"Never again in the Haven"

Nalagh

Dear Cruise Critic members,

We appreciate the feedback discussed in this thread. We are sharing with the appropriate teams.

Best,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

Thank you from my entire family. I want this issue resolved as I love the Haven and freestyle cruising.

Cherie

<a href=CIMG3042.jpg' alt='CIMG3042.jpg'>

In my Husbands words, "The Haven borders on false advertising as it is marketed as a quite and tranquil environment. There are photos of a peaceful atmosphere in the advertisements and the promotional DVD makes claims to a paradise. If NCL promotes the Haven as tranquil, then NCL needs to provide it or I will never pay for the Haven again."

The reality of the Haven on my last two Haven crises proves a very different scenario than what is advertised. Children gone wild and insufficiencies of parenting negatively impacting fellow Haven cruisers, are much more appropriate terms to describe both of my latest Haven experiences.

I like children, and mine were on the cruise. I did let my children enjoy the haven a few times, but they were on their best behavior. They were not permitted to run, scream, jump in the pool or use the hot-tub. Other parents just let their children run wild, and there was nothing the Gem staff could do.

The policy needs to come from the top. I am not suggesting an overall children's ban, but maybe the concept of limiting children's hours as a compromise could be explored. We pay a serious premium for haven use, and for most on this cruise, it was wasted money.

I hopes NCL explores this issue and finds a compromise that will ensure the integrity of the Haven, while satisfying the Haven families.

Cherie

We have cruised with you guys before and you all are very relaxed and laid back peeps... Amy and I just booked the Haven on the Epic for next year, now I am wondering is it worth it?

We have cruised with you guys before and you all are very relaxed and laid back peeps... Amy and I just booked the Haven on the Epic for next year, now I am wondering is it worth it?

Hi Mike!

I sincerely hope we have this issue resolved prior to your cruise. The Epic Club and Posh make the Haven premium worth it imho even without the Haven area. I LOVED both the posh area and the Epic club!

Happy planning Mike!

Cherie

I just thought I would add the problems described on this thread are the exception rather then the norm. I'm not saying they should not address the issue but with more then 10 cruses with Haven access I never experienced the issues with kids and parents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I just thought I would add the problems described on this thread are the exception rather then the norm. I'm not saying they should not address the issue but with more then 10 cruses with Haven access I never experienced the issues with kids and parents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Thank you!

I'm so sorry you had a negative Haven experience! My family and I were on the Gem the week before you and had a truly wonderful time! On our sailing, I counted 9 kids in the Haven, including my 4 yo son. The majority were between 2 and 5 yo, all excellently behaved, respectful of others, and very well supervised by their parents and grandparents. We enjoyed meeting and spending time with all our fellow Haven cruisers. (I'm starting to think we really lucked out.)

The reason we book the Haven is to be away from big crowds and noise. (My son has Sensory Processing Disorder, so excessive noise and crowds are things we avoid.) We've only been on two cruises, but both times have found the Haven to be very tranquil and relaxing, and Haven cruisers to be lovely. (I hope my luck continues because I'm planning our next cruise now!)

It's too bad that you weren't booked on our sailing - I think you would have had a much better time. We were a friendly & fun (but well-behaved!) bunch. :)

I'm so sorry you had a negative Haven experience! My family and I were on the Gem the week before you and had a truly wonderful time! On our sailing, I counted 9 kids in the Haven, including my 4 yo son. The majority were between 2 and 5 yo, all excellently behaved, respectful of others, and very well supervised by their parents and grandparents. We enjoyed meeting and spending time with all our fellow Haven cruisers. (I'm starting to think we really lucked out.)

The reason we book the Haven is to be away from big crowds and noise. (My son has Sensory Processing Disorder, so excessive noise and crowds are things we avoid.) We've only been on two cruises, but both times have found the Haven to be very tranquil and relaxing, and Haven cruisers to be lovely. (I hope my luck continues because I'm planning our next cruise now!)

It's too bad that you weren't booked on our sailing - I think you would have had a much better time. We were a friendly & fun (but well-behaved!) bunch. :)

Outside the Haven area we had a wonderful cruise. My Husband and in-laws are upset, but I did not care as much. I did tell the children to behave, as I would have my students or children. My husband works, we are a foster home with 3 more children, and he needed down time that he was sure the haven would provide.

