Iphone help

I found this info on the AT&T site for mobile international calling. It has been helpful in the past.

Helpful Tips About GSM Roaming

Q. How do I minimize my data charges when I use my iPhone outside the U.S.?

A. The iPhone has many robust applications, so it's natural for users to transfer more data on their iPhone than they would using other handsets or PDA devices. AT&T offers the following tips to keep your bill predictable:

–Turn Data Roaming “OFF”

–Use Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE

–Turn Fetch New Data “OFF”

–Consider purchasing an international data package

–Reset the usage tracker to zero

-Use airplane mode to assure apps are disabled.

Your GSM phone assumes the characteristics of the wireless network in each country you visit. So if you are traveling in Italy, your phone will work like a local Italian wireless device.

While roaming outside the U.S., be sure to make all international calls using the international format (+, country code, number). For example, to place an international call back to the United States, dial +1, then the area code and number (the U.S. country code is "1"). In most GSM devices, holding down the 0 key will cause the + sign to appear.

The 911 emergency number is unique to the U.S. In many European countries, the emergency number for police, fire, or ambulance is 112. Outside Europe, emergency numbers will vary by country.

If you have problems or questions while roaming outside the U.S., contact AT&T by calling +1-916-843-4685 (a free call from your wireless phone).

So much good info here. Leaving for Bermud in a few weeks.

But just to get it straight, if I turn Data Roaming off for the whole trip I won't get any suprises when my bill comes but I will be able to get and recieve calls and or text messages.

That is my main objective. I don't want or need to check emails or web, just want to keep in touch with home with getting and recieving calls & texts.

I do understand that calls & texts will be subject to international & cruise ship rates. Think the ship is $2.50 a minute for calls.

I have no problem paying the rates that apply for the calls and texts just don't want any other charges.

So much good info here. Leaving for Bermud in a few weeks.

But just to get it straight, if I turn Data Roaming off for the whole trip I won't get any suprises when my bill comes but I will be able to get and recieve calls and or text messages.

That is my main objective. I don't want or need to check emails or web, just want to keep in touch with home with getting and recieving calls & texts.

I do understand that calls & texts will be subject to international & cruise ship rates. Think the ship is $2.50 a minute for calls.

I have no problem paying the rates that apply for the calls and texts just don't want any other charges.

This is correct.

Bell, we just turn off data,

We still get some calls coming in but if do not answer them , no charge ....

This is not true for AT&T Customers! If your phone is turned on and rings then you still get charged for the call, sometimes double, if the call goes to voice mail. Worse yet - if you have an iPhone you can't even access the voice mail without using data so if you have data roaming turned off then you can't get your voice mail. The following is from AT&T's FAQ found on this link (Click here):

Q. How am I charged for voicemail calls while roaming internationally? A. Voicemail calls are charged as follows:

When your device is on:

• Calls that you do not answer that are routed to the AT&T voicemail system will be charged as an international roaming incoming call to your device.
  • In addition, the foreign carrier's routing of that call to the AT&T voicemail system may generate an outgoing call charge from your device's location to the U.S.
  • These charges apply even if the caller disconnects from the voicemail system without leaving a message.

If your device is turned off or in flight mode and the wireless network is off:

• When someone tries to call you, the call will go directly to your personal voicemail greeting.
  • Since the network does not try to deliver the call to you in a foreign country, there are no international roaming charges.

When receiving Visual Voicemail messages on your smartphone or Apple® iPhone®:

• Visual Voicemail messages received when roaming outside of the U.S. will be charged at international roaming data rates, either at the international pay-per-use data rate or against your smartphone or iPhone international data package.

This is not true for AT&T Customers! If your phone is turned on and rings then you still get charged for the call, sometimes double, if the call goes to voice mail. Worse yet - if you have an iPhone you can't even access the voice mail without using data so if you have data roaming turned off then you can't get your voice mail. The following is from AT&T's FAQ found on this link (Click here):

Sucks to be with AT&T ,

Time to change then

Hey guys, turn off the DATA CELLULAR (different from data roaming) no need to put in airplane mode. Set up a SKYPE account. (download the app) When you are in a wifi area you can make all of the calls you want. A Skype international account is very inexpensive and on a month to month basis so you don't need a contract. Maybe $20 for the month (I'd have to ask my husband). Since it works through the internet there are NO additional phone charges. We had to call the airlines from Athens once and were on the phone for an hour. No additional charges. There is also VIBER. Talk and text. No charges. just download the app. Very easy.

Hey guys, turn off the DATA CELLULAR (different from data roaming) no need to put in airplane mode....

