My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Check this weeks the Waterloo Region Record on line news paper travel section .

Large artical in travel section

Bringing up the March 23rd edition of The Record, travel section, shows various stories but none pertaining to Cuba. Was it about Cuba? If so could you please copy and paste the address of the article in question or give us the full name of the article. Many thanks.

...I see next year is ready to be booked starting April 1 at a 20% discount. Would you book so far in advance or wait for other info? ... ~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, putting aside the good news that the Cristal will be back next season, without it we would just have to find a cruise to somewhere warm come next winter. Checking out pricing, the indications are that deep water cruising is having a bit of a comeback after the 2008 "crash" and prices are being shown with almost no discounts and are expressed in US dollars. With the stumble of the Canadian dollar it looks like we will even have to live with an additional 15% surcharge, perhaps even more. BUT...with Cuba Cruise offering an early booking discount of 20% and by adding the additional 15% we will NOT have to pay in exchange, we are looking at a comparative reduction of 35%. No question in our mind but to book our Cuba Cruise early.

Sadly we won't be back on Louis Cristal next year as we should be in South America, but can I suggest that someone who will be enjoying this cruise for a second time keeps this thread going or perhaps resurrects it? I suggest this not because I was the OP but simply because it contains so much great information. Why start learning again?

Hi all!

Balloon Man~ I had the same idea. I'll be checking in once in a while.

DH just mentionned again today he wants to do it next year. He really liked the ship.

Ron ~ I hope to meet you next year & get to see your fancy digs. We went in Jan. because of our passport date but now have new 10 year ones so will most likely book for mid February which is when we usually go.

I just completed my photo book so relived the cruise. Still trying to get rid of the pounds I put on, before my next cruise.;)

Snow is a four letter word & I'm getting tired of using it.

~ Jo ~ :)

We are pretty well committed to this cruise for Feb 2015, I understand sales open April 1st, but find the web info scant.

My understanding is that the cruise prices are good, but air is killer.

Am I correct?

If anyone is willing to disclose what they paid and what they got in terms of cabin, I would be grateful. There is 20% off to start, but I will be interested to see if prices are higher for 2015....Any advice would be appreciated.

We are pretty well committed to this cruise for Feb 2015, I understand sales open April 1st, but find the web info scant.

My understanding is that the cruise prices are good, but air is killer.

Am I correct?

If anyone is willing to disclose what they paid and what they got in terms of cabin, I would be grateful. There is 20% off to start, but I will be interested to see if prices are higher for 2015....Any advice would be appreciated.

The web is only part up to date. Cruise dates for next season and prices are up to date. Note that they have M, L and high periods. Low is January. The office said that cost for SI for two in L period (Jan) including 20% discount and tax for two would be $2842 CND. Cost for air to Montego Bay is less than to Havana even from Ottawa. Do a cost check on ticketpilot.ca

We plan on departing from Montego Bay on 23 Jan 15.

The web is only part up to date. Cruise dates for next season and prices are up to date. Note that they have M, L and high periods. Low is January. The office said that cost for SI for two in L period (Jan) including 20% discount and tax for two would be $2842 CND. Cost for air to Montego Bay is less than to Havana even from Ottawa. Do a cost check on ticketpilot.ca

We plan on departing from Montego Bay on 23 Jan 15.

We think the High, Medium and Low designates to be a good idea with the reflected prices. Originally we were somewhat taken back at a 50% price increase in our repeat booking request but the 20% discount softens that plus we feel the value to be there. Because we returned home from Cuba to yet more of this brutal winter, we will delay our dates by a couple of weeks in 2015 in the hopes of not re entering this state of total depression that awaited us and continues to this day.

So ONT....Does that mean you are booking for April 2015...:D

What kind of cabin did you have? The web for the 2nd level of suite does not include photos of the balcony. What is "small"? The top suite seems a bit over the top!

We really like a balcony, but do we need a suite?

I'm spoiled by all the pix we get on other cruise lines.

Also, I assume if we book in April, getting the 20%, they will not adjust if there are price drops?

