Iphone help

There is no extra charge from the phone carrier company when using WiFi

I hope no one is confused by Iamcruzin's post above, and thinks that ALL wi-fi is always free, or that wi-fi on the ship is free. If you are confused, please read Lsimon's reply below.

Whether you incurred charges or not at the cafe depends on if they charge for WiFi - but this is billed by the cafe and not by your cell phone company so you'll know it since you'll have to log on and buy access. This is a similar situation as using your phone on Celebrity's wi-fi system on the ship - you have to set up an account on the ship and log into it and then it is billed at $0.75 for every minute you are connected and the charge goes to your on-board account.

I turned off data and cellular roaming and had the phone in airplane mode as an extra precaution.

I assure you that all of that is not necessary. Generally speaking, any ONE will do the trick:

Turning off cellular data: You can't get cellular data when roaming and you can't get cellular data any other time either, even if you are at home on your own carrier's network. End result: No data roaming charges on the cruise. You'll still be able to send/receive calls/texts over the voice network (roaming) for a charge, and use free or for-fee wi-fi for data, and for texting via wi-fi (ex. i-messaging)

Turning off data roaming: You can't get cellular data when roaming, but can still get it at home on your own carrier's network. End result: No data roaming charges on the cruise. You'll still be able to to send/receive calls/texts over the voice network (roaming) for a charge, and use free or for-fee wi-fi for data, and for texting via wi-fi (ex. i-messaging)

Airplane mode: You can't get cellular data and you can't send/receive calls/texts over the voice network. End result: No data roaming charges on the cruise, and no voice roaming charges on the cruise. You can still use free or for-fee wi-fi for data, and for texting via wi-fi (ex. i-messaging)

As you can see, any of the 3 options individually will prevent you from getting a big data roaming bill when you get home from your cruise. Options 1 and 2 are technically different, but for purposes of cruising yield the same end result. Option 3 also removes any chance of voice roaming charges resulting from calls/texts.

I assure you that all of that is not necessary. Generally speaking, any ONE will do the trick:

Turning off cellular data: You can't get cellular data when roaming and you can't get cellular data any other time either, even if you are at home on your own carrier's network. End result: No data roaming charges on the cruise. You'll still be able to send/receive calls/texts over the voice network (roaming) for a charge, and use free or for-fee wi-fi for data, and for texting via wi-fi (ex. i-messaging)

Turning off data roaming: You can't get cellular data when roaming, but can still get it at home on your own carrier's network. End result: No data roaming charges on the cruise. You'll still be able to to send/receive calls/texts over the voice network (roaming) for a charge, and use free or for-fee wi-fi for data, and for texting via wi-fi (ex. i-messaging)

Airplane mode: You can't get cellular data and you can't send/receive calls/texts over the voice network. End result: No data roaming charges on the cruise, and no voice roaming charges on the cruise. You can still use free or for-fee wi-fi for data, and for texting via wi-fi (ex. i-messaging)

As you can see, any of the 3 options individually will prevent you from getting a big data roaming bill when you get home from your cruise. Options 1 and 2 are technically different, but for purposes of cruising yield the same end result. Option 3 also removes any chance of voice roaming charges resulting from calls/texts.

Great information. This should be a "sticky" somewhere on CC!

Thanks, just trying to help! One thing I meant to add is that when you turn off data roaming, your phone may default to wi-fi being disabled too. If that happens, just go into settings and click "enable wi-fi" if you want to use it during your cruise to check email or whatever.

Also, I think this was touched on earlier but to clarify again:

You will not need to worry about unexpected wi-fi charges. If you connect to a for-fee wi-fi network, you will be notified beforehand about the fees because you will have to agree to the fees and offer a form of payment. If that doesn't happen, it's a free wi-fi network. The ship charges for wi-fi, but many bars and restaurants in port have free wi-fi, though you may have to ask for a password to log on.

I realize that but It just makes it easier to view the airplane icon and the Wifi icon to know that I will not be connecting through data or cellular usage.

I realize that but It just makes it easier to view the airplane icon and the Wifi icon to know that I will not be connecting through data or cellular usage.

Then just put the phone in airplane mode and don't worry about turning off cellular data and data roaming as well. Really, you do not need to do all 3. :)

Then just put the phone in airplane mode and don't worry about turning off cellular data and data roaming as well. Really, you do not need to do all 3. :)

Not a good idea because if I take it out of airplane mode accidentally than all my emails and other apps that update via data will come pouring in once it's out of airplane mode.

Not a good idea because if I take it out of airplane mode accidentally than all my emails and other apps that update via data will come pouring in once it's out of airplane mode.

If your data roaming is off, there is no way anything like email downloading or app updates can happen..they need a data network connection to work. When you are out of your home network, roaming takes over, but if you have it off, there is no way your phone can connect.

Taking it out of airplane mode with data roaming disabled is basically the same effect.

If your data roaming is off, there is no way anything like email downloading or app updates can happen..they need a data network connection to work. When you are out of your home network, roaming takes over, but if you have it off, there is no way your phone can connect.

Taking it out of airplane mode with data roaming disabled is basically the same effect.

