My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

...ONT-CA, the coffee wifi of Jamaica , what is his name?, i read that the wifi of the ship is not very good, and in Cuba they say that very slow where it is. :confused:

I am sorry as I do not remember the name of the cafe. But there is only one cafe in that area. When you leave the ship and go through the terminal building, you will see many security guards dressed in uniform. When you exit the terminal building turn to the left and ask the security guard to allow you through the gate so that you may go to the cafe. You may have to show them your cruise card. You will find this cafe, I am sure. Buen Viaje

Hi all!

I think we'll probably do the HOHO bus so if anybody did it please let me know where you picked it up & how it was please.

Jo we did manage to catch the HOHO bus on our first day in Havana. We didn't make it off the ship until close to 4:45. We hadn't eaten since early morning so as soon as we boarded the ship we tried to find something to eat. That was around 3:00 and tea wasn't until 4:00, so as soon as we managed to grab some food we hurried off the ship and happened to walk out of the cruise terminal just as the last one for the day pulled up. It was well worth the money and wish we had more time to get off and on at different stops. If you go on it, be very careful if you are on the top and stand up. The hydro, power, and telephone lines that go across the street are very low. If you stand at the wrong time it could be bad news!! Also watch for the tree branches-they brush across the top right hand side at some points!

It seemed that after the first day in Havana the cruise company started extending the lunch time (buffet) for returning excursions. Not sure if someone complained about nowhere to eat when returning in the afternoon or if they have always done this. Maybe the time of our flight the first day was an abnormality, but there were 2 busloads from the airport and everyone was looking for somewhere to grab a bite to eat. Others have talked about easy check-ins, but that isn't what we experienced. We arrived at the airport at 12:30 and didn't get on board until close to 3:00. That isn't any worse than many other cruiselines, but I haven't read of others having to wait a long time to board for this cruise so thought I would let you know what we experienced. Maybe because there were so many of us arriving at once.

Heading out today for Havana. Boarding the ship Monday! So excited. Grabbed the SI and looking forward to a busy time in Havana and a big relax on a big deck!

This thread has been invaluable! Been following it for about a year and could not have planned our trip without it. Do not anticipate being on line while gone, but will post when I get back Feb.3rd. But you never know...bringing the ipad....

Thanks everyone!

Hello Liz

We arrived in Montego Bay yeserday at noon yesterday, it was not cold, about 30C, hot and sunny. Did not do too much, just recovered from the long overnight flight. It will be nice to get onboard and get settled in the SI cabin.

See you on Monday when you move in mext door

Marg and Gary

Hi all!

csnow ~ thanks so much for answering my questions. I thought the native

dance was hokey too but I joined in so I'd appear on the video. I'm never in the locations that are being filmed on cruises & often buy the tapes.:o

Jo, I also joined in, but not by choice-lol! I was sitting on the ground and the one who appeared to be the "head" or "chief" of the one tribe grabbed my hands and pulled me up. He wouldn't listen to "no thank you" and I was up and dancing before I knew it! It was kind of fun though, and they were so nice.

It was posted as a formal night but if I remember correctly it stated that it was only suggested.

Last season the daily bulletin read: "Elegant attire optional" and as reported previously only some passengers dressed in the style that other cruise lines refer to as "Smart Casual". We wore the guayabera shirt which in our opinion met the requirement while full formal wear might be considered uncomfortably out of place.

Last season the daily bulletin read: "Elegant attire optional" and as reported previously only some passengers dressed in the style that other cruise lines refer to as "Smart Casual". We wore the guayabera shirt which in our opinion met the requirement while full formal wear might be considered uncomfortably out of place.

So true! I had on a short black dress and my husband wore a suit and we definitely felt over dressed. The guayabera shirt would have been perfect.

Hi all!

csnow ~ thanks for all the info about the HOHO & the boarding problem.

That makes me feel better about our (read DH's) decision to take a taxi to the port instead of the transfer so we'll hopefully get there before the onslaught (only 48 cabins available on our sailing!). Last time was so nice just walking on with no other people.

Ron ~ you bought a "bowling shirt"?!! Where did you finally find one?

DH will bring the lovely one I got him at the Holguin market.

wu687 ~ have a great cruise! Enjoy your spacious digs!:D

manueljose ~ thanks for the book recommendations. The Cuba Life tour is a great choice for an excursion.

Have a great weekend. 4 weeks from about now we should be landing in Montego Bay if all goes well!

~ Jo~ :)

HI all!

I was looking for the official taxi rate to & from the cruise port to the airport that I know we saw at the port & came across the name of the restaurant at the port. If anybody see the official rate for 2 people could you post it please.

Hanging Around

There's not a whole lot to see or do at the port itself, save for browsing the usual smattering of shops selling touristy items like Tortuga rum cakes and Red Stripe Beer baseball hats, complete with bottle openers in the visors. There is a small, indoor tiki bar of sorts inside the airy but dated terminal building, just in case you can't be bothered to venture farther afield for a tropical drink, but it lacks atmosphere in a big way. The port does serve its purpose as a departure point for catching taxis into town, and there's a Jamaica Tourism Board kiosk inside, too, where you can get tour advice and area info.

Just outside of the official port complex, behind a chainlink fence, is a rather ramshackle shopping area called the Montego Freeport Shopping Center. It's little more than a collection of beachwear and souvenir shops and empty offices. There is one homey-looking restaurant, Swizzle's, which sells inexpensive jerk specialties; the crowds, however, seem to be mostly due to the fact that there's free wireless Internet with your food or beverage purchase. Though you'll find a few restaurants within about 10 minutes' walking distance of the port (including a juice bar and seafood restaurant), you're better off heading into town for the most options and atmosphere.

