On Grandeur now..

Hi Everyone,

Must have been a miserable night for passengers and crew. I'm so happy to hear that everyone is safe. Wishing them all the best.

I think I've missed something: was this confirmed (even as circumstantial) by the authorities investigating the fire event or was this confirmed here on CC??:confused:

Sorry this never happened.........CBP would have been advised. All it would have taken is 1 person to get caught and the story come up...Carnival would have had fines so high they would be out of business. Not to mention the jail time the people responsible for not informing DBP would have been measured by years' date=' not months.

I am sure CBP was advised and understood the situation and agree to let the passengers from the dream enter the US on their original paperwork.

AKK[/quote']

Dear roscoegirl and Tonka's Skipper:

No need to question Aquahound when he states something like this.

He is the "real deal". Not *just* a CC poster. If he says that an official report said something, it said it. If he says that the CBP does something, then it does something.

Really.

:)

There may be repair facilities in Freeport -- I know there used to be.

Yes, there is a major shipyard in the area.

Sorry this never happened.........CBP would have been advised. All it would have taken is 1 person to get caught and the story come up...Carnival would have had fines so high they would be out of business. Not to mention the jail time the people responsible for not informing DBP would have been measured by years' date=' not months.

I am sure CBP was advised and understood the situation and agree to let the passengers from the dream enter the US on their original paperwork.

AKK[/quote']

No, they were not. I work with these guys and it was a hot topic for a while. It went as far as CCL being instructed not to do it again without proper notifications.

And you are wrong about jail time. It was not a criminal issue.

You may feel sure, but you are wrong. I'm posting this because it is what I do. I know what I say is fact because I was involved.

Dear roscoegirl and Tonka's Skipper:

No need to question Aquahound when he states something like this.

He is the "real deal". Not *just* a CC poster. If he says that an official report said something, it said it. If he says that the CBP does something, then it does something.

Really.

It is also important to note that he was talking about the princess cruise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm not implying it had anything to do with the cause of the fire, but isn't the crew mess on the deck below the mooring station? I remember being docked behind the Enchantment on another cruiseline's ship, and a crew member commented on how lucky RCI crews were to have an open air mess.

Some of the Grandeur's post-fire photos show a lot of people in that area, and it's making me wonder if the crew mess is in the same place on the Grandeur. Does anybody know? If the fire took out the mess, it might explain why passengers, officers and crew were all eating together as described in a previous post.

no, they were not. I work with these guys and it was a hot topic for a while. It went as far as ccl being instructed not to do it again without proper notifications.

You may feel sure, but you are wrong. I'm posting this because it is what i do. I know what i say is fact because i was involved.

:) :) :) :)

Yes....by the officials....but you'll just have to trust me on that one. Reports are written as fact, not best speculation based on circumstances. From what I remember, the final report did not specify cause, other than the balcony deck being flammable, which forced a change industry wide.

I just happen to know some of the guys who were involved in the investigation. I trust their experience in these matters and they all came to the same likely conclusion. It just could be proven with evidence.

Oh...forgive me! I thought you were talking about the current issue with fire on the Grandeur...duh, I guess I did miss a few pages of posts!:o thanks...

Yes....by the officials....but you'll just have to trust me on that one. Reports are written as fact, not best speculation based on circumstances. From what I remember, the final report did not specify cause, other than the balcony deck being flammable, which forced a change industry wide.

I just happen to know some of the guys who were involved in the investigation. I trust their experience in these matters and they all came to the same likely conclusion. It just could be proven with evidence.

I think some are confusing what you are talking about to be about the present cruise of this thread.

It is also important to note that he was talking about the princess cruise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Actually, the two cited comments were about two different situations, one a princess cruise, the other a carnival cruise. But both were questioning Paul's accuracy. I was just letting them know that many people on CC are worth questioning (;)) but others are, indeed, the voice of authority.

dear roscoegirl and tonka's skipper:

No need to question aquahound when he states something like this.

He is the "real deal". Not *just* a cc poster. If he says that an official report said something, it said it. If he says that the cbp does something, then it does something.