Read the replies above. The poster in question had already planned to have data roaming off. I told him it wasn't necessary to have data roaming AND cellular data off AND have it in airplane mode, but he then said he likes to "see," via the airplane icon, that it's in airplane mode to be sure he won't get data charges. So I said if he did that, he didn't have to ALSO have data roaming off. But apparently he is afraid he will somehow "accidentally" take it out of airplane mode. Putting a phone in or out of airplane mode is a very deliberate 2 step process; it's not like you can just accidentally press a button on the side of the phone and poof! it's out of of airplane mode. But if the poster is still worried, so be it.

I like to make a note for people who do need phone and text service. You need to contact your carrier if you need international services. I know verizon recently has shutoff international calling and texting. I am currently in Lebanon and I could not use any of the services as international use was not turned off. I needed text messaging and had to email our rep to enable this.

All others who don't want a surprise bill follow the instructions above.

This post is just in time for me. Today I purchased an I-phone 4S at Verizon so that I would have international roaming. What I was told was I did not have to purchase the International Calling option since the 4S will give me International Roaming. Now, I will only be using the phone for contacting my transportation company in England and for emergency calls so the extra charges for roaming don't mean much to me and I save $4 a month by not buying the international calling plan. Also, I don't have to rent an international phone anymore.

However, since this is my first I-phone may I please ask a question? How do I turn off data roaming? I looked in Settings but don't see it. I'm a total newbie with Apple. Sorry Android but so far I really love the I-phone and wish I would have purchased one earlier.

Thanks.

I don't believe your 4S will work with Verizon in England. I was just there last fall. Not all countries are the same. Better double check.

I don't believe your 4S will work with Verizon in England. I was just there last fall. Not all countries are the same. Better double check.

I used my 4S in England 2 weeks ago. Verizon is my provider.

Your phone goes on roaming and picks up another carrier, so yes, it does work out of the U.S., but it is very expensive to use. You can call Verizon (or whoever is your home provider) and have them set you up with an international calling plan, which would save you money if you plan on using your phone often.

I have found, on occasion, that I have missed calls and messages when MiPhone is in Airplane Mode. I assumed they would stay in the ether and be retrieved by the phone once it was out of Airplane Mode. But that hasn't been the case. Therefore, I avoid Airplane Mode when possible. I have AT&T as a provider; I don't know if that makes a difference.

On a side note, Celebrity is now offering AT&T Cruise Ship packages (on select ships)... not a help to those on other carriers.

I didn't read this entire post so I don't know what has been said previously but I have used my iphone all over the world. I set up a Skype account and when you are in port find a place that has free wifi and you can call to your hearts content. There is also Viber which allows you to call and text. I turn off the cellular data only and keep it off and am able to check my email, surf the web etc. with a wifi connection. Never paid for the wifi on the ship, just waited until we were in port. Just make sure to turn off the cellular data to prevent hitting any cells that may charge your phone.

Your phone goes on roaming and picks up another carrier, so yes, it does work out of the U.S., but it is very expensive to use. You can call Verizon (or whoever is your home provider) and have them set you up with an international calling plan, which would save you money if you plan on using your phone often.

Since I will be making only 2 or 3 calls they said the international plan would be a waste of money for me. Just so long as it works is all I care about.

You never want to use the international data roaming without a package! Here is some info for comparison and a frame of reference:

ATT rates for international roaming are probably similar to Verizon. If you do not have a package they bill at $0.0195/KB. To put this in perspective the minimum package (not good on cruise ship) runs $30 for 120MB. Without a package that same 120MB would cost you $2,400 and I've run through an entire 120MB package during a cruise just using it at ports of call.

What about heavy use? A lot of people have 3GB allowances at home on their iPhone, although few use nearly that much. Divided by 30 that would be 100MB a day which would cost $2,000/day at the non-package international rates.

If you are logged onto a wi-fi system then you are not using cellular data so there would be no cellular data charges. But to make sure you get no cellular data charges you need to leave your data roaming turned off!! There is no reason, and no need, to turn it on if you are going to a wireless cafe to use their wifi, or using wifi on the ship at the ship's rate ($0.75/minute). One should never turn the data roaming on unless they are covered by am international data roaming package purchased through their cell phone company. Even then you only want to turn it on when needed and then off when finished, and keep track of your usage.

Whether you incurred charges or not at the cafe depends on if they charge for WiFi - but this is billed by the cafe and not by your cell phone company so you'll know it since you'll have to log on and buy access. This is a similar situation as using your phone on Celebrity's wi-fi system on the ship - you have to set up an account on the ship and log into it and then it is billed at $0.75 for every minute you are connected and the charge goes to your on-board account.

Thank you so much for the info. I will leave the data roaming off for the entire trip!!!

Thank you so much for the info. I will leave the data roaming off for the entire trip!!!

There is never a need to turn data roaming on. Ever. Even after your trip is over. Only exception is if you've bought an International Data Roaming Package for specific trip and even then you only turn it on for short periods as needed and then turn it off when done being online.

They assured me the 4S would but not the 4. I guess I'll see.

The 4 does not have a SIM card which is what you need for international calls. We have both 4 and upgraded to 4s. We had Verizon activate the SIM card on my wife's phone incase we needed it in an emergency.

Archived