Yes they are different, but not all that different and just turning off Data Roaming (or making sure it is already off) will do the trick. Turning off Data Roaming turns off data services when you are away from your home area and prevents international data charges from being incurred. Turning off Data Cellular turns off data services everyplace - even when you are in your home area.

Yes they are different, but not all that different and just turning off Data Roaming (or making sure it is already off) will do the trick. Turning off Data Roaming turns off data services when you are away from your home area and prevents international data charges from being incurred. Turning off Data Cellular turns off data services everyplace - even when you are in your home area.

Yes, I was just talking about when one is out of the country and this will prevent your phone from hitting any cellular activity that would cause a charge from At&t or Verizon or whoever but you will still have access to the internet to retrieve mail and make calls on Skype or surf the web. Then once back in the USA to turn it back on.

Hi Simon, I have followed your posts and pics on aft cabins as my last 8 cruises have been aft and you were a world of information for me. I thank you for that.

My plan based on the above is to do what work I must using a laptop and paying for wi-fi access aboard ship. I can be fast, and as I understand it I am simply paying by the minute for the wi-fi, no data charges on RCCL.

As for phone, I will go with Skype, account is setup with a prepaid 10 bucks, and I will set the 3 switches on my i-phone. Cellular Data OFF, Data Roaming OFF, and put it in airplane mode ON. Wish I could leave it at home, but sometimes you just have to talk.

Will preset a voicemail message that says if you need assistance call X. X can communicate with me if needed (Skype, text, email, etc).

If anyopne sees flaws in this I would appreciate your guidance.

...As for phone, I will go with Skype...

Might be able to use Skype on land but it will probably not work on the ship. Most reports I've read indicate that Skype voice is blocked on the ship although every now and then I see a report where someone claims it worked for them. If calls are important you might have to just pay the going rate on the ship - although even then the service won't be great.

For those planning to text pictures or videos using Verizon, if you send picture/video texts over 350 KB, it is considered data and not a text. If you have data roaming turned off, it will remain unsent until you either 1) turn on data roaming or 2) connect to a WiFi server. I had a problem with that last month.

My plan based on the above is to do what work I must using a laptop and paying for wi-fi access aboard ship. I can be fast, and as I understand it I am simply paying by the minute for the wi-fi, no data charges on RCCL.

As for phone, I will go with Skype, account is setup with a prepaid 10 bucks, and I will set the 3 switches on my i-phone. Cellular Data OFF, Data Roaming OFF, and put it in airplane mode ON. Wish I could leave it at home, but sometimes you just have to talk.

Will preset a voicemail message that says if you need assistance call X. X can communicate with me if needed (Skype, text, email, etc).

If anyopne sees flaws in this I would appreciate your guidance.

Cellular Data OFF, Data roaming OFF. Do not put in airplane mode or nothing will work.

Might be able to use Skype on land but it will probably not work on the ship. Most reports I've read indicate that Skype voice is blocked on the ship although every now and then I see a report where someone claims it worked for them. If calls are important you might have to just pay the going rate on the ship - although even then the service won't be great.

But Skype works through the internet only (not a phone signal) so how could that be blocked? Just like sending an email I would think. Just asking as I have never tried on a ship because I never purchased the ships wifi . And then again there is VIBER, text and talk through the internet.

Cruise lines use software to block Skype and other high-bandwidth sites the same way some work places or libraries block websites with questionable content. There is software (similar to parental controls on home computers) that block a website from loading when using the ship's WiFi network. For example, I cannot check my Victoria's Secret account online at work. When I try, I get a page that says my work place does not allow viewing of that webpage.

Cruise lines use software to block Skype and other high-bandwidth sites the same way some work places or libraries block websites with questionable content. There is software (similar to parental controls on home computers) that block a website from loading when using the ship's WiFi network. For example, I cannot check my Victoria's Secret account online at work. When I try, I get a page that says my work place does not allow viewing of that webpage.

Those dirty rats!!!

Limiting access to websites that have high bandwidth usage makes sense if you think about it. The ship has internet access via satellite signal. There is a finite amount of bandwith received from the satellite. If a couple people are using most of it for Skype connections, then other passengers will have even slower than the usually slow connection speeds or be unable to access the internet at all. Since the internet is billed by the minute onboard, passengers get upset when something that should take 5 minutes takes 20 because of a slow connection. I try to use the internet either late night or early morning because there are fewer users so the speed is faster than afternoons or evenings when more people are sharing the signal.

Celebrity isn't the only cruise line that blocks Skype. I know HAL and RC also block it, although I've read that RC has upgraded their satellite services on some ships and may be allowing it now.

Archived