I need NCL to fix this for him. When on vacation he needs to decompress. We had a cruise with loads of inclement weather. The Haven should have been his refuge, but he wanted no part or anywhere near it.

He wants me to look into other cruise lines and that breaks my heart. I love NCL and the Haven. My vacation needs and desires are different than his, and his need to spend money on the haven is done. We are a couple of 18 years married, you get him happy, you have me usually. NCL is my exception, and this is me fighting for it. I want policy change so I can continue to sail the way we love. He will not enjoy another line more, rather he will begin to dislike cruising as he carries his tux onto the ship.

Hi Mike!

I sincerely hope we have this issue resolved prior to your cruise. The Epic Club and Posh make the Haven premium worth it imho even without the Haven area. I LOVED both the posh area and the Epic club!

Happy planning Mike!

Cherie

Thanks Cherie!!

We are going to stick with the Haven Suite....

BTW we are taking the Jewel in December have you been on that ship yet?

I can't even FATHOM someone saying that to me. Good grief. I would have made it my mission to 1) stay in that pool as long as possible, and 2) find any way possible to interfere with their cruise. Causing them grief would have been my hobby for a week. lol

That is what I would have done also.

Clearly, the Haven is NOT a haven, as advertised. That is why I have always hung out at the spa, with no kids. I have three kids, and when I am spending thousands of dollars on vacation I seek relaxation and tranquility, and fun. I realize that NCL's point of view is also family oriented in order to appeal to the masses, but they could do a better job on delivering their product regarding the Haven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Cherie!!

We are going to stick with the Haven Suite....

BTW we are taking the Jewel in December have you been on that ship yet?

We loved the Jewel! We had the best Haven experience on the Jewel!

I am very happy to hear you will keep your suite! Have a beer for Daniel!

Cherie

That is what I would have done also.

Clearly, the Haven is NOT a haven, as advertised. That is why I have always hung out at the spa, with no kids. I have three kids, and when I am spending thousands of dollars on vacation I seek relaxation and tranquility, and fun. I realize that NCL's point of view is also family oriented in order to appeal to the masses, but they could do a better job on delivering their product regarding the Haven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Haven can truly be wonderful! Please do not count it out because of this thread. We have had some phenomenal haven experiences, but that last two were poor. NCL had promised to look into and I have faith they will find a solution.

Cherie

Outside the Haven area we had a wonderful cruise. My Husband and in-laws are upset, but I did not care as much. I did tell the children to behave, as I would have my students or children. My husband works, we are a foster home with 3 more children, and he needed down time that he was sure the haven would provide.

I need NCL to fix this for him. When on vacation he needs to decompress. We had a cruise with loads of inclement weather. The Haven should have been his refuge, but he wanted no part or anywhere near it.

He wants me to look into other cruise lines and that breaks my heart. I love NCL and the Haven. My vacation needs and desires are different than his, and his need to spend money on the haven is done. We are a couple of 18 years married, you get him happy, you have me usually. NCL is my exception, and this is me fighting for it. I want policy change so I can continue to sail the way we love. He will not enjoy another line more, rather he will begin to dislike cruising as he carries his tux onto the ship.

Why is it breaking your heart to look at other cruise lines? Perhaps you might like one better if you gave it a chance.

I am assuming your husband works hard for this "$20,000+ for a week vacation"....and he is entitled to try another line, if that's what he wants.

Your husband is being flexible by agreeing to go on another cruise, just not NCL. You've got to bend for him a bit too.....

We have sailed other lines, and he was never happy. Freestyle is the way to go for us.

We normally do not spend this kind of money to cruise, we did so this time because we were 7 and opted for the Garden Villa. His issue is we would have saved money by booking a GV without the Haven. I wanted the haven, so we booked it.

Some people have vacation homes, some have time shares, and I have NCL. To me it is like my second home. In the past year alone I sailed 2x on the Star, 3x on the Sky, 1 Epic and 1 Gem. That is why it breaks my heart.

Yes, he works hard, and so do I. If I get him back the Haven as he has enjoyed it before, he will be more than happy to sail in the Haven,

Cherie

Why is it breaking your heart to look at other cruise lines? Perhaps you might like one better if you gave it a chance.

I agree that trying different lines is a good thing, however, I totally understand the Op's 'broken heart'

If you sail a cruise line that is in almost every way a perfect fit for you and your family, but then have this one thing absolutely sour the experience, it's kind of heartbreaking.

