My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

I.Air Canada is currently listing Toronto to Havana at $675 pp.

Has anyone else booked flights from Toronto or hotels?

Even with taxes taking it to $708., I would not balk at that or delay too long because our last flight to Havana from Toronto costs us over $1,200 per person due to we waiting until the last moment to book. (As embarrassing as it sounds and really is, we were never sure the Cristal was indeed going to make it to Cuba and only when she was half way across the Atlantic did we believe it and so we then booked.)

We booked the Inglanterra for it's location in old Havana but chose a more modern hotel for our pre departure. We will avoid Old Havana this time for two reason, a) it is too hectic and antiquated. b) To get to see and experience the old city it is but a cheap cab ride from the outskirts of Havana to the centre. You will not miss anything and end up paying half the price and be in a much more tranquil setting.

Hi all!

burm ~ that's one of the reasons we took Cristal out of Montego Bay as you would have to stay another night in Havana after the cruise because of the flight time.

Ron ~ I see Portabella is celebrating an anniversary but forget which one, could it be 10? It's still pretty much the best restaurant in Town.;)

Have a nice weekend folks.

~ Jo ~ :)

Balloon Man - do you know if either pools are large or rectangular. We love swimming laps and or always looking for pools that work. Nowdays they are usually tiny!

I can only speak for the Iberostar, which was a good size - compared to cruise ship pools! But I've never found anywhere in the world to which I've been a city hotel with a large swimming pool.

We booked the Inglanterra for it's location in old Havana but chose a more modern hotel for our pre departure. We will avoid Old Havana this time for two reason, a) it is too hectic and antiquated. b) To get to see and experience the old city it is but a cheap cab ride from the outskirts of Havana to the centre. You will not miss anything and end up paying half the price and be in a much more tranquil setting.

Yes, you can take a cab (if there is one) and pay to be taken to the original and most interesting parts of Havana, and then pay to take a cab back to the sort of hotel you can stay in anywhere, or you can walk out the door and enjoy "hectic" Old Havana. Sorry ONT-CA but I'm not with you on this one.

The $675 included taxes, but I just realized that the flight home on Feb 23 leaves at 7:55 AM. That won't work! Of course, once I changed dates, the cost went up. :mad:

Problem solved! We will still fly one week in advance and stay 3 nights post cruise. The lower cost for flying home at a later date pays for accommodation.:D

We are thinking of booking a Casa Particular in Vedado pre cruise and a hotel in bustling Habana Vieja for the 3 nights after.

The owner of the Casa Particular has recommended a similar place with a nice family in Vinales for one night. This would make a pleasant side trip if the details work out.

Now that our flight is booked, I am happy to say that our plans are now formally written in stone! :D

If for any reason this cruise is cancelled, I am sure we will still enjoy 17 days in cuba. I would be disappointed but not overly concerned.

Yes, you can take a cab (if there is one) and pay to be taken to the original and most interesting parts of Havana, and then pay to take a cab back to the sort of hotel you can stay in anywhere, or you can walk out the door and enjoy "hectic" Old Havana. Sorry ONT-CA but I'm not with you on this one.

Well Balloon Man there are many factors to be taken into consideration. For the new tourist Havana is not the "Bing Crosby/Bob Hope" Havana of yesteryear but unquestionably a must see. It is in bad need of repair which obviously is underway. But having fallen twice on the irregular and broken sidewalks has put me on my guard. Granted there is a treasure to see and do in Havana but none of which that cannot be done by coming into the city for the day. You could not adequately see Havana without some sort of transportation anyway. The noise and the exhaust fumes wander through the narrow streets of the capital and without going into the obvious causes that has brought this about, when one resides in a silvan, there is a habitat shock. I loved the Inglaterra for it's historical values but could have enjoyed experiencing it over a Cuba Libra at the roof garden bar without having to spend the night. And not all "other" hotels are carbon copies of ours for there are many unique experiences to be had as outlined in the many and previous posts.

Edited by ONT-CA

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since Ballon Man opened this thread and we commenced the tracking of the Louis Cristal across the Atlantic, we wondered why they would sail from Greece to Cuba without any passengers. Well we wonder no more. Just received the following:

Trans-atlantic Cruise!

Nov 28th, 25 day positioning cruise stopping in France, Spain, Morocco, Portugal, Barbados, St.Lucia, Jamaica & Cuba! Starting at just $1,460**

This incredible Positioning Cruise leaves Piraeus on November 28th with stops in Marseille, France - Barcelona, Spain - Tangier, Morocco - the island of Madeira, Portugal - Barbados - St. Lucia - Montego Bay, Jamaica - and three stops in Cuba before arriving in Havana on December 22. You can embark in Piraeus, Marseille or Barcelona!

Ever since Ballon Man opened this thread and we commenced the tracking of the Louis Cristal across the Atlantic, we wondered why they would sail from Greece to Cuba without any passengers. Well we wonder no more. Just received the following:

Trans-atlantic Cruise!

Nov 28th, 25 day positioning cruise stopping in France, Spain, Morocco, Portugal, Barbados, St.Lucia, Jamaica & Cuba! Starting at just $1,460**

This incredible Positioning Cruise leaves Piraeus on November 28th with stops in Marseille, France - Barcelona, Spain - Tangier, Morocco - the island of Madeira, Portugal - Barbados - St. Lucia - Montego Bay, Jamaica - and three stops in Cuba before arriving in Havana on December 22. You can embark in Piraeus, Marseille or Barcelona!

Oh no! Well, I mean oh yes - sounds like a really great cruise. Sadly we will be going around South America at the time, otherwise we would have been on-board.

HI all!

