Amsterdam- No Power while at the pier in Seattle

LeftcoastBC

Just reporting for interest.

Last evening while switching from Shore power to Ship for sail away. Power to the ship went out. No lights in rooms no toilets etc. After several attempts..restart was accomplished and we sail 5 hours late after everything was checked & considered safe to do so. Updates were provided by Captain over PA.

Arrived on time in Vancouver of course as there was hardly any distance involved.

Three ships in at Canada Place and I assume that the ship will leave on time for it's first AK trip of the season shortly .

BTW. Power was supplied all the while to the cash registers so the bars were open.;) so aux. power runs important things.

One elevator worked also.

Just reporting for interest.

Last evening while switching from Shore power to Ship for sail away. Power to the ship went out. No lights in rooms no toilets etc. After several attempts..restart was accomplished and we sail 5 hours late after everything was checked & considered safe to do so. Updates were provided by Captain over PA.

Arrived on time in Vancouver of course as there was hardly any distance involved.

Three ships in at Canada Place and I assume that the ship will leave on time for it's first AK trip of the season shortly .

BTW. Power was supplied all the while to the cash registers so the bars were open.;) so aux. power runs important things.

One elevator worked also.

What happened with dinner?

We were only delayed about 45 mins. I guessed that aux power was working there. But it was obvious that the air conditioning was not working in the kitchen as the guys came out dripping themselves. Power came on about the time of mains arrival.

A lot of smoke from cooking flowed out of the waiters entrance from downstairs kitchen. Kinda smelled like an upscale Burger King for a while. :rolleyes:

We were on the upper floor level. And it was warm there also. Kinda like the first night of a Caribbean cruise but we all had long pants and sleeves on.

I thought it was only the Vista and Signature classes that had the ability to connect to shore power?

If so, maybe it was a blackout caused when the started to prepare to sail rather than disconnecting from shore power.

I thought it was only the Vista and Signature classes that had the ability to connect to shore power?

If so, maybe it was a blackout caused when the started to prepare to sail rather than disconnecting from shore power.

The Amsterdam and Zaandam connect, not sure about how many others.

Probably the transfer switch malfunctioned on the handover.

Last evening while switching from Shore power to Ship for sail away.

I have been on more than 25 cruises and have never seen a cruise ship on shore power. Most generate all their own electricity, 24 hours/day.

Many cruise ships use diesel powered generators to run electric propulsion units.

I would guess they had a problem while increasing the electric output to handle the propulsion system.

Although smaller ships may use shore power, which may be the case here.

Interesting.

I have been on more than 25 cruises and have never seen a cruise ship on shore power. Most generate all their own electricity, 24 hours/day.

Many cruise ships use diesel powered generators to run electric propulsion units.

I would guess they had a problem while increasing the electric output to handle the propulsion system.

Although smaller ships may use shore power, which may be the case here.

Interesting.

We have gone green here in the West coast. Vancouver also is able to take those idling engines out of the production of pollution while docked. More terminals are added annually around the world.

If I remember correctly, when the Amsterdam was in Seattle last year and the year before -- Smith Cove (pier 91) -- they also used the Shore Power.

Your memory is NOT failing you !!:p:D Amsterdam is shorepower-equipped.

Cheers

I stand corrected! I think the idea of shore power is good as it reduces possible pollution in the ports and now the ships have to use higher grade fuel whilst alongside it must save the line money so therefore the price of cruises doesn't go up as much as it could!.

Of course, the green credentials go out of the window if they get the electric from a "dirty" source!

We were also onboard and captain informed guests that "all 5 breakers" had failed. Probably could have left earlier but had to have Coast Guard inspect before we were allowed to leave. We were on the port side looking down and never saw anyone taken away on a stretcher. Not sure where that report came from!

Archived