My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

The Port is in the heart of Old Havana. You are able to walk about and get a sense of the place being your first time.

There are cabs at the dock, cabs almost everywhere.

There is a money changer (Cadeca) right at the port Terminal as well as at the airport where you arrive.

Thanks so much. Sounds like we can explore to our heart's content!

Avril

Thanks so much for the info. So glad I don't have to take an adapter!

Can you tell me-are there hair dryers in the cabins?

Avril

I shouldn't speak for cabins other than my own but ours had a built in hairdryer in the washroom (non portable). We also had a portable one at the desk/vanity.

There was not a 110 Volt outlet in the washroom only the 220 Volt. So an adapter would be necessary in the case of an electric razor for example, failing which it being used elsewhere in the cabin at 110 Volt outlets.

No problems entering Cuba with computers and support equipment.

Rooms have both 220 Volt and 110 Volt (Canadian) receptacles.

I always take a 4 plug power bar to plug into the 110V receptacles. The 220 plugs are deep set 2 pin plugs.

Our cabin (6000) had 2 hair dryers.

Temperature readings were taken everytime that you departed the ship in Cuba.

Hopon- hopoff double deck bus tour is available from the main square in Havana is for 5CUC.

Is this the "Main Square' that you refer to?

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/OldHavana.jpg

No.

The square for bus is Central Square, across the street from Hotel Inglateara, and up street from large domed capital building. Follow Obrapia Street from ship to square.

See https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zaw31SPqxq5E.kIBcRPuWq7Xs&msa=0

Routes 1 and 2 bus trips have been combined, I left all my maps and notes on the ship.

No.

The square for bus is Central Square, across the street from Hotel Inglateara, and up street from large domed capital building. Follow Obrapia Street from ship to square.

Routes 1 and 2 bus trips have been combined, I left all my maps and notes on the ship.

Thanks for that location. But can't one catch the HOHO bus right near the docks? Do you know the actual location of that stop?

No.

For more bus info see: http://www.cuba-junky.com/havana/havana_bus_tour.html

The most frustrating thing about the listing of stops by name. i.e. hotel, is that they may as well give me the name of the janitor for I have no idea as to where these hotels are located. But if someone, anyone who got on the HOHO near the docks could tell us just where that stop is located, that would be marvellous.

There is (or was) a HOHO stop quite close to the cruise terminal. Even got a free rum at a nearby bar with my bus ticket. Sorry but can't remember the name of the location.

Seems a long time since I started this thread. Hope to be back next year.

The nearest stop is at Central Square on the right of the big dome, just up from the ship.

The nearest stop is at Central Square on the right of the big dome, just up from the ship.

We were able to catch the HOHO bus right outside the cruise terminal in january. They were pulling up as we were exiting.

So you can purchase a ticket for the day right on the bus?

We bought ours on the bus when we boarded. Unfortunately, we were late boarding because it was the day we arrived in Havana so were only able to do the circuit once and were unable to "hop on and hop off" before they were finished for the night. Really enjoyed it though.

I wondered when so many guides suggested using your credit card for cash instead of debit cards, which do not always work in Cuba. I was thinking of the huge fees involved with cash advances.

Today I read in Lonely Planet that you should pre-load your credit card. I assume that means that you would not have to pay the exorbitant cash advance fees? If so, that does seem like the way to go.

I understand that I can purchase either CUC's or Moneda Nacional with a credit card at a Cadeca? I prefer that to carrying enough cash for all our expenses.

I went to the bank today to pre-pay my credit card, but the manager told me that there was absolutely no advantage in doing this - charges would be exactly the same.

My Lonely Planet Cuba arrives tomorrow. :)

One week from today I should be tucked into bed for my first night in Havana.

I went to the bank today to pre-pay my credit card, but the manager told me that there was absolutely no advantage in doing this - charges would be exactly the same.

My Lonely Planet Cuba arrives tomorrow. :)

One week from today I should be tucked into bed for my first night in Havana.

The way my credit card works is that if I draw cash abroad there is a fee but also the interest starts from the day I draw the cash, not from the statement date like if I purchase an item or service with it.

So when I preload my card with cash at home before my trip although the fees still apply there is no negative balance to start accruing interest at whatever your rate may be.

As difficult as it seems, and it is, I came across this site for the routes of the HOHO bus in Havana. When you open the site there will be a map that you can manipulate zooming in and out to get a better idea of stops. They are colour coded although it is suggested that lines T1 and T2 may now be combined into one. Flags are used to locate the connecting points of two lines. There is a stop very near the Cruise port but by zooming in you will see the actual location. Problem is I can't print this map so the rest is up to you.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z2Q-HEU1uk7Y.kE3zxdA1kLr8&msa=0&ll=23.133414,-82.22168&spn=0.269622,0.352936

Screenshots from my tablet of the Google map on ONT-CA's link for the HOHO bus. I have no clue where Central Square is though.

