posting this here also Problems with Viking never again

Nan-L

This thread is incredible. The way posters are dissing travel agents like they are incompetent morons.

Has anyone ever thought, that Viking really can say that it's anyone's fault.

Whether or not that is actually true, remains to be seen.

Of course they will blame the agent and not themselves.

My company that books lots of ocean and river cruises has very diligent agents, who

will bend over backwards to make sure that our clients have the best experience possible, in the booking and travelling process. No one wants an unhappy client.

We work very hard for very little compensation. We work for the love of it.

My particular office has had lots of problems with Viking.

Their agents have made the booking process a nightmare.

First off they tell you one thing and then we find out it is not the case, once we're so far into the booking that it cannot be changed.

Their final payment dates are definitely a year plus prior to sailing

They are just building a new ship that will sail oceans not rivers.

It is suppose to be launched approx. June 2015.

The final payment date for that season is Dec. 2013.

And lets not forget that 2 for 1 continual promo, that deceives the public into thinking that they are actually getting a half price cruise.

They double the price and then cut it in half. It's a well known fact.

No one would ever pay the price that they cross out!!!

One thing that I don't understand, is how people think that a travel agent can possibly reduce a Shipboard credit.

They would have no control over that credit. It is Viking that controls all of that

not the travel agent.

It is also Viking that states it on the invoice, that is sent to the agency.

I hope that the OP has a great cruise, but please don't think that all your issues are the agent's fault.

I speak from experience.

This thread is incredible. The way posters are dissing travel agents like they are incompetent morons.

Has anyone ever thought, that Viking really can say that it's anyone's fault.

Whether or not that is actually true, remains to be seen.

Of course they will blame the agent and not themselves.

My company that books lots of ocean and river cruises has very diligent agents, who

will bend over backwards to make sure that our clients have the best experience possible, in the booking and travelling process. No one wants an unhappy client.

We work very hard for very little compensation. We work for the love of it.

My particular office has had lots of problems with Viking.

Their agents have made the booking process a nightmare.

First off they tell you one thing and then we find out it is not the case, once we're so far into the booking that it cannot be changed.

Their final payment dates are definitely a year plus prior to sailing

They are just building a new ship that will sail oceans not rivers.

It is suppose to be launched approx. June 2015.

The final payment date for that season is Dec. 2013.

And lets not forget that 2 for 1 continual promo, that deceives the public into thinking that they are actually getting a half price cruise.

They double the price and then cut it in half. It's a well known fact.

No one would ever pay the price that they cross out!!!

One thing that I don't understand, is how people think that a travel agent can possibly reduce a Shipboard credit.

They would have no control over that credit. It is Viking that controls all of that

not the travel agent.

It is also Viking that states it on the invoice, that is sent to the agency.

I hope that the OP has a great cruise, but please don't think that all your issues are the agent's fault.

I speak from experience.

Boy are you late to the party! And thinking you did not read the entire thread, nor have you seen the posts from this thread removed by Cruise Critic. Had you been been able to see the entire picture of the OP's situation you may have kept your comments to yourself.

Yes of course we value the hard working and great Travel Agents that many of us use. They are worth their weight in gold. But as in any business there are folks who are at best incompetent and at worst possibly deceitful.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

Edited by nana541

My main point was to not believe all that Viking is saying.

Buyer beware!!!!

This applies totally to the TA as well though, as witnessed by the information which was/is in this thread.

Also for balance I'd have to add that the issues you referenced regarding '2 for 1' deals and long advance payments seem to be quite different in the various geographic markets that Viking operate in.

The UK end of the organization has no fake '2 for 1' offers and only requires payment 10 weeks before departure (25% deposit though) even when taking advantage of a very good promotional early booking offer.

The virtually the whole cruise industry has taken part in the '2 for 1' nonsense for years now, I just hope that like some others Viking will move away from such things in the USA market as they have already done elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Viking final payment dates are really a joke. I have been on 31 ocean cruises on all of the major cruise lines and they make final payment 90 to 120 days before sail date.

My wife and I decided to try river cruising and we did have a wonderful time on Viking's China trip last year. Being our 1st river cruise I didn't realize other river cruise lines had final payment dates within the 90 to 120 day window. Because we booked this cruise about 7.5 months before sail date I just paid the total and did not complain.