Edited by Liz54

So ONT....Does that mean you are booking for April 2015...:D

What kind of cabin did you have? The web for the 2nd level of suite does not include photos of the balcony. What is "small"? The top suite seems a bit over the top!

We really like a balcony, but do we need a suite?

I'm spoiled by all the pix we get on other cruise lines.

Also, I assume if we book in April, getting the 20%, they will not adjust if there are price drops?

If we thought there was to be another winter like this one we would book for June 1st...:D We are looking at the last week in Feb., first in March.

Liz54 - The balcony you are looking for is briefly displayed in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEu2h5sEQfY

The balcony is seen at three minutes and twenty-seven seconds into the video by the counter at the bottom left of the screen. If you have seen the video before just move the play dot over until you approach 3:27 Be prepared to see a rather small space. But they say it's comfortable for two people however that cocktail party you had planned on for 20 people will have to be held indoors...:D We will go the SI route again if we get our dates. We just love the space for the suites we previously have had on other lines pale by comparison. I'm sure they wished they had a dozen of them to offer, for they will go quickly. And I cannot foresee a rebate being offered for any future price decrease but then I don't foresee that happening either.

PS Last cruise for the 2015 season is March 23rd from Havana.

Edited by ONT-CA

If we thought there was to be another winter like this one we would book for June 1st...:D We are looking at the last week in Feb., first in March.

Liz54 - The balcony you are looking for is briefly displayed in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEu2h5sEQfY

The balcony is seen at three minutes and twenty-seven seconds into the video by the counter at the bottom left of the screen. If you have seen the video before just move the play dot over until you approach 3:27 Be prepared to see a rather small space. But they say it's comfortable for two people however that cocktail party you had planned on for 20 people will have to be held indoors...:D We will go the SI route again if we get our dates. We just love the space for the suites we previously have had on other lines pale by comparison. I'm sure they wished they had a dozen of them to offer, for they will go quickly. And I cannot foresee a rebate being offered for any future price decrease but then I don't foresee that happening either.

PS Last cruise for the 2015 season is March 23rd from Havana.

As for booking of the suites, they did establish a waitlist for those wanting a balcony suite. No idea how it works or what dates might be available. Call CubaCruise at 1 855 364 4999, open 9am - 5pm Eastern Time.

Hope for SI!!

My wife and I enjoyed the 2nd level suite. Small balcony but big enough for two chairs. The cabin was a good size. But this cruise to us was about the places we would visit; the ship was just a place to get to them. This is a cruise not to be missed.

She is underway

Flag: Malta

Ship Type: Passenger

Speed/Course: 1.4 kn / 2˚

Length x Breadth: 162 m X 24 m

Draught: 6 m

Destination: LAS PALMAS

ETA: 2013-11-30 15:30 (UTC)

Received (805): 0h 1min ago

I had to go back and pull up this posting pertaining to the Louis Cristal leaving Greece on her voyage to the Caribbean. I can't remember when we were so excited about a new cruise being offered to anywhere. She will now be heading home but I have a feeling I will be at the computer come next November watching her progess in her return to Cuba. Don't ask me why... I'm just hooked.

HI all!

Martha ~ I don't mind saying what we paid. It was $785 + $160 taxes/fees

= $945 p/p for XE 6212. It was an oceanview cabin as pictured on their website. We really liked the cabin & it's proximity to the stairs/elevator.

We flew from Toronto, Air Canada Rouge to Montego Bay @$626.53 p/p.the day before the cruise.

I think we could have done better but I don't like to wait too long having once been unable to go away last minute because the flights were sold out.

ONT-CA ~ I'm going to see if I can track the ship back across the ocean. Oh too bad you'll be going later as I think we'd aim for mid Feb, usually around Valentine's Day.

Looking forward to continued chatting here.

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks for all the helpful info. We are so excited. I cruise often on the big ships and reading this thread has prepared me well for the differences. My husband rarely comes with on the Princess cruises, but is VERY excited to explore Cuba and have a few days in Havana before or after. This is the perfect holiday on which we can both agree. Now our 3 twenty-something boys are thinking they might come too, so we might have to think about the Suite with huge balcony. They can be in an interior and come visit....Lots to consider!