Ciao

~ Jo ~ :)

...Ron ~ you bought a "bowling shirt"?!! Where did you finally find one?

DH will bring the lovely one I got him at the Holguin market. ~ Jo~ :)

Jo, not being able to find a supplier in Canada either that handled my size, I had to "strike" out into other markets. I finally found a supplier in the US who would ship to Canada and so I also bought a "spare" in another colour. The hype for the official Cuban guayavera outlined on the supplier's web site was just that, for both shirts are clearly marked Made In China, but the asking price was more like sewn by hand ... My size dictates colour and so I avoided white or pale colours and ordered in black and dark brown. Not very Cuban by any means but the night I wore the black one, a waiter wanted to purchase it right off my back. For him something different I guess.

Hi again!

Ron ~ I hope I get to see one of your guayaveras.:D I Googled Cuban dress shirt & came up with a couple of names & a stories. They're also called guayaberas. They are called that as old farmers would use the pockets to carry Guayabas (guavas) OR they originated by the Yayabo River where the pockets were used to stuff enough cigars to last the day in the fields.

DH's guayabera is white, maybe cotton with some tucks & buttons adorning it but no care tag at all so don't know where it was made.

I was looking through the "Daily News" papers from the cruise last year & see there was sometimes 2 for 1 drinks consisting of house & premium alcohol brands, for an hour 3 times a day starting at 10:30 am then around dinner 5:30 ish followed by showtime 7:30 ish.

4 weeks from tonight we'll have sailed away from Montego Bay, yippee!

This may make it easier for you to pack. The dining room was very casual. I think we saw blue jeans on a few people every night. We brought dressier clothes for formal night, but I think fewer than 20% wore formal wear. I actually felt out of place. It was posted as a formal night but if I remember correctly it stated that it was only suggested. I don't really care and if I had known so few would dress up I would gladly have left our "good" clothes at home and had more room in our suitcases!

Thanks for the tips.

I don't wear jeans on cruises, but I will be wearing some capris, a couple sundresses and maybe black dress pants for the formal night with a fancy top.

Cam so far is leaning towards leaving his suits at home for the first time and just going shirt and tie for formal night.

Hi all!

Kerri ~ that sounds pretty much like what we'll be wearing. Gerd wears jeans but I don't, favouring capris or cotton pants. Black pants with a nice top is always good.

Here's a nice picture of the shaven Gerd (with some yummy drinks), in his guayabera at the dress up dinner. Unfortunately he'll probably be bearded this time.:( Oopsie, you might have to twist your neck to see the detail on the shirt.

SDC11876.jpg.0bb95980874b835d59a4200f557695be.jpg

~ Jo ~:)

That is a nice picture of Gerd in his guayabera. Very smart looking.

I told DH that he needs to get one, and after the cruise he can take up bowling.

What are those yellow drinks? I haven't seen anything so yellow since my Snowball days.

Me again!

Here's another review I found but haven't finished reading so I hope it's favourable.;)

http://www.prowsedge.com/cruise-articles-reviews-caribbean-cuba.html

HaHa. Our balcony looks so big in that picture - you can't even see the others. :D

cubacruise2.jpg

We leave home 2 weeks from tomorrow. Those weeks are going to be crazy buzy (including my dental surgery and packing) so will pass in the blink of an ojo.

What is that directly below us? Public area or for crew? Those look like coffins. :eek:

That is the muster station area where they conducted the drills. The "coffins" contain additional life jackets I believe. But the area is part of the promenade and generally used by passengers to view the entry into the various harbours. From the sounds heard below, it is a popular area when arriving at each port.

I have heard that toys are very rare in Cuba and that children will line up (the national Cuban pastime) to play with them. Dolls and balls of any type are especially appreciated. DH has some cuddly teddy bears with the old name of his company (so he can no longer give them out here) so I thought I could take them and a few baseballs and tennis balls.

If I carry a couple of stuffed bears with me every day, I could hand one out anytime I saw a crying baby. :)

I have heard that toys are very rare in Cuba and that children will line up (the national Cuban pastime) to play with them.

Burm I think that is very thoughtful of you in bringing gifts for the kids. We always bring something for the guides and drivers and the like but never think of the kids.

As to the preverbal line ups (the national Cuban pastime) I hope you can appreciate that this is not of their own doing, a situation that has been imposed on them for over 50 years. They have persevered and I take my hat off to them for it.

Hi again!

Ron ~ nice pictures!:D

burm ~ thanks re the nice comment. Gerd's drink was a Pina Colada & mine a virgin margarita but it looks like lemon not lime.

Very good idea about taking the teddies & balls.

Wow 2 weeks from tomorrow is very close!!

As to the preverbal line ups (the national Cuban pastime) I hope you can appreciate that this is not of their own doing, a situation that has been imposed on them for over 50 years. They have persevered and I take my hat off to them for it.

I was reading about line etiquette today. You position yourself in the general area of the back of the line and call out, "El Ultimo?' (Last person). The last person in line will identify themselves. When the next person joins the line they will ask the same and you raise your finger and say "Yo!" Most Cubans will then also ask "Detras de quien?" (Who are you standing behind?). This helps to ensure that even if you were to leave the line and not return,the continuum of the general queue is undisturbed. Just point to the person in front of you.

Once your position is established, you can feel free to leave and return-the person behind will honour your position. :) Apparently this can be risky though, if several witnesses have left and there is no one to validate your claim.