Any recommendations for a historical FP book?

ALB0711

I'm searching around for a nice read on our upcoming Tahiti and Cook Islands cruise. My first thought was Michener's South Pacific - but after reading Amazon reviews, it appears that is more about his life then the history of the islands and their people.

Any recommendations?

Thx!

I also recommend Typee, although if you're not actually going to the Marquesas the impact would be less.

How about Mutiny on the Bounty?

When I was a teenager, I read Thor Heyerdahl's first book, "Fatu Hiva", which was about his trip with his first wife to that island, and their attempt to live like natives. Again, it's specific to the Marquesas, and it's been a *long* time since I read it, but it started me on my lifelong desire to see the South Pacific.

I wouldn't discount "Tales of the South Pacific" either, although I admit I haven't read it--some Michener is great, other books not so much, don't know where this one falls.

We are looking forward to hearing Mark's talks and taking his tour in Morrea. Now I've got to read Bounty!

We were kind of thinking your review when you get back would be a good read.

Here's a couple more:

Mr. Bligh's Bad Langauge by Greg Dening was the book Mark Eddowes recommended to me when I asked for his favorite on the Bounty. Though I might suggest saving that til you return so you can really enjoy the freshness of his talk if you are not overly familiar with the topic.

And although it is contemporary fiction, not historical narrative, any of the three novels by Celeste Vaite (Breadfruit, Frangipani, and TIare in Blossom) will give you a good flavor of life in Tahiti now. The books have a nice sense of humor, and the description of everyday life will be observed by you and further enhanced by Eddowes' talks on society and culture.

For an excellent account of Tahiti before and during the arrival of Europeans, see Anne Salmond (2009), Aphrodite's Island: The European discovery of Tahiti. Though long (537 pp.) and erudite, Prof. Salmon's book is well written and illustrated, and provides much information about the Tahitian as well as the European perspectives.

Her more recent (2011) Bligh: William Bligh in the South Seas, written in a similar erudite but approachable style, is another attempt to describe "what really happened".

Both books were first published by Penguin in N.Z. and Australia, and are published in North America by the University of California Press.

John

The Endeavor Journal of Sir Joseph Banks, botanist on Captain Cook's voyage through Polynesia, 1768-1771, was the book which began my love affair with travel journals (particularly maritime exploration.) You can read about how the very islands you will be sailing to were experienced by the first Western explorers.

The Endeavor Journal of Sir Joseph Banks, botanist on Captain Cook's voyage through Polynesia, 1768-1771, was the book which began my love affair with travel journals (particularly maritime exploration.) You can read about how the very islands you will be sailing to were experienced by the first Western explorers.

Joseph Banks' Endeavour Journal is available online at http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks05/0501141h.html

John

Wow! Thanks everyone for these amazing suggestions. I love reading about places I've been when I get back - keeps it alive for me. Can anyone tell me if there is a library on board the PG?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived