Xpedition Galapagos problem

drfun48

The cruise line obviously.

As far I understood it was not really the cruiseline mistake. The cruiseline came in dificulties with some authorities because of a regulation which was not made public until after the cruiseline was found guilty of having the lobster tails. Maybe I understood wrong?

Before worrying too much about the lost 2 days perhaps you might wait to see if it is only two days. At the moment the Ecuadorian government is saying 45 days. Apparently Celebrity is going to negotiate with them tomorrow to get this changed/lifted. They went through something very similar in 2006 when they were banned for even longer for crew members shark fishing. I'm not sure what the out come of that was- the original ban then was 60 days.

That is interesting. I must have missing that. That would take in our trip , and our post cruise trip to Mashpi Lodge .

I sincerely hope that this is all resolved tomorrow. And that your trip will in fact be wonderful.

Don't hold your breath. You might find this interesting

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294310-i6637-k6532361-Celebrity_Xpedition_cruise_permit_revoked_for_45_days-Galapagos_Islands.html

It says 45 days.

I just talked with the xpedition desk and they said they hoped to get it resolved tomorrow.

It really does not sound too encouraging.

Don't hold your breath. You might find this interesting

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294310-i6637-k6532361-Celebrity_Xpedition_cruise_permit_revoked_for_45_days-Galapagos_Islands.html

It says 45 days.

I just talked with the xpedition desk and they said they hoped to get it resolved tomorrow.

It really does not sound too encouraging.

I was hoping for you- we are sailing in Feb on another line.

This is a link to the earlier problems http://www.galapagos-travel-advisor.com/celebrity-xpedition-islands-ship I cannot find anything tht discusses the outcome.

OK, I don't get it..

The ship has some frozen lobster and its going to the Galapagos islands. What has this got to do with anything? What about shrimp?

What if the ship had a stock of Spam?

Delay a cruise because of a crustaceans?

I just don't understand the reasoning - or the laws.

Jim

I was hoping for you- we are sailing in Feb on another line.

This is a link to the earlier problems http://www.galapagos-travel-advisor.com/celebrity-xpedition-islands-ship I cannot find anything tht discusses the outcome.

Well, I knew about that....but even though the Xpedition desk said they hoped to get it resolved tomorrow....I will believe it when I see it.

OK, I don't get it..

The ship has some frozen lobster and its going to the Galapagos islands. What has this got to do with anything? What about shrimp?

What if the ship had a stock of Spam?

Delay a cruise because of a crustaceans?

I just don't understand the reasoning - or the laws.

Jim

It is out of season for lobster fishing and apparently they were local lobster. I believe that other regulations stipulate that much of the food served in the Galapagos be local- hence the ongoing complains about the beef. So it is not being delayed because of crustaceans but rather because of suspected poaching.

Celebrity will probably offer more compensation than they are legally required to (there's a notice on the website that GNP controls everything and the itinerary is subject to change without notice--yes I know that usually means you go to a different Galapagos island than you were expecting, not that you sit in Quito and twiddle your thumbs ;)), but nothing they can do will really be adequate for some of the passengers who may have saved and planned a long time for this one opportunity.

As a good will gesture they could offer a free Xpedition cruise in the future, but there would still be the issue of expensive airfare back to South America.

I think Celebrity is in a no-win situation here...

We sincerely regret that this delay has impacted our guest’s vacation and thank them for their patience and understanding.

We recognize that a two day delay in the cruise is very disappointing to our guests. Because of this, we have created three different options for them, all of which include a full refund of the cruise fair paid.

• Option 1 – Continue with your Xpedition Sailing

• Option 2 – Return Home

• Option 3 – Vacation in Peru

Again, we sincerely apologize for this unexpected development and its impact on our guests’ vacation. Representatives from Celebrity Cruises will be available at the JW Marriott in Quito during these two days.

Guests may also call us at 1-888-829-4050 in the U.S. and 1-408-916-9001 internationally.

Celebrity Cruises will do everything we can to minimize any further inconvenience to our guests.