Thanks for all the helpful info. We are so excited. I cruise often on the big ships and reading this thread has prepared me well for the differences. My husband rarely comes with on the Princess cruises, but is VERY excited to explore Cuba and have a few days in Havana before or after. This is the perfect holiday on which we can both agree. Now our 3 twenty-something boys are thinking they might come too, so we might have to think about the Suite with huge balcony. They can be in an interior and come visit....Lots to consider!

The suite is ideal for your plans. The living room seats six, seven if you bring the desk chair into play. The sofa converts to a double hide-a-bed the quality of which is unknown. The deck (I have trouble referring to it as a balcony) has four teak lounge chairs and four folding chairs at the round table. The hot tub is suitable for a romantic two but only one of me... At night you have to rely on moonlight as the outdoor lights are not permitted due to reflection of light into the bridge above. By day there always seemed to be both sunshine and shade space available. Only 10% of the space is in view of the Bridge but a neighbour's head placed around the corner of the devider seeking to borrow a cup of sugar reveals all...

The suite is ideal for your plans. The living room seats six, seven if you bring the desk chair into play. The sofa converts to a double hide-a-bed the quality of which is unknown. The deck (I have trouble referring to it as a balcony) has four teak lounge chairs and four folding chairs at the round table. The hot tub is suitable for a romantic two but only one of me... At night you have to rely on moonlight as the outdoor lights are not permitted due to reflection of light into the bridge above. By day there always seemed to be both sunshine and shade space available. Only 10% of the space is in view of the Bridge but a neighbour's head placed around the corner of the devider seeking to borrow a cup of sugar reveals all...

I was all ready at 9.00. So excited. Their computer systems, however, were not. The technology is letting them down today. Cannot book on line. Cannot book over the phone. Was told to send an email. Very nervous about getting the suite I want, but more excited about booking!

Edited by Liz54

I was all ready at 9.00. So excited. Their computer systems, however, were not. The technology is letting them down today. Cannot book on line. Cannot book over the phone. Was told to send an email. Very nervous about getting the suite I want, but more excited about booking!

Sorry to hear of the tech. delay. That may not bode well for your booking but if you can get through nor can others. We did use e-mail and have an acknowledgement but not a confirmation as yet. I know only too well that nervous feeling

Edited by ONT-CA

Sorry to hear of the tech. delay. That may not bode well for your booking but if you can get through nor can others. We did use e-mail and have an acknowledgement but not a confirmation as yet. I know only too well that nervous feeling

Had problems, did get email back and now have confirmed SI. They arei in demand.

Me too! Beyond Excited!! Got SI as well! Who is going Jan 26? Ideas for where to stay in Havana, and how long? Three Days?

We are going on Jan 23 out of Montego Bay, in SI 6000. Sorry no ideas about hotels in Havana Going down a couple of days early in case of bad weather.My luck air this morning flight from Victoria was $705 this morning, now $750.

Congrats Liz54 and wu687 on your sweet suites. We now have ours confirmed for dates as requested. Sorry Jo that we won't be aboard on the same sailing. We were looking forward to meeting you. As I said previously, I bet Cuba Cruises wish they had a dozen of those suites on that ship in stead of just the two. I know it's a long way off but in time they will probably have to find a larger ship to charter.

We are going on Jan 23 out of Montego Bay, in SI 6000. Sorry no ideas about hotels in Havana Going down a couple of days early in case of bad weather.My luck air this morning flight from Victoria was $705 this morning, now $750.

Read here that there are great deals out of Seattle. Isn't that but a Ferry service for you? They spoke of Seattle to Montego Bay at a great saving. On the other hand I only wish we could have had your fare for the last cruise we flew Air Canada from Toronto to Havana and paid about $1,200. Being booked early this year will allow us to find a better rate.

I was able to book an SB by phone today after trying their website. Now I just have to find air that wont be too pricey.

In the event someone hits upon a good deal that they would like to share with us, best they know who is going, what week and from which embarkation point, Havana or Montego Bay