Now I received a book showing that Viking is building an ocean cruise ship to start sailing in spring of 2015. I had my TA hold a cabin for a May 30, 2015, sailing date and then found out they wanted the total payment by Dec of 2013. I first thought it was a mistake in the year assuming they meant Dec 2014 which would still be 5 months before sailing date.

I was mistaken! They actually wanted total payment almost 18 months early. I refused to do it and walked away. Why should I have to tie up 13K for 18 months. Especially since no other ocean cruise line requires this. Since I want a more luxurious cruise I will wait for Oceania to announce their 2015 cruise schedule.

Viking will lose a lot of business with this policy!

Edited by stockman41

Viking final payment dates are really a joke. I have been on 31 ocean cruises on all of the major cruise lines and they make final payment 90 to 120 days before sail date.

My wife and I decided to try river cruising and we did have a wonderful time on Viking's China trip last year. Being our 1st river cruise I didn't realize other river cruise lines had final payment dates within the 90 to 120 day window. Because we booked this cruise about 7.5 months before sail date I just paid the total and did not complain.

Now I received a book showing that Viking is building an ocean cruise ship to start sailing in spring of 2015. I had my TA hold a cabin for a May 30, 2015, sailing date and then found out they wanted the total payment by Dec of 2013. I first thought it was a mistake in the year assuming they meant Dec 2014 which would still be 5 months before sailing date.

I was mistaken! They actually wanted total payment almost 18 months early. I refused to do it and walked away. Why should I have to tie up 13K for 18 months. Especially since no other ocean cruise line requires this. Since I want a more luxurious cruise I will wait for Oceania to announce their 2015 cruise schedule.

Viking will lose a lot of business with this policy!

I couldn't agree with you more. Mr. Hagen wants your money to build his ship.

Terri

Edited by tbrein

• 4 months later...

Being charged a higher price after putting down your deposit is not legal. You have agreed to the final price after putting down a deposit.

Let's say you walked into Best Buy for a new TV. You purchased the new Flat Screen TV at $800 and had it home for 3 days . Then you get a call from the Manager of the store saying" We made a mistake the TV should really have been $1,500 could you give us your credit card for the remaining amount? This is unethical because once you left the store and paid for the product at the quoted price the merchant can't call you back for more money.

If you paid a higher price then your owed a refund. My point is how did they arrive at a higher amount?

Edited by travelplus

Being charged a higher price after putting down your deposit is not legal. You have agreed to the final price after putting down a deposit.

Let's say you walked into Best Buy for a new TV. You purchased the new Flat Screen TV at $800 and had it home for 3 days . Then you get a call from the Manager of the store saying" We made a mistake the TV should really have been $1,500 could you give us your credit card for the remaining amount? This is unethical because once you left the store and paid for the product at the quoted price the merchant can't call you back for more money.

If you paid a higher price then your owed a refund. My point is how did they arrive at a higher amount?

Gotta wonder exactly what you are referring to as this is an old thread, last post June 23, 2013????

You might also ask what Law School travelplus graduated from? This sounds like daytime TV judge law :rolleyes:

Sorry this entire post just makes no sense at all! Just kinda random and seeming to have nothing to do with this old thread.

But then I'm easily confused :)

I just found this "old" thread. We booked a Viking River Cruise in March 2013 for a cruise on April 4, 2014. Our final payment is due November 29, 2013, which is a little over four months prior to the cruise. My TA explained that although Viking requests payment at the end of the month the cruise is booked, the TA is able to ask for extensions, which was granted in our case. Apparently, this might be one of those best kept secrets.

Hope you enjoy your cruise now that everything is straightened out. I was pleased to notice that Viking is monitoring these boards and reaches out to dissatisfied customers.

Edited by emileg

We now have 5 couples going on a September 2014 trip...no special pricing other than the referral fees. Guess we should have checked this out first but we did each book on different days although through the same TA. Perhaps she never thought of a group rate...shame on all of us for no research...we will know next time!

Maybe Viking will surprise us with something extra special once we are onboard!!! When we cruised together in the Galapagos the captain flew the burgee of our Yacht Club :)!! Our African Safari was special everyday!!!!

We a looking forward to a wonderful Viking Experience!!!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping plan the trip!

I just don't get it. Airlines require full payment when you book. No one seems to complain about that! Not to mention airlines don't provide for cancellation.

If you don't like the payment policy, don't book.

Airlines only do that with the cheap fares. River cruise lines charge top fares, so the more apt comparison would be airline business class.