My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

I was directed to an article regarding the current thawing of relations between the U.S. and Cuba. It is entitled

The Tsunami Facing Cuba By Eric Margolis

Those of us repeating last season cruise as well as those joining for the first time may indeed feel fortunate that we have chosen to do so at this time. I can only hope his condemnation and his vision of the future for Cuba is wrong for if not we will but look back and treasure this time we now spend there.

But I did find and enjoyed in his writing a short expressive summation of what appeals to me about Cuba now; "freedom from consumer vulgarity". I like that.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article40807.htm

Edited by ONT-CA

HI all!

Ron ~ very good but sad article! We went to Cuba in '95 thinking it might open up & we wanted to see it before that happened. I think our timing now is perfect.

There was an article somewhere saying how the Cubans are waiting for U.S. internet & how long they have to wait to check their email or Facebook!:confused:

Have a great week as we all get closer to our cruises.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi All,

We just joined this thread and still have not finished reading all of it. Want to say hello from USA. We will join the cruise on Feb 20 in Montego Bay. We are looking forward to meeting you all. We enjoyed all the info and are ready to go.

Do you plan meet and greets? Or just meet at the bar? We are frequent cruisers but this is a new experience for us. After reading a few of the reviews, we embark with open minds and few expectations. Looking forward to seeing Cuba before it opens up to the US hoards.

Macey and Bob

we took our final dose of dukoral today as well. :) won't be long now. One of my personal soapbox issues about visiting Cuba is when tourists go right up to children and give them candy or presents. If you don't approach children at home where you live then maybe it is not OK to do it in Cuba. Also, I've seen people throw pens and other items right through bus windows and watch the children scramble. Very dangerous and candy is not healthy. The churches and orphanages recommend dropping toys and gifts with them so they can distribute them to the most needy families and schools.. Cuba is overflowing with dollar store items that we have all brought to feel good about ourselves. Years ago the streets were not filled with begging people, we all unintentionally created the situation. Anyways I know most people do the right thing and want to help others less fortunate. Hope everyone who is going to Cuba this season has a special time and once again many thanks to everyone's contribution to these pages.

we took our final dose of dukoral today as well. :) won't be long now. One of my personal soapbox issues about visiting Cuba is when tourists go right up to children and give them candy or presents. If you don't approach children at home where you live then maybe it is not OK to do it in Cuba. Also, I've seen people throw pens and other items right through bus windows and watch the children scramble. Very dangerous and candy is not healthy. The churches and orphanages recommend dropping toys and gifts with them so they can distribute them to the most needy families and schools.. Cuba is overflowing with dollar store items that we have all brought to feel good about ourselves. Years ago the streets were not filled with begging people, we all unintentionally created the situation. Anyways I know most people do the right thing and want to help others less fortunate. Hope everyone who is going to Cuba this season has a special time and once again many thanks to everyone's contribution to these pages.

A very enlightening and sensible approach to giving. We must admit we have done so due to our guilt for we have so much and they so little. The one thing we make sure we do is to leave ship staff a handsome gratuity over and above the pittance the ship takes from us per day. Not only do these people deserve it, they then contribute to the general economy in its use. I think a good rule of thumb and one we use is 5% of passage fare. If you are aboard for $800 then what is another $40. to spread around. You will feel better for it and the recipients will be elated at your generosity.

I hear what you are saying-especially about candy. I would want my children to go to school, rather than wait for tourists by the side of the road, to toss them coins. Are orphanages common in Cuba? If so, I like that idea. I promise you I will put some thought into this. I do not want to hand them over to a government agency where they are unlikely to go directly to the kids who would most benefit from them.

I took my Dukoral today, so I feel that our time is near!!!!

We have our doses but are a bit apprehensive about side effects. We will take them shortly because anything must be better than our conditions when we arrived home after our last stay at the Comodoro. Live and learn and so we thank everyone for the information on Dukoral for we had never heard of it before now.

I hear what you are saying-especially about candy. I would want my children to go to school, rather than wait for tourists by the side of the road, to toss them coins. Are orphanages common in Cuba? If so, I like that idea. I promise you I will put some thought into this. I do not want to hand them over to a government agency where they are unlikely to go directly to the kids who would most benefit from them.

Cuba Junky has this site on the subject;

http://www.cuba-junky.com/cuba/help.htm

We have our doses but are a bit apprehensive about side effects. We will take them shortly because anything must be better than our conditions when we arrived home after our last stay at the Comodoro. Live and learn and so we thank everyone for the information on Dukoral for we had never heard of it before now.

I don't know of anyone who has had any side effects. Everyone on both sides of our family takes it. If anyone is going to be affected, it would normally be me.:(

I was pleased to see that our insurance still covers most of the cost, even though it is now supposedly available over the counter (at least in the fridge behind the counter). After the first time, you only have to take it once. Every year before our vacation, the doctor will give us a two pack to split.