Really.

no, they were not. I work with these guys and it was a hot topic for a while. It went as far as ccl being instructed not to do it again without proper notifications.

You may feel sure, but you are wrong. I'm posting this because it is what i do. I know what i say is fact because i was involved.

Your information source is???

You do know I was replying to a post about Star Princess right? :confused:

But even if so, I understand your speculation since you and I are not acquainted. My source is basically me. This is my career field. Some of the folks involved in that investigation are friends and coworkers of mine.

The official report states "it was probably caused by a discarded cigarette end heating combustible materials on a balcony" as found on page 11 here:

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/star%20princess.pdf

WOW - some sobering photos in that report as well. :eek:

Tom

I think some are confusing what you are talking about to be about the present cruise of this thread.

Oh...forgive me! I thought you were talking about the current issue with fire on the Grandeur...duh, I guess I did miss a few pages of posts!:o thanks...

Yeah, my apologies for that. I was answering one question, and then introduced another scenario as a point of reference. Sorry for the confusion. :o

How do they wake all the passengers? What if you are a heavy sleeper would they just come in your room and get you up?

On the CNN newscast one of the passengers said their Stateroom Attendant was beating on their door yelling for them to get up, put their life jackets on and run to the muster station.

Next time you are on board, look at the plaque on the cabin door. It states the muster station for that cabin, as well as a map showing both primary and secondary routes to that station. Each cabin is already planned as to where it goes, and this is part of the overall SOLAS certification for thye ship. I doubt very seriously that staff in Witchita Kansas or Springfield Oregon would be given the ability to alter something so important and permanently planned.

PRC

I don't believe they are saying that the muster assignment should be changed. They are saying that they should have been assigned rooms that already have the same muster station.

Is there a way to know if a cabins has the same muster stations before booking?

I don't understand why the cost guard had a carnival ship standing by to help if needed. How would they be able help?

I would assume that there would be communication between Royal Caribbean and CPB in Baltimore, and under the circumstances the immigration officials would be able to treat a charter flight the same way they would have treated the returning cruise ship.

Does that make too much common sense?:confused:

Yes. My point was that a chartered flight could be dealt with differently, as RCI could alert CBP about the circumstances. For example, RCI could provide passenger manifest, so that customs could check names against those who sailed, etc. But, if each person tried to take individual flights home it would be chaos.

Does anyone know what happens to your OBC when a cruise is cancelled? I converted RC Credit Card points to OBC for the May 31st sailing on the Grandeur. They tell you during the call that you have to understand that the transfer is one-way and it can't go back in your account. Does that mean I will be out the money (since I fully expect to hear within the next day or so that my cruise is cancelled)?

Just look at the most recent picture. All the windows to the lounge above the deck where the fire started are gone. I would imagine there is some structural buckling of the deck floor from the heat of the fire. Based on the discoloration of the steel this was a very hot fire and it appears the fire spread vertically and laterally due to heat conduction through bulkheads and deck flooring.

While I'm not a firefighter like Eng23, I am a merchant marine chief engineer with 37 years experience in ships, including fighting ship fires, on cargo and passenger vessels. The windows in the lounge were probably broken out in order to vent the space instead of allowing the smoke to be cleared by the ship's ventilation with the spread of smoke throughout the vessel. One disadvantage to the universal white paint on cruise ships, is that smoke damage will show as very bad. If this was as hot a fire as people are making out, the columns between the broken windows would have shown some buckling. I doubt that there is much structural damage even in the lounge. Most of what you see as walls and ceilings in ships' spaces are not structural, and the damage will mostly be confined to this. The structural bulkheads and decks are covered with fire insulation to maintain the A-60 rating required.

The length of time required to "extinguish" the fire, should not be used to determine how bad a fire was, as there would be a period of 60-90 minutes after the fire is actually extinguished while the fire teams perform "re-flash" watches, looking for small hot spots and watching for any possible re-ignition of the fire.

The ships are divided into vertical fire zones, so that a fire on deck 3 in the aft most zone will be contained at most to all decks in that vertical zone.

Mooring lines are very difficult to extinguish once they catch fire, as they have a tendency to smolder.

Archived