR we will do the DR falls because my DD has only done it once and wants to do it again and perhaps something new like Irie Blue Hole. GT I like just hangin out at the beach and the pool @ JB's. Pool/beach, a cocktail and the sun and I'm as happy as a clam. And Nassau we will probably stay on the ship and enjoy all the empty deck chairs and empty pool.

Good Afternoon,

My family and I have cruised every year since 2008. We have only cruised with Carnival however we have now visited almost every island they have to offer. For the long time Carnival cruisers how did you keep the excitement fresh after actually having gone everywhere? lol

Your reference to having "gone everywhere" but mentioning only "islands" leaves me with the impression that you think the universe of cruise vacations is the Caribbean. Try going to Alaska (not an island), the west coast of Mexico (not an island) or maybe Italy (not an island). If you only like islands, I can highly recommend the Greek Isles.

While there is nothing wrong with sticking with the easy and comfortable, you're sure missing out by limiting yourself so much.

I've been on 28 Carnival cruises since 2001 and like a PP cruise for the ship experience rather than excursions. However, even when I was doing excursions I always found something new and different to do when returning to the same port.

In most ports you have to choose between beach, snorkeling, zipline, sightseeing.......and maybe 4x4 jeeps, parasailing, horseback riding, tequilla or rum factories,

In my Fun Ashore booklet from January St. Thomas offerred 3 sightseeing tours, 2 sightseeing with shopping, 3 snorkel, 3 scuba, 1 golf, 1 sunset/evening excursion, 6 water-based adventure tours, 6 beach tours and 1 beach tour with shopping.

So for that one port you would have to visit 26 times to go on all the tours just offerred by Carnival. Then there is all the private tours.

In Antigua there are 16 excursions. Tortolla/Virgin Gorda has 17 excursions and Nassau has 22 excursions.

Have salied the Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii or Europe?

We have done variations of the same itin (Catalina/Ensenada) at least 20 times. We get off the ship everytime and almost always find something new to do or see. A few times we have just followed our own route thru town.

The nice thing about repeating ports is that you can check out what was missed on other occassions.

We've been to Cozumel so many times we should own property there by now. But we still board cruises that stop in Coz--we look for someplace different on the island to go see each time.

Haven't done much at Nassau or Freeport--seems too much of a tourist trap. Key West is definitely too touristy.

Don't care to get off the ship at Belize anymore. Mahagony Bay or Coxen Hole would be nice to visit again. Would definitely love to stop at Costa Maya on future cruises.

Here's hoping you find a special port on your next cruise. Bon Voyage!

We started in 2001 so we have repeated a lot of islands such as Cozumel and St. Thomas. Now we have gotten to a point where we choose a beach club (such as Paradise beach in Cozumel) pretty often. We pick one or two ports to do something really exciting (and new) and just relax the rest of the time. We used to feel obligated to do everything because we never thought we would do cruising again. That is no longer the case :D

Good question...we choose one island per cruise to do shore activities, one island to do the beach and one island to stay onboard and enjoy the spa, long lunch, long nap and an empty ship

At this point we look for cruises with more days at sea then port days

One of my favorite things is staying on the ship when in port. Already been somewhere many times, no need to get off. The ship is practically empty. I always have the hot tub to myself, can enjoy a leisurely lunch, with no lines, and enjoy a quiet afternoon relaxing. :cool:

Karen

We don't pay much attention to where we are going as much as the fact that we are going somewhere. We've been to every port on the West Coast many times and never tire of it. Wouldn't bother us if we didn't get off the ship, we just like the idea of being out on the ocean, relaxing and eating good food. What could be better than that?

It's easy for us, because we don't cruise for the islands... We cruise for the rest and relaxation, the joy of having quality time together and the beauty of the sea...

Could care less if the ship ever made port, would love a seven day cruise to nowhere!!!:D C.G.

I too would LOVE a 7 night cruise to nowhere!

The Question was: For the long time Carnival cruisers how did you keep the excitement fresh after actually having gone everywhere? lol

We have found places or activities in every port that are "do-overs" or everytime we are there. An example would be Cozumel: Nachi Cocom. Some have several options.

We have just found what we like, what works for us, and it is always something to look forward to. :D

I haven't been on many as most however my excitement leading up to a cruise is off the charts. I just love cruising for relaxation. We love the ports best and have been so some of them many times and find different things to do. We did an all inclusive last year and it was alright just prefer cruising.

I've done over 1 doz. trips to Bermuda; some land vacations before I met my husband, and at least 6 or more cruises to Bermuda with Home Lines and Celebrity. Each time I go, I see something I never saw before.

In the 90's we started cruising to the Bahamas and the Caribbean with Carnival; the Legend, Miracle and Pride. In fact, this year we will probably go on the Pride again to the Bahamas. This time though we won't get off the ship. We'll cruise for the sea days, relaxation and fun, and most importantly....price!!! Can't beat the prices!!!

Have a fun cruise wherever you go.

Good Afternoon,

Why only Carnival???

Good Afternoon,

The ports of calls boards for me .Im pretty sure you have not been everywhere ;)

And if you have try them all again its different everytime :)

I have always found my cruises to be what I made of them. If I choose a great port intensive itinerary that will be the reason for that cruise. If I choose an Itinerary with lots of sea days then I can just relax and let the week or so just glide by. Of course your experience can be even better if you choose to cruise with an exciting cruise buddy or meet one on your cruise. Then all pre made plans are off, and your new adventure begins. So I book for the experience and the adventure on the high seas. Ports are not as important than the experience of the cruise itself.

We cruise to relax. The islands are secondary for us.

However, we love 5 or 6 of the islands we've visited and always look forward to going back to them so we pick our itineraries accordingly.

If you've see them all, start over! :)

I feel you every day I wake up and walk outside I still see the same beach..but I'm ok with that....no traffic as I commute 12 steps away to the office.

It's funny after so many cruises I am just as fine sitting on my balcony in whatever port. But there are certain places where I have a must do or go to and the more you visit the more you learn and discover.

How can you see an entire country or island in 8 hours?

Come and sail Carnival from Australia- they sail out of Sydney Harbour and you'll see lots of wonderful,ports. We had the same problem sailing from Sydney - we've been to all the islands -'Fiji, New Caledonia etc . Now we save up,and sail from overseas ports. Sailed 2 Carnival cruises from US last year and had a wonderful time.

Archived