Fortunately, NCL seems to want to rectify this situation...If they can (and do), that would be fabulous. Setting guidelines and enforcing them is what it will take. I hope it's as easy as it sounds (although that is normally never the case). At any rate, I hope they can pull it off. :)

Can we return to reality here. This thread is bleeding into other threads reporting the Haven is over run with unrulely children. That is clearly the exception to the rule with only a handful reporting a problem and 6 ships with Havens sailing everyday.

I think having published enforced behavior rules would help shut down the rare events.

The worst abuse of the Haven I know of was by 6 adults stuffed into an S4 on an upsell. One or two sleeping in the courtyard every night. The final act was one woman decided the pool was her bathtub and showed up with soap and shampoo. They had to drain the pool. :o

Can we return to reality here. This thread is bleeding into other threads reporting the Haven is over run with unrulely children. That is clearly the exception to the rule with only a handful reporting a problem and 6 ships with Havens sailing everyday.

I think having published enforced behavior rules would help shut down the rare events.

The worst abuse of the Haven I know of was by 6 adults stuffed into an S4 on an upsell. One or two sleeping in the courtyard every night. The final act was one woman decided the pool was her bathtub and showed up with soap and shampoo. They had to drain the pool. :o

LOL OMG! Did she really bathe in the pool? Gotta wonder how much that woman drank to make that seem like a good idea!

I agree that this thread, while well intentioned, has gotten out of hand.

Wow...just, Wow! This thread entered the twilight zone for a bit.

Cherie, I hope that NCL does start to enforce some rules in the Haven area, it's a shame that it only takes a few rude folks to ruin it for everyone else. Hopefully, your DH will start to feel confident in booking a Haven Suite again. Honestly, that is our favorite part of NCL...and, yes, I have a suite booked on the Breakaway, BECAUSE it is marketed as a tranquil space. Unfortunately, having a teen, I must travel only during school breaks. I can at least hope we will not have the issues you encountered, otherwise I see numerous calls to the HD in my future.

I am neither "a snookie" nor "a soprano" but will look forward to my Haven Suite on the Breakaway.

I am also the "unofficial president" of the "GIGI is the BEST STEWARDESS EVER" fan club!

232323232%7Ffp63579%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3436554886347nu0mrj

The final act was one woman decided the pool was her bathtub and showed up with soap and shampoo. They had to drain the pool. :o

:eek:

:eek:

OMG

I am neither "a snookie" nor "a soprano"

:p Neither am I, I just sound like one because I grew up in Philly :D I just can't seem to lose that God-forsaken accent :p

Wow...just, Wow! This thread entered the twilight zone for a bit.

Cherie, I hope that NCL does start to enforce some rules in the Haven area, it's a shame that it only takes a few rude folks to ruin it for everyone else. Hopefully, your DH will start to feel confident in booking a Haven Suite again. Honestly, that is our favorite part of NCL...and, yes, I have a suite booked on the Breakaway, BECAUSE it is marketed as a tranquil space. Unfortunately, having a teen, I must travel only during school breaks. I can at least hope we will not have the issues you encountered, otherwise I see numerous calls to the HD in my future.

I am neither "a snookie" nor "a soprano" but will look forward to my Haven Suite on the Breakaway.

I am also the "unofficial president" of the "GIGI is the BEST STEWARDESS EVER" fan club!

232323232%7Ffp63579%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3436554886347nu0mrj

I was on the same cruise as Cherie and had Gigi as our room steward in the Haven...LOVE HER!!

We had Gigi when we cruised with you guys last year Andrea, she is great. Is her husband still on the Gem too?

Hi Michelle, hope all is good with you guys!

Hey Patrick!! It's all good! How about you and Liz? We've got our S6 on the Breakaway coming up in a few weeks, getting ready for that. We've also booked the Epic for next June, going to take DD to Europe for her first time. Just looking forward to summer and vacation! Hope we get to cruise with you guys again soon!

We had Gigi when we cruised with you guys last year Andrea, she is great. Is her husband still on the Gem too?

Hi Michelle, hope all is good with you guys!

I am not sure Patrick this was our first cruise with her our last 3 were Imade who we also adore.

Andrea

I have not yet stayed at the Haven, but I can tell you it is not the fear of unruly children that keeps me away, it is the multiple reports of the staff refusing to reign in obnoxious guest that will keep me from booking.

Archived