"Never again in the Haven"

Nalagh

I'm really worried after reading this whole thread. I just upgraded my family to an S6 as a surprise on our upcoming Breakaway cruise. I sure hope I'm not throwing some spoiled rich kids and their parents overboard. That would really be a terrible end to our vacation. I'm wondering if I made a mistake with this upgrade ....

I just thought I would add the problems described on this thread are the exception rather then the norm. I'm not saying they should not address the issue but with more then 10 cruses with Haven access I never experienced the issues with kids and parents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

That is good to know. My stomach is literally turning at the moment wondering if I have made a huge and costly mistake.

I'm really worried after reading this whole thread. I just upgraded my family to an S6 as a surprise on our upcoming Breakaway cruise. I sure hope I'm not throwing some spoiled rich kids and their parents overboard. That would really be a terrible end to our vacation. I'm wondering if I made a mistake with this upgrade ....

NCL has promised to resolve the issue and I have faith in them. We have dealt directly with NCL costumer relations, with very positive results thus far. Daniel had agreed to try the S6 Breakaway Haven, albeit the Haven's last shot in his ideology.

On day 7 I dealt with the children. ;) It is in my review if you need a chuckle.

Cherie

NCL has promised to resolve the issue and I have faith in them. We have dealt directly with NCL costumer relations, with very positive results thus far. Daniel had agreed to try the S6 Breakaway Haven, albeit the Haven's last shot in his ideology.

On day 7 I dealt with the children. ;) It is in my review if you need a chuckle.

Cherie

Ok, thank you. My husband is very, very laid back ... and for the most part, I'm pretty tolerant. He doesn't know I upgraded us, and I'd hate to think how disappointed he would be if all of that money was "wasted". Know what I mean?

The size of your balcony in an s6 along with the butler service will make loss of Haven a little easier to take but it sounds like you won't have anything to worry about. I'm jealous too!! What deck are you on? I wanted 11 or 12 (one for layout, other for proximity to kid's club) but it's not in the cards for us:(

The size of your balcony in an s6 along with the butler service will make loss of Haven a little easier to take but it sounds like you won't have anything to worry about. I'm jealous too!! What deck are you on? I wanted 11 or 12 (one for layout, other for proximity to kid's club) but it's not in the cards for us:(

We're on deck 11. I wanted that one for the door in the bedroom so we can go out to the balcony w/out waking the sleeping teenagers LOL

We're on deck 11. I wanted that one for the door in the bedroom so we can go out to the balcony w/out waking the sleeping teenagers LOL

ooo now I'm doubly jealous! lol I doubt we'll be able to book another suite after this trip, especially on that ship. Love that cabin enough for the both of us!!

(that sounded weird)

:D:eek::D

Is it really a door? The photos I saw make it look like a glass window. Makes so much sense to be a door but I did not think it was.

Have you seen any photos of the bathroom in the S6 on Decks 11 or 14? I know it doesn't have any windows but wonder since the bedroom "looks" bigger in that configuration, how much smaller is the bathroom? We are currently on 12 but are considering maybe switching to Deck 11.

Have you seen any photos of the bathroom in the S6 on Decks 11 or 14? I know it doesn't have any windows but wonder since the bedroom "looks" bigger in that configuration, how much smaller is the bathroom? We are currently on 12 but are considering maybe switching to Deck 11.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834773&page=8

Start at post 154. The bathroom doesn't look small to me, and the bedroom definitely looks bigger!

Yes, it's a sliding glass door - only on decks 11 and 14.

Cool

I saw a photo and remember thinking, why is it not a door. It looked like they had the bathroom windows from the other decks, in the bedroom. From the outside photos too, I did not see any door handles.

But I believe you :)

Cool

I saw a photo and remember thinking, why is it not a door. It looked like they had the bathroom windows from the other decks, in the bedroom. From the outside photos too, I did not see any door handles.

Well, I'm only going by what other people told me! Hopefully, there is a door there.