Screenshot_2015-02-02-17-22-5911_zps923972d7.png

Screenshot_2015-02-02-17-24-131_zps7e07633f.png

Edited by KandCsailing

The way my credit card works is that if I draw cash abroad there is a fee but also the interest starts from the day I draw the cash, not from the statement date like if I purchase an item or service with it.

So when I preload my card with cash at home before my trip although the fees still apply there is no negative balance to start accruing interest at whatever your rate may be.

You are correct and my bank manager was wrong. My credit card company told me that a $1000 cash advance would cost me $16.03 for 30 days, on top of a $4.75 transaction fee.

That is always the way it has been, you would think the bank manager would know that. :rolleyes: Funny, because I was just reading in a travel book yesterday that when in Cuba, you should always get 5 opinions on anything that matters. :p

Hi all!

Griller ~ that's the way we understood it too so we deposited some money & have never taken an advance again.:o

burm ~ I'm debating going to Town & will check the book store for the Lonely Planet Cuba guide as I have to take this one back to the library. I think it's worth having for it's map & walking tours etc.

I was just thinking less than 2 weeks until you & Kerri are at sea exploring Louis Cristal OR maybe just chilling on your huge balcony;) but

wow in just a week you'll already be in Havana, neat!!

Ciao

~ Jo ~ :)

...One week from today I should be tucked into bed for my first night in Havana.

To be forewarned is to be... The walk-in closet beside the right hand side of the bed (facing the headboard) is equipped with sliding doors. There is a special electrical switch located mid point where the doors meet. When the doors are close the light is off. But if the door frame does not engage the switch completely, ship movement will active the light (perhaps in the wee hours of the morning...):rolleyes: Plus the doors have full length mirrors inserted in them and my reflection when getting out of the bed in the middle of the night made for a bit of a :eek: The infamous safe is located in this closet along with your life jackets. Happy sailing.

Hi all!

Griller ~ that's the way we understood it too so we deposited some money & have never taken an advance again.:o

burm ~ I'm debating going to Town & will check the book store for the Lonely Planet Cuba guide as I have to take this one back to the library. I think it's worth having for it's map & walking tours etc.

I was just thinking less than 2 weeks until you & Kerri are at sea exploring Louis Cristal OR maybe just chilling on your huge balcony;) but

wow in just a week you'll already be in Havana, neat!!

Ciao

~ Jo ~ :)

The Chapters priced of the LP Cuba Edition 7 is $31.95. If you order from Indigo online, the price is $21 plus $8 for overnight delivery. As the store is all the way across the city, this was a no brainer for me. Before I planned and geared up for a cross town expedition, the book will be here.

The online version is about $22, but I think it is better to have hard copies of maps in case charging is a problem. There are also times when it is not wise to pull out an ipad.

The Chapters priced of the LP Cuba Edition 7 is $31.95. If you order from Indigo online, the price is $21 plus $8 for overnight delivery. As the store is all the way across the city, this was a no brainer for me. Before I planned and geared up for a cross town expedition, the book will be here.

The online version is about $22, but I think it is better to have hard copies of maps in case charging is a problem. There are also times when it is not wise to pull out an ipad.

Amazon.ca - $20.05 (free delivery if over $25. so adding a planned addition) Delivery this week.

We just travel with the Canadian cash, deposit it in the room safe and convert as and when needed. If security is the issue what difference does it make if one was to be an unlikely victim of a robbery of say $500 Canadian or its equivalent in CUC's. Currency is currency.

Amazon.ca - $20.05 (free delivery if over $25. so adding a planned addition) Delivery this week.

I was having trouble with the website, so phoned Indigo. They said that if I got the free delivery, it SHOULD make it here by Friday. I figured it was worth paying $8 for delivery to know that I would receive it before we leave.

We just travel with the Canadian cash, deposit it in the room safe and convert as and when needed. If security is the issue what difference does it make if one was to be an unlikely victim of a robbery of say $500 Canadian or its equivalent in CUC's. Currency is currency.

Very true.

Because of the extra time we are spending in Cuba, both before and after the cruise, we would not want to carry around enough of any currency to pay for everything. Both Casas Particulares and private excursions will have to be paid for in cash. I prepaid my credit card this morning with enough to pay for our anticipated needs without paying a 19% daily interest fee on the cash advance.

Travelling to Cuba is certainly a unique situation. Normally we would hit a cash machine approx. once a week.

My wife and I are boarding in Mobay Friday Feb 6. Ergo we will be on the ship with anyone boarding in Havana before or after that. Perhaps we can get together and share some info and/or experiences. We'll be in cabin #7021.

Bon voyage to everyone.