My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi all!

burm ~ congrats on your Cuba cruise booking, going on Crystal eh?;)

Somebody on one of the threads (here or TA) said they went to a Varadero

AI then took an excursion to Havana to catch the ship & were able to arrange with the tour company to fly out the next week.

I'm hoping to see that SI cabin from one of you & yes Feb 16 is close to Valentine's Day so it might be during your occupancy, burm.

Looking forward to the Cuba cruise vicariously through you all.

~ Jo ~ :)

I'm hoping to see that SI cabin from one of you & yes Feb 16 is close to Valentine's Day so it might be during your occupancy, burm.

We could have a little party on the huge balcony. :D

I am going to have to go back when I have time next week and read what people have said about bringing alcohol on board. Are you allowed a couple of bottles of wine for in cabin use? Soft drinks?

What is the smoking policy?

So many questions, but until today I really didn't think we would be going.

We could have a little party on the huge balcony. :D

I am going to have to go back when I have time next week and read what people have said about bringing alcohol on board. Are you allowed a couple of bottles of wine for in cabin use? Soft drinks?

What is the smoking policy?

So many questions, but until today I really didn't think we would be going.

Rules for smoking and bringing on of alcohol are shown on Terms and Conditions on bottom of Your Cruise Conditions. It states that alcohol may be taken from you and returned at end of cruise. Someone in previous post said that they had no problem with bringing rum back on board in Havana or having it removed from checked bag. Saw nothing about soft drinks.

Smoking is permitted on board the ship only in specially designated areas and certain outdoor areas. Smoking in Cabins is NOT allowed at any time.

We are in SI 6000, 23 Jan from Montego Bay.

I think it relates to being on these boards and obsessively gathering info.

We have friends who have never cruised. They impulsively decided to join us, but could not have cared less about what cabin they booked. (Good as the SI cabins were gone) They will be visiting our balcony!

I think it relates to being on these boards and obsessively gathering info.

Absolutely!

I have never understood why cruiselines to do not do more for Cruise Critic groups (Oceania, our favourite cruiseline, does nothing). This forum definitely feeds our addiction. By receiving daily notifications and forming friendships with other avid cruisers, we are constantly immersed in a cruise culture. We were thinking of taking a land vacation to Peru next year, but thanks to Jo and others on this thread, we simply couldn't stop our fingers from pressing that "Book Now" button. :p

... With only 2 SI cabins on the ship, isn't it funny how so many people here have them? _:D

In all our cruises we have never seen a cabin like the SI. The deck is the clincher. And there being only two of them the demand is high. So if the early bird gets the worm, the most enthusiastic of us made our move. And based on the postings, all of us are already chomping at the bit ready to go, and we still have over 300 days to wait. Others who have their pick of remainder of the ship are not in such a hurry as we were to commit but with time that will change and that is when they take over the board.

For those as yet to occupy the SI:

Bathroom: The tub shower combination is enclosed in sliding panels, not a curtain. The towel rack is electric and with a flip of a switch will heat or dry your towel. There is a European 220V outlet in the bathroom but no 120V. We used a converter, as we prefer the small green panel night-light so as not to disturb. There is a fixed hairdryer built in. The floor is polished tile and when wet can be slippery calling for your bath mat. A decent size cabinet under the sink was welcomed, as was decent size shelfs to the side of it and above the sink for bottle goods, which were plentiful and premium. Oddly enough, facecloths are considered aboard this ship the luxury enticement. Did not note a means of exterior signaling in the event of an accident.

Bedroom: A separate opening from the hallway accesses each side of the bed. A full width drape is located mid point which can be drawn making the space totally private should other guests be located on the hide-a-bed. Night tables are adequate one bearing the alarm clock, the other one of the two telephones. Control switches for lights are on the wall above the table. We noted the reading lamps on many of the other rooms are retractable when not in use. Unfortunately the SI’s are not and pose a bit of a hindrance. The four panel mirrored wall slides open exposing a small walk-in closet with more than ample space for clothing including several live drawers… A light automatically aluminates upon opening. Suitcases can be stored here.

Living room: As you enter the space there is a desk and chair, which is ideal for computer, etc., but suitable as a vanity with several drawers. There are both 220V and 120V outlets available here. The second hair dryer was located here. We used a multiple three-prong North American insert for the 120V. To the side of the desk is a full closet containing shelves and drawers with an identical closet across the hall from it, which can hold suitcases. The long credenza, which conceals the fridge, has several cabinets and drawers. Glasses and ice bucket, tongs, etc., are found here. The large flat screen TV is bolted in place and here too is another 120V outlet available. We connected our DVD player to the receptacle panel of the TV in less than a minutes. The second telephone as well as a shaded lamp was located here. The seating area on the opposite side of the room seems ill placed for there is so much room available. One could see a large reception being held here. The sofa is large and comfortable with lots of throw pillows. The end tables contained lamps which when used without overhead lighting created a homey feeling. The very large coffee table is surrounded with three bucket chairs which are in my opinion a little too narrow for those of us who have accumulated a lot of cruises. Bar chairs are similarly shaped...