Cool

Someone who stayed in a deck 11 S6 reported back that they did indeed have a door from the bedroom to the balcony.:)

Hi Peg!!! We leave on 6/23 on the Breakaway. I have an S6 on deck 11. I will be taking loads of pictures, and be posting about the deck 11 configuration in a review when I return...so hang in there for a few weeks! :D

Breakaway is ridiculously expensive!

Of course it is, but NCL knows that pax love the bragging rights that go with being on a new ship.

I will wait 5 years or so to book the Breakaway, if at all.

The Gem was wonderful last week, good weather, easy sail. great ports and well priced.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. The families with children pay just as much as anyone to use the Haven facilities though. Not sure what ship you are referring to, but I never thought Epic had a Haven that was tranquil. It is always busy and crowded. In fact, NCL encourges families with children to book the Haven. All of their 2 bedrooms suites (on the newer ships) ALL have access to the Haven.

I have heard people complain about kids in the Haven but they are allowed to be there. In fact to see kids running around and playing on vacation is who cruise lines seek out. If I see small kids splashing around in the Haven pool, it is cute. That is why I call it the "rich kid pool." But one cruise the teenagers took over the Haven and it was more like a Teen Entourage LOL

Cruise ships are packed with people and families with children. Sometimes we all need our "space" to chill. Its hard to find sometimes though :) Before everyone starts attacking the parents for taking kids on a vacation and having FUN, I would need examples of bad behavior. To simply say kids and the Haven dont mix is not enough for me. NCL would NEVER ban kids from the Haven pool or hot tubs. Kids are going to be loud around ANY pool and on ANY vacation. I dont see NCL banning children from the Haven.

THIS.

I think there does need to be a balance though. Kids will be kids. And families that book the Haven aren't necessarily booking it for "tranquility." They have as much right to book it for "fun" -- to have a pool space right outside their room.

Parents and staff shouldn't let the kids run around uncontrollably... No screaming at the top of their lungs. No canonballs into the hot tub.

At the same time, can't expect those 7-year-olds to rest back in a lounger with a good book, and then swim a couple of laps across the pool. Kids will play. They will play at a level louder than a whisper. And if their families have paid for the Haven, they have the right to do so.

I understand the frustration of those who want tranquility. I'm not unsympathetic. But if you want to avoid kids (and kids WILL be kids), then go on a more exclusive cruise line, or book an adults-only resort, or even be sure to book the cruise while schools are in session. (Granted, there will always be kids on board, but you will likely avoid many rowdy tweens in October, for example).

THIS.

I think there does need to be a balance though. Kids will be kids. And families that book the Haven aren't necessarily booking it for "tranquility." They have as much right to book it for "fun" -- to have a pool space right outside their room.

Parents and staff shouldn't let the kids run around uncontrollably... No screaming at the top of their lungs. No canonballs into the hot tub.

At the same time, can't expect those 7-year-olds to rest back in a lounger with a good book, and then swim a couple of laps across the pool. Kids will play. They will play at a level louder than a whisper. And if their families have paid for the Haven, they have the right to do so.

I understand the frustration of those who want tranquility. I'm not unsympathetic. But if you want to avoid kids (and kids WILL be kids), then go on a more exclusive cruise line, or book an adults-only resort, or even be sure to book the cruise while schools are in session. (Granted, there will always be kids on board, but you will likely avoid many rowdy tweens in October, for example).

I think I represent what most feel. It is okay for kids to be in the Haven pool but if there are people out there sunning and relaxing maybe a little cooperation is in order.

I don't have kids, but my siblings do and I do like kids.

But for one faction to take over a shared area is just not right.

There will be times when the tranquil cruisers aren't out there and then there should be more leeway. Not pandemonium but fun time. Likewise, if some people are trying to relax they shouldn't be splashed, chairs bumped by running kids, or experience shrill screams. That is when parents need to monitor their kids.

I can have a great relaxing sun with a pair or earbuds in and some tunes.

It's about give and take.

THIS.

The problem is that NCL markets the Haven as a "tranquil" space. If it is meant as more of a "family" space (meaning not tranquil) it should be marketed as such. Then perhaps people wouldn't expect tranquility and there would be less disappointment. If NCL wants to keep the Haven as a tranquil space, they need to set guidelines for such, and again, there will be less disappointment..

