Xpedition Galapagos problem

drfun48

The following is Celebrity response to a problem with today's departure.

It appears to be a slap on the wrist to Celebrity, but a smack down to the passengers. Very bizarre. I hope Celebrity steps up and compensates adequately.

"Celebrity takes responsibility for your vacation with us in Ecuador. As you have just been informed we expect there will be a 2 day delay in boarding the ship in the Galapagos. This delay is the result of a sanction placed on the ship by the Galapagos national park as of today.

Celebrity cruises takes the environmental regulations throughout the world very seriously. It is our corporate policy to follow all rules and regulations set forth by the GNP. We have operated in the GNP for nine years under strict adherence to all rules and regulations without incident.

On March 11, 2013, during an inspection by the GNP, 12 kilograms of frozen lobster tails were found aboard Celebrity Xpedition. These lobster tails were purchased legally from licensed fishermen and were certified by the GNP. As per a new Park regulation, all lobsters needed to be consumed by Jan 5, 2013. This new regulation was not clearly communicated and actually formally published on April 22, 2013, almost 5 weeks after the discovery of the lobsters aboard. Celebrity fully cooperated with the inspection and parks investigation. The park verified our documentation and determined that the small amount of remaining lobsters in our stores were purchased and loaded within the season.

The Galapagos National Park has sanctioned celebrity Xpedition under a law for transporting and storage of frozen lobster tails in the Galapagos while out of season. Celebrity will appeal the $2000 fine and suspension thought he proper government channels available. While the law allows for a 15 day appeal period before sanctions are imposed, the park initiated them one day after the ruling. We will appeal this unreasonable act on Monday after noon, so we can resume the cruise on Tuesday.

During this delay you can count on us to be with you at all times. We are currently scheduling tours for Sunday and Monday and expect to fly you to the ship Tuesday morning for the remaining 5 day cruise."

What a bummer!! These trips are once in a lifetime occurrences. If what they say is accurate,it appears that the GNP acted in a knee jerk manner. I certainly hope Celebrity does the right thing, although I can't even imagine what the compensation should be. So sorry this happened to all on this sailing.

Wow -- the Xpedition Galapagos cruises are very pricey (yes, I know that they are virtually all-inclusive) -- and, many people plan them years in advance. I can't imagine "losing" two days of such a unique week-long cruise! :eek: Hope that X makes it up to the passengers affected by this delay.

For many this is a once in a lifetime trip and it is devastating to have it cut short. Even to rebook is a major problem in light of how hard it is to get a reservation. The logistics of getting time off together with family and or friends,going at the time you want,and ship's availability at that time make it a nightmare. Not to mention ant delay puts off in time an experience that most can't have happen soon enough.

This has me upset because I feel for those there now and wonder what bizarre event could cause future delays or cancellations...non local lettuce ?

Terrible news. I'm surprised that there isn't a better relationship between Celebrity and the GNP folks. Likely there is some other disagreement going on that we don't know about...or perhaps someone wasn't given an appropriate golden handshake. We'll never know....but I do feel terrible for those on this departure. Not sure how Celebrity could compensate you appropriately....and unfortunately, although we see only one side of the situation, it appears that GNP was implementing a legal process....one that can be appealed, but that doesn't help those who are missing time in the galapagos.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. This is a once in a lifetime trip!! Hope you receive a proper compensation.

What "proper compensation" would you expect? Travel insurance might apply, but one would have to read the fine print to see.

What "proper compensation" would you expect? Travel insurance might apply, but one would have to read the fine print to see.

No idea!! The OP starts the thread hoping that Celebrity steps up and compensates adequately. I hope they do. I agree with you about travel insurance. Galapagos is on my bucket list, I know I'll be disappointed if something like this happens on my sailing.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. This is a once in a lifetime trip!! Hope you receive a proper compensation.

Fortunately,it did not happen to me. I just follow the Xpedition roll calls closely since I've had the good fortune to take this once in a lifetime trip three times ,with a fourth trip coming in August.

I've cruised frequently and this is by far my favorite experience. That's why I feel so bad for those whose "once and only " experience might be shortened.

Compensation ? It would depend upon who truly was at fault. I guess that's why we have lawyers.It would be their job to sort it out through some sort of arbitration.

Still the immediate impact on those who were about to embark on this wonderful trip cannot be measured easily.

The following is Celebrity response to a problem with today's departure.

It appears to be a slap on the wrist to Celebrity, but a smack down to the passengers. Very bizarre. I hope Celebrity steps up and compensates adequately.

"Celebrity takes responsibility for your vacation with us in Ecuador. As you have just been informed we expect there will be a 2 day delay in boarding the ship in the Galapagos. This delay is the result of a sanction placed on the ship by the Galapagos national park as of today.

Celebrity cruises takes the environmental regulations throughout the world very seriously. It is our corporate policy to follow all rules and regulations set forth by the GNP. We have operated in the GNP for nine years under strict adherence to all rules and regulations without incident.

On March 11, 2013, during an inspection by the GNP, 12 kilograms of frozen lobster tails were found aboard Celebrity Xpedition. These lobster tails were purchased legally from licensed fishermen and were certified by the GNP. As per a new Park regulation, all lobsters needed to be consumed by Jan 5, 2013. This new regulation was not clearly communicated and actually formally published on April 22, 2013, almost 5 weeks after the discovery of the lobsters aboard. Celebrity fully cooperated with the inspection and parks investigation. The park verified our documentation and determined that the small amount of remaining lobsters in our stores were purchased and loaded within the season.