Good luck. I expect you will be just fine with it.

Hi all!

Ron ~ nice pictures.:D I can hardly wait to see the sights again & get out of the cold!

Today while checking our 2 cruises I see mine only has 39 cabins available vs the one before mine 77! Yikes there's going to be a lot of people getting on at Mo Bay I think that means.:eek:

Here's a picture from the Cathedral Square in case you're interested in mailing a postcard from Cuba. This place (on the right when facing the Cathedral) also sells postcards with stamps affixed. I sat on the steps & tipsily wrote a couple after having the Mojito at the Bodega.

Take a marker if you want to write your name on the wall there.

SDC11531.jpg.806284a451c7d86b8f543cb5fbe4d568.jpg

Kerri ~ I'm up for meeting whoever is on the ship when I am. I'm thinking the day at Punta Frances would be best. Last year at 3:00 pm after the bbq there was a disembarking meeting for those getting off in Havana.

We're in port 10 to 2. I guess the best day for those of you getting on in Havana would be the sea day. Anybody interested in meeting up?

Have a nice evening & fingers crossed that storm doesn't make it's way up here.

Good morning!

I have a question about cruise luggage tags. I didn't see a place to print any out on my edocs & can't remember from last year where we got them or even if we did. Anybody know please?

Have a nice day.

I only printed a boarding pass for this cruise.

Just looked at a calender and saw that Chinese New Year is Thursday, February 19th this year while I'm cruising.

Have to wear my red top that night.

Edited by KandCsailing

Good morning!

I have a question about cruise luggage tags. I didn't see a place to print any out on my edocs & can't remember from last year where we got them or even if we did. Anybody know please? Have a nice day. ~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, as I remember it, when we arrived at the port with our luggage and then registered, someone placed tags on our cases then and marked the cabin number on the tag. That was the last we saw of them until opening our cabin door a half hour later. The benefit of arriving singularly and not on a group transport is that they whisk you right through in minutes. (unless of course you arrive minutes after the group transport:eek::mad::D )

...We're in port 10 to 2. I guess the best day for those of you getting on in Havana would be the sea day. Anybody interested in meeting up?

Have a nice evening & fingers crossed that storm doesn't make it's way up here. ~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, the Punta Francis beach day has been extended by a few hours from what I understand, plus those disembarking the next morning at Havana have packing and accounts on their minds. The day at sea seems better as both groups still have the better part of the trip ahead of them. On the other hand we plan on meeting burm when assisting the housekeeping staff in prying her fingers from the sides of the hot tub as we prepare to move in ...

On the other hand we plan on meeting burm when assisting the housekeeping staff in prying her fingers from the sides of the hot tub as we prepare to move in ...

LOL. Come prepared. I can't cling if I am holding a pina colada.

I was checking the status of the US dollar in relation to that of the Canadian. At a discount of 25%, the spread is not as far as at one time but fast approaching. In simple terms, a person now booking our cabin for a week and paying in US dollars would save $450. Not bad. And with the US allowing American citizens to visit Cuba, we are bound to be meeting more and more of them aboard.

Book pre flight hotel with parking and transfer Done

Pack for trip To do

Take passports plane tickets To do

Book Jamaica transfer to ship Done

Print cruise documentation and tickets Done

Buy Cuban health insurance Done

Convert US dollars to Canadian for CUC exchange To do

Investigate ports:

Cienfuegos Done

Isle of Youth To do

Havana Done

Holguin To do

Santiago To do

Book transfer to Montego Bay hotel Done

Book transfer to airport Done

How am doing ?? Miss anything ??

Hey p598738, looks like we're in the same boat, literally & figuratively! I am booking excursions today, and scurrying to complete all the same things as you, except the $$. Also we are flying in & out same day as ship docking so no extra booking there (NOT my choice, all we can get last minute, and it's a package deal, so it's up to Transat make sure it works...yikes)

For those who've done this trip....I'm thinking we will do Cuba Life and Panoramic Santiago, are there any others that are "must do"? I've gotten through reading most of this very long thread, but may have blurred over a bit :D so any pointers are appreciated!

Just reading the preparations underway for the cruise makes me want to take a big breath. We've been around the island two and a half times and two more are coming up in February. I realize that for many it may be a once in a lifetime adventure but the opportunity to repeat the cruise should remain for many years to come. If you look at the prices the major lines are charging for "sunshine" this is the best deal around. Especially for Canadians who want to or in my case must travel south in the winter, the decline in the Canadian dollar makes this cruise even more of a winner. We have barely covered the tours available, our primary interests being to see the people and their environment. We'll get to the rest in time. And don't forget this is a cruise. There is lots to look forward to on the ship itself. Yes, be prepared but remember, if at first you don't succeed....

Note: Because the Cuban CUC is based on the value of the U.S. dollar, you will receive less CUC's per Canadian dollar than previously, up to 25% less, so take that into consideration when thinking finance for Cuba.