BTW, my worst Haven experience was during the first week of December, with very few kids on board. The two children that were constantly in the Haven, unaccompanied, day and night, were the only children I remember seeing all week. It wasn't awful, but it would have been nice to be able to enjoy the hot tub one time during the week without sharing it with dozens of toys... Believe me, we tried, but never had the opportunity to use it.

Robin

THIS.

Bologna

Why should I be forced to give up a tranquil Haven because parents do not make their children behave? I purchased a vacation product that was clearly labelled, promoted and promised. Until NCL changes their concept and advertising to include," well kids you get a pool close by", I will expect NCL to follow through with a tranquil Haven.

Cherie

We are just waiting for ncl to define what the haven is. Because they are dragging their heels.m I decided to try the quantum of the seas instead of booking a cruise on the gem for the same date.

Dear Mrs. Le Blanc:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate that you chose the M/S Norwegian Gem for your recent vacation at sea.

As it is our goal to ensure that our guests have a positive cruise experience, it is truly unfortunate to read of your comments about the Haven complex and we would like to extend our sincere apology for the inconvenience you encountered as a result of a lack of consideration shown by the families with young children that were onboard during your sailing. Our onboard staff continuously monitors this area to ensure that all of Haven guests get the peace and quiet they deserve during their stay with us. We do regret that these situations made a negative impact on the overall enjoyment of your cruise.

You can be assured that your comments have been forwarded to the management in the respective departments, so they are aware of your experience.

I do believe they are working on it! :)

Bologna

Why should I be forced to give up a tranquil Haven because parents do not make their children behave? I purchased a vacation product that was clearly labelled, promoted and promised. Until NCL changes their concept and advertising to include," well kids you get a pool close by", I will expect NCL to follow through with a tranquil Haven.

Cherie

When I booked the Haven a couple years ago for my family, the cruise adviser specifically recommended it as a chance to have a pool close by for my kids. So it was indeed marketed to me as a family space. (No, I don't allow my kids to run around unsupervised. I encourage them not to yell and scream. But they do have fun, they do "play" in the pool).

So why should I be forced to give up my family fun Haven because a couple of people want to take naps in loungers?

For people who want true peace and tranquility, there are indeed options. Children aren't allowed in the spa. You can always choose your balcony over the Haven.

Again, I'm not suggesting that the Haven should be a "free for all." Children should be respectful, whether in the Haven, or whether in the main pool, or anyplace else in the ship.

I do agree there is some dichotomy -- The Haven is largely surrounded by family suites -- 2 bedroom suites, etc. The cruise advisers often market it towards families, and it certainly is nicely designed for families. But *most* of the online NCL marketing for the Haven Courtyard does try to give the impression of luxurious tranquility. So there is some disconnect. I think the marketing material needs to be a bit more straightforward.

Instead of guaranteeing privacy and tranquility, more straightforward would say, "An exclusive area set aside solely for our Haven suite guests, where our passengers can relax, dine and swim, away from the hustle and bustle of the main pool and lounges."

Or something like that.

I don wonder whether with the bigger ships... Epic, now Breakaway, whether the Haven has gotten too big, with too many guests, sharing too tight of a space.

When I did the Courtyard (before it was even called the Haven) on the Gem, it was pretty empty most days. There was 1 afternoon where some teenagers were taking up all the space. They weren't terribly misbehaving, but they were playing in the small pool, making it hard for anybody else to use. Mostly just a limit on the actual space. But aside from that, it was pretty empty most of the time. Now where you have 20-40 "Haven" suites, as opposed to 10-12.... I wonder if it's just too many guests for a limited area.

But for one faction to take over a shared area is just not right.

I agree, and it goes both ways. A few kids shouldn't be playing tag, running circles around the whole courtyard, annoying every other guest.

And on the flip side..... Just because an adult is trying to relax in a lounger, doesn't mean that a couple of kids can't play on one side of the pool, in medium volume voices.

Archived