Ron ~ I received that email too! Looks like a great TA if you like them, more ports than usual.

There's also a holiday cruise starting from Montego Bay that could be interesting.

Balloon Man ~ I'm getting ready to book a tour going to the Cornwall area next year. Do you think June 7 is a better time to visit than April 19 please?

Take care.

Hello Jo

I live in Cornwall and would recommend the June date. The weather can be changeable at any time of the year and April can be lovely, especially with the spring flowers, camellias and rhododendrons. However, June has the advantage of lighter evenings making sight seeing so much easier.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Janet

Hi all!

Janet ~ thanks so much for that advice, June it'll be then.:D I just saw some pictures of a cruise that had a stop in England at the end of April & it was quite wet. The technician I had at the hospital yesterday is from England & said she wondered where the flowers were when she came to Canada in April as they're out back home in March. All recommendations point to June.

Sorry for going off topic but I think you all are understanding. Thanks.

I wonder what the weather on a TA crossing in early December would be.:confused:

HI all!

Ron ~ I received that email too! Looks like a great TA if you like them, more ports than usual.

There's also a holiday cruise starting from Montego Bay that could be interesting.

Balloon Man ~ I'm getting ready to book a tour going to the Cornwall area next year. Do you think June 7 is a better time to visit than April 19 please?

Take care.

I go with oldgables for June. The problem with the UK is we get whatever weather you guys on the other side of the pond send us! We live near Bristol if you happen to be passing this way.

I wonder what the weather on a TA crossing in early December would be.:confused: ~ Jo ~ :)

Good question Jo. We have made several TA's in September through early November but never this late. From what we read we will have rain and cool weather up to and exiting the Mediterranean at Gibraltar but the ship then sets a southwesterly course into warmer and dryer weather. Thereafter we find daily improvements as we approach the Caribbean. Our major concern is the size of the vessel in relation to Atlantic sea conditions. We asked some of the crew on last years cruise how the crossing went and they rolled their eyes and just said "rough" But we have an affinity for this ship and we are so bored with sailing horizontal stabilized hotels that we look forward to a bit of sea excitement. The SI cabin will of course make for a more forgiving crossing no matter the conditions. Also, we are looking forward to rejoining some of the ship's family. So much to look forward to so much to report thereafter

HI again!

Ron ~ are you saying you are booking the Cristal TA? :confused: I'd love to sail it in the Greek Islands but can't see that ever happening.

Balloon Man ~ thanks for your input. I'll be on a guided tour so there'll be no stopping by Bristol, 1st stop Port Isaac! I booked today for June 7 so quite a ways away.

Ciao

HI again!

Ron ~ are you saying you are booking the Cristal TA? :confused: I'd love to sail it in the Greek Islands but can't see that ever happening. ~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, you never know. They may well put together a cruise for the voyage home which could include the Greek islands, not unlike their Caribbean itinerary en route to Cuba.

And yes, we could not pass up an opportunity like this and plan to be aboard the Cristal in November for the crossing.

Hi all!

Ron ~ WTG! Can hardly wait to hear all about it!:D Will you still do the Feb. cruise too?

Balloon Man ~ talking about cruises wow you have a lot planned! I'm hoping to go to Valparaiso some day but it won't be until 2016 if at all.

Have a great weekend. Sure am enjoying the bounty in the County, fresh asparagus, peas & strawberries this time of year.

Hi all!

Ron ~ WTG! Can hardly wait to hear all about it!:D Will you still do the Feb. cruise too?

Balloon Man ~ talking about cruises wow you have a lot planned! I'm hoping to go to Valparaiso some day but it won't be until 2016 if at all.

Have a great weekend. Sure am enjoying the bounty in the County, fresh asparagus, peas & strawberries this time of year. ~ Jo ~ :)

Yes Jo, our February b2b Cuba Cruise is still on. We felt that as novices to the particulars of the first Cuba Cruise we have learned much and will do the next one somewhat differently and hopefully more successfully. Plus we will have interim stops at Cienfuegos and Havana in December. Just when I felt my cruising days were done along comes the Cristal offering the excitement of my first cruises.

The Bounty in the County is well earned after our horrendous winter. For it has been many years since our Spring and start to Summer was blessed with the right temperatures, amount of rain and sun and as you say, with this bounty that comes from it. Fall corn has got to be a gold medal winner.

HI all!

Ron ~ oh that's great! You'll know Cristal inside & out with all those days onboard! Glad to hear she's kept you cruising. Where will you embark, seems to me there was a few choices?

Looking forward to all that summer brings especially fish dinners & corn.;)

Happy 1st day of summer!

HI all!

Ron ~ oh that's great! You'll know Cristal inside & out with all those days onboard! Glad to hear she's kept you cruising. Where will you embark, seems to me there was a few choices?

Looking forward to all that summer brings especially fish dinners & corn.;)

Happy 1st day of summer!

Jo, we will be boarding at Athens not wanting to lose a day of the cruise. We have flight issues to resolve first but we will get there. We hope that some of the original crew will again be aboard and that they may remember us, for a big part of our concept of cruising is the ship's family.

Now that we have our flight ducks all lined up and in order we proceed to complete our booking. But we did want to cover a subject prior to this happening.

We had intended to book a cruise, almost any cruise, involving a fall transatlantic. Two main lines were contacted and we were told that they were all booked but that we could go on their waiting list. That we agreed to do. Deposits were made to both. Month after month passed and we heard absolutley nothing.

As soon as we had the Louis Cristal booking secured, we called the other two cruise lines to cancel our waiting list positions. Suddenly, after all that time, and out of nowhere, there were now openings available to us in our requested categorie. We of course declined and will not contact these companies again.