I think the deck has been amply covered.

Just wanted to add that in the living room, there are two very large windows adjacent the balcony door all of which are covered wall to wall with both shears and drapes. Staff will close these at night due to light reflection upon the bridge above.

Thanks for the summary.

With only 2 SI cabins on the ship, isn't it funny how so many people here have them? _:D

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Forums mobile app

I see that the SI cabin for the first sailing out of Havana is still shown available.

I see that the SI cabin for the first sailing out of Havana is still shown available.

As is ours and I imagine as is everyone's. I think they just show the variety not the availability in case you would like to then change your dates.

As is ours and I imagine as is everyone's. I think they just show the variety not the availability in case you would like to then change your dates.

Not so, if you want to see the availability go to the actual booking date. For instance for sailings from Havana on departure 2015-1-5 they show no SI or SJ, 3 SD and 1S available, not many other bookings.

Also what they are presently doing is allocating half the cabins/suites between Havana and Montego Bay. For instance 1 SI for Montego Bay and 1 SI for Havana of the 8SB 4 would be for Havana booking and 3 for Montego Bay.

When I booked my SI I asked for SI 6200 which was available but was allocated for Havana booking and instead could only have SI 6000 as I was boarding in Montego Bay.

When I booked my SI I asked for SI 6200 which was available but was allocated for Havana booking and instead could only have SI 6000 as I was boarding in Montego Bay.

Well, nevermind! You can come over to SI 6100 for a drink on the balcony after the 26th!!

You mean that they have added a new SI suite between SI 6000 and SI 6200? :)

I knew!!

I see that all the suites for sailings from Montego Bay on Jan 23 are booked. On your sailing on 26 Jan, 1-SB, 1-S and 2-SJ are still available.

When we first heard that we could board the Crital at either Havana, Cuba or at Montego Bay, Jamaica, our choice was Havana in part for the fact that we do not support tourism in Jamaica and the MB choice would necessitate accommodation there prior to the sailing. There are cost factors associated with this position when one realizes that, for example, Arrow Fan can fly into Montego Bay for less than half the cost of our flight to Havana. Air Canada seems to know a captured audience when it has one. The plus side of course is that by flying into Havana one has the choice to extend their stay pre and/or post cruise to better fulfill their objective to see Cuba. The exception being the package deals where both cruise and resort stays are combined resulting in less air cost included in the selling price although these separate costs are not outlined or shown. But again, unless anyone has heard to the contrary, arrival and departing schedules are stipulated and cannot be altered.

Although the two suites are allocated, one each for each weekly embarkation point, I doubt that the remainder of the availability is so reserved and so one assumes that the majority of passengers in any given cruise will board in Montego Bay due mainly to the low cost of flying. Should Cuba Cruise be able to enter into an agreement with an airline so that the cruise could be marketed to include air, the problem might then be that you have to arrive and depart as contracted without the option of arriving earlier or departing later for additional sightseeing.

When we first heard that we could board the Crital at either Havana, Cuba or at Montego Bay, Jamaica, our choice was Havana in part for the fact that we do not support tourism in Jamaica and the MB choice would necessitate accommodation there prior to the sailing. There are cost factors associated with this position when one realizes that, for example, Arrow Fan can fly into Montego Bay for less than half the cost of our flight to Havana. Air Canada seems to know a captured audience when it has one.

This is our position too. Too bad principle comes at a cost!!

I should thank ONT-CA for suggesting that I check U.S.Air for flights from Detroit. It was about 2A.M. that morning when I looked and could hardly believe the price. Whenever I check back now it's over $1200 for the 2 of us.

I should thank ONT-CA for suggesting that I check U.S.Air for flights from Detroit. It was about 2A.M. that morning when I looked and could hardly believe the price. Whenever I check back now it's over $1200 for the 2 of us.

So, I'm confused! Did you get a good deal?

My husband and I want to book a mid ships XF starboard cabin on Louis Cristal for the sailing from Havana on 16th February 2015. The availability shows only 3 cabins but the next page shows 10 cabins all port or aft. I suffer from sea-sickness so need midships. Does anyone know whether these are all the cabins available or whether others are available but not listed. Perhaps if I email the company direct I may get some help.

My husband and I want to book a mid ships XF starboard cabin on Louis Cristal for the sailing from Havana on 16th February 2015. The availability shows only 3 cabins but the next page shows 10 cabins all port or aft. I suffer from sea-sickness so need midships. Does anyone know whether these are all the cabins available or whether others are available but not listed. Perhaps if I email the company direct I may get some help.

There seems to be several interpretations of current availability aboard the Cristal so yes, I would suggest you contact them directly to book your needs. Be assured though that the waters around Cuba are not turbulent as one would find in a transatlantic voyage. There is motion, if you have been following our discussion on drawer movement :D but nothing in comparison to a crossing. Our cabin was at the very bow of the ship and were surprised at how gentle the heave.