The Galapagos National Park has sanctioned celebrity Xpedition under a law for transporting and storage of frozen lobster tails in the Galapagos while out of season. Celebrity will appeal the $2000 fine and suspension thought he proper government channels available. While the law allows for a 15 day appeal period before sanctions are imposed, the park initiated them one day after the ruling. We will appeal this unreasonable act on Monday after noon, so we can resume the cruise on Tuesday.

During this delay you can count on us to be with you at all times. We are currently scheduling tours for Sunday and Monday and expect to fly you to the ship Tuesday morning for the remaining 5 day cruise."

We leave in 5 weeks for our second Galapagos trip. This really stinks, and I do not know how 2 days could be made up. Someone dropped the ball, and this is a nice public statement, but maybe not the whole story. Additionally 2 days in Quito is plenty, but four? It will be interesting to see how this develops.

We leave in 5 weeks for our second Galapagos trip. This really stinks, and I do not know how 2 days could be made up. Someone dropped the ball, and this is a nice public statement, but maybe not the whole story. Additionally 2 days in Quito is plenty, but four? It will be interesting to see how this develops.

First let me say that i am not here to trash Celebrity, they are my favorite line, but if they did do something in violation of the law,what is a $ 2,000 fine ,compared to what the passengers had to experience ?

A total replacement cruise for the 90 or so passengers would not put a big dent in their wallets.

Compensation ? It would depend upon who truly was at fault. I guess that's why we have lawyers.It would be their job to sort it out through some sort of arbitration.

I don't think the question is who legally pays for what......but this is an interesting situation because everyone always throws out the "adequate compensation" phrase. That's something that Celebrity is likely thinking about as well and they will have something to say on that topic. But we are an active group of cruisers here, so I was wondering what you, the folks on CC, would consider "adequate compensation".....

I'm not sure I know what I would feel was fair in this case.....it's a tough one.

I don't think the question is who legally pays for what......but this is an interesting situation because everyone always throws out the "adequate compensation" phrase. That's something that Celebrity is likely thinking about as well and they will have something to say on that topic. But we are an active group of cruisers here, so I was wondering what you, the folks on CC, would consider "adequate compensation".....

I'm not sure I know what I would feel was fair in this case.....it's a tough one.

Really interesting, why don't you start the discussion telling us what you would consider an "adequate compensation"? ;) A total replacement cruise, like Drfun48 suggested?

Really interesting, why don't you start the discussion telling us what you would consider an "adequate compensation"? ;) A total replacement cruise, like Drfun48 suggested?

No....I don't know what's reasonable. I'm sure some would expect a full replacement cruise including flights and hotels; others would think that 2/7th of the fare might be fair. I am sure there will be violent verbal battles here about whatever Celebrity comes up with.

My guess is that they will refund part of the fare plus some additional $'s in a credit towards a future celebrity cruise.

First of all

1. Many people work and are taking vacation

2. Airline tickets

3. Total cruise package

4 inconvenience to say the least

They should give them a free Galapagos trip, the whole deal, including the air, and all incidentals, plus give them a full refund for every penny spent.

I fell horrible for these passengers, but Celebrity..not a bit, and they have better double compensate these people. Just the trip is not the whole picture, as we know all that is evolved in going away, care for pets, have your house watched, etc, etc.

No....I don't know what's reasonable. I'm sure some would expect a full replacement cruise including flights and hotels; others would think that 2/7th of the fare might be fair. I am sure there will be violent verbal battles here about whatever Celebrity comes up with.

My guess is that they will refund part of the fare plus some additional $'s in a credit towards a future celebrity cruise.

I agree with you; what is reasonable for me, might be unreasonable for you!! I guess that the lawyers and insurance companies will decide what is "reasonable" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, if they do that, that is really cheap...you don't give partial refunds for something like a Galapagos cruise. Sounds like carnival.

Well, if they do that, that is really cheap...you don't give partial refunds for something like a Galapagos cruise. Sounds like carnival.

In the past, for ship breakdowns, they have given full refunds for the cruise plus a voucher for some $'s towards a future cruise....but those cruses ended early. In this case, the passengers will still get 5 vs 7 nights on board so does a full refund plus another free trip make sense....I don't think so, but that's just one opinion.

In the past, for ship breakdowns, they have given full refunds for the cruise plus a voucher for some $'s towards a future cruise....but those cruses ended early. In this case, the passengers will still get 5 vs 7 nights on board so does a full refund plus another free trip make sense....I don't think so, but that's just one opinion.

People are just too afraid to stand up for their rights.

People are just too afraid to stand up for their rights.

I don't see why anyone would be afraid to stand up for their rights in this case, but the question is what are their rights? I have travelled on Xpedition and know what a wonderful experience it is. However the passengers are getting five out of seven days on the ship, and are being accommodated and entertained with trips on the other two days. Compensation is definitely in order, but to expect a full refund of cruise and air fare is, to my mind, unreasonable.

Before worrying too much about the lost 2 days perhaps you might wait to see if it is only two days. At the moment the Ecuadorian government is saying 45 days. Apparently Celebrity is going to negotiate with them tomorrow to get this changed/lifted. They went through something very similar in 2006 when they were banned for even longer for crew members shark fishing. I'm not sure what the out come of that was- the original ban then was 60 days.

Archived