Hi Everyone,

Based on the statement from Celebrity, I'm disappointed the GNP took such penalizing actions. It certainly seems it was an honest mistake, and poorly communicated by the authorities. I respect the GNP's position to fine Celebrity if they see fit. However, to delay the ship, and make a mess of things for Celebrity's Guests, is totally unfair & unreasonable. Why take it out on the Guests ? What did they do ?

Furthermore, why come to this decision on 1 day's notice, and well over 60 days AFTER the inspection ? If they were adamant about the 2 day hold, Why not delay such action for a future date, so that Celebrity had time to appeal, and, if the appeal were to be lost, being allowed sufficent time to notify their Guests ? Wow.

IMO, at the very most, the fine is understandable. A letter of reprimand would have been more reasonable. If they had to do something, the authorities should have taken this out on Celebrity, and ONLY Celebrity.... not on their Guests. If I were in Celebrity's shoes, I'd give major thought to sailing in this region in the future.

I wish the authorities would have taken into consideration whom they are actually hurting. At the end of the day, there had to be more sensible solutions for all involved.

I am sure there is more to this then in the public statements.....some ongoing issues with celebrity, some unpaid under the table payments, someone wanting to punish celebrity....we'll never know. perhaps celebritys outstanding offering has hurt someone locally and this is repayment. We can only hope that whatever it is disappears permanently.

I think Celebrity's offer is exceptionally generous and makes the best of a bad situation. It's far more creative than my musings, and seems to offer enough choice (all built around a full refund) to cover most situations.

Kudos!

I agree, I think X ghas done an amazingly well with their offer for compensation. I also do not think they got a slap on the wrist. Most fines for national parks are a standard fee whether for an individual or a company, in this case X has the fine and now the compensation which would cost the company immensely. :D

The injunction has been lifted and the passengers are scheduled to leave early this morning for the Galapagos. The compensation package is very generous even though Xpedition will sail only one day late. We will receive a voucher for another Galapagos cruise paid in full to be used within 2 years, a prorated refund for the one day we missed, and a full day of tours in the Andes this last Sunday. Celebrity has taken care of us with all meals and lodging at the JW Marriott in Quito while this was being resolved. Stay tuned for any developments.

I'm so glad to hear that Celebrity stepped up. Galapagos cruise is on my bucket list and I would be so disappointed for everyone if it had be straightened out. I hope future cruise passengers will not be impacted with an ongoing disagreement between the cruise line and the Galapagos authorities. Enjoy your cruise and make sure to post a review!

The injunction has been lifted and the passengers are scheduled to leave early this morning for the Galapagos. The compensation package is very generous even though Xpedition will sail only one day late. We will receive a voucher for another Galapagos cruise paid in full to be used within 2 years, a prorated refund for the one day we missed, and a full day of tours in the Andes this last Sunday. Celebrity has taken care of us with all meals and lodging at the JW Marriott in Quito while this was being resolved. Stay tuned for any developments.

Great news!! Thanks for sharing!! I agree with everyone else, Celebrity compensation package is very generous!! Kudos to Celebrity!!!

Glad first of all that the trip will only be delayed by one day!

Secondly, Celebrity HAS, in their moment of truth, stepped up and did the RIGHT thing.

I have NO doubt that many people will read/hear about how Celebrity reacted and make a positive mental opinion of wanting to do business with a company that treats its customers like they are treating the passengers of this sailing.

Thanks Celebrity! :)

I disagree with those of you who suggest that Celebrity should compensate passengers with an extra trip. Certainly, though, there should be some form of generous compensation for missing two days OR am I missing something?

The injunction has been lifted and the passengers are scheduled to leave early this morning for the Galapagos. The compensation package is very generous even though Xpedition will sail only one day late. We will receive a voucher for another Galapagos cruise paid in full to be used within 2 years, a prorated refund for the one day we missed, and a full day of tours in the Andes this last Sunday. Celebrity has taken care of us with all meals and lodging at the JW Marriott in Quito while this was being resolved. Stay tuned for any developments.[/quote

Now that's what I call very generous!

Very good news, indeed. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I think Celebrity's offer is exceptionally generous and makes the best of a bad situation. It's far more creative than my musings, and seems to offer enough choice (all built around a full refund) to cover most situations.

Kudos!

I also agree that Celebrity' offer is very generous. Wish the best to those people affected.

Archived