"Never again in the Haven"

Nalagh

well of course! but don't kid yourself there is a very serious problem in the boros of NYC at the moment with gang activity...and not talking about Crips and Bloods my friend....do some research and it will shock you....it is very upsetting

as an extremely law abiding person who is more than respectful to other pax, I see this Haven issue as somewhat serious as it can easily attract the wrong kind of person...one who feels all too entitled or one who needs to unload some possibly illegally earned cash...

NCL needs to police this issue...no doubt about it.

I'm not going to speak to the 'streets of NYC' because I don't live there, have never been there and have no basis for frame of reference to address the issue. The only thing I'm talking about is the general lack of consideration by some people toward their fellow human beings, regardless of social or financial status. And to bring drug wars into a discussion of poolside etiquette just because a ship sails out of NYC is, I think, reaching...to say the least.

ok....how about this...I have disdain for people that earn money somehow and have so much of it that they throw it on an overpriced cruise and ruin that cruise for those others who paid the same amount for the cruise but are descent and respectful...got it?

The pax described by the op were thugs and bullies....regardless of their career

Totall agree with you!

ok....how about this...I have disdain for people that earn money somehow and have so much of it that they throw it on an overpriced cruise and ruin that cruise for those others who paid the same amount for the cruise but are descent and respectful...got it?

The pax described by the op were thugs and bullies....regardless of their career

Do you have just as much disdain for lower or middle class people that come on cruises and ruin the experience for those others who paid the same amount or more for their cruise becaue of their rudeness and disrespectful actions? Or is it just a disdain for rich people that do this?

I emailed Ncl and got a response from Klaus the RVP.

I asked him if he could define what the Haven experience is. He said he would be happy to call me. I told him I am traveling and I am cant really talk on the phone, so I again asked him to clarify what I should expect from The Haven. He sent me their video about "serenity" and "tranquility" and told me he would call when I was available.

I emailed him back saying

Dear Klaus,

From the video in the link you sent it clearly says "tranquil" and " serenity". So the problem seems to be that while onboard there is no rules or guidelines posted in The Haven area which causes people to do what ever they like.

I know it's tough for NCL to try and make everyone happy. Especially since a family of 4 will pay more for a suite then a couple will. Everyone pays a high price for The Haven and we should all be able to enjoy it and be respectful of others. This is common sense to most people but sadly there is a minority of people that tend to not care about other people sharing the space.

Due to the lack of behavior guidelines it makes it impossible for anyone to have any recourse and also the staff can't do anything for the same reason.

So I highly recommend a set of guidelines/rules be established and posted on doors to the haven or placed in the welcome onboard packet.

I truly hope you take what I have said into account and realize that it's a large issue that needs to be addressed and I hope it is soon"

He relied with "I can ensure you that we will work and address with our onboard teams accordingly and also continue to monitor our guest behavior in the Haven."

So we shall see but at least they are now aware of the problem

so? I am profiling them as thugs and bullies based on how they acted.

and what is wrong with profiling? It is an extremely useful tool...don't keep your head in the sand...

Every intelligent person on the planet profiles. It is instinct and part of survival. Those who claim they do not profile are either fibbing or don't understand the term.

well of course! but don't kid yourself there is a very serious problem in the boros of NYC at the moment with gang activity...and not talking about Crips and Bloods my friend....do some research and it will shock you....it is very upsetting

as an extremely law abiding person who is more than respectful to other pax, I see this Haven issue as somewhat serious as it can easily attract the wrong kind of person...one who feels all too entitled or one who needs to unload some possibly illegally earned cash...

NCL needs to police this issue...no doubt about it.

You really need to take a step back here and remember what the original post is here. Cherie and I have had some cruises where the Haven is not a Haven at all. This is not about illegal cash and gangs..good lord you are really taking this to a much higher plateau. You have just put drug dealers on the ship and we are complaining about ill behaved, ill mannered adults. Take a breath and relax.

The thread went from unruly splashing, out-of-control children without parental supervision in The Haven Courtyard to drug lords quietly tipping security to look the other way so their kids can get away with disturbing others and licking cookies?! That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? C'mon now, let's get a grip.

In my Husbands words, "The Haven borders on false advertising as it is marketed as a quite and tranquil environment. There are photos of a peaceful atmosphere in the advertisements and the promotional DVD makes claims to a paradise. If NCL promotes the Haven as tranquil, then NCL needs to provide it or I will never pay for the Haven again."

The reality of the Haven on my last two Haven crises proves a very different scenario than what is advertised. Children gone wild and insufficiencies of parenting negatively impacting fellow Haven cruisers, are much more appropriate terms to describe both of my latest Haven experiences.

I like children, and mine were on the cruise. I did let my children enjoy the haven a few times, but they were on their best behavior. They were not permitted to run, scream, jump in the pool or use the hot-tub. Other parents just let their children run wild, and there was nothing the Gem staff could do.

The policy needs to come from the top. I am not suggesting an overall children's ban, but maybe the concept of limiting children's hours as a compromise could be explored. We pay a serious premium for haven use, and for most on this cruise, it was wasted money.

I hopes NCL explores this issue and finds a compromise that will ensure the integrity of the Haven, while satisfying the Haven families.

Cherie

No thugs, just really bad parenting interrupting the Haven tranquillity for the majority of the Haven guests.

I emailed Ncl and got a response from Klaus the RVP.

I asked him if he could define what the Haven experience is. He said he would be happy to call me. I told him I am traveling and I am cant really talk on the phone, so I again asked him to clarify what I should expect from The Haven. He sent me their video about "serenity" and "tranquility" and told me he would call when I was available.

I emailed him back saying

Dear Klaus,

From the video in the link you sent it clearly says "tranquil" and " serenity". So the problem seems to be that while onboard there is no rules or guidelines posted in The Haven area which causes people to do what ever they like.

I know it's tough for NCL to try and make everyone happy. Especially since a family of 4 will pay more for a suite then a couple will. Everyone pays a high price for The Haven and we should all be able to enjoy it and be respectful of others. This is common sense to most people but sadly there is a minority of people that tend to not care about other people sharing the space.

Due to the lack of behavior guidelines it makes it impossible for anyone to have any recourse and also the staff can't do anything for the same reason.

So I highly recommend a set of guidelines/rules be established and posted on doors to the haven or placed in the welcome onboard packet.

I truly hope you take what I have said into account and realize that it's a large issue that needs to be addressed and I hope it is soon"

He relied with "I can ensure you that we will work and address with our onboard teams accordingly and also continue to monitor our guest behavior in the Haven."

So we shall see but at least they are now aware of the problem

Thank you very much for doing that!

Andrea

You really need to take a step back here and remember what the original post is here. Cherie and I have had some cruises where the Haven is not a Haven at all. This is not about illegal cash and gangs..good lord you are really taking this to a much higher plateau. You have just put drug dealers on the ship and we are complaining about ill behaved, ill mannered adults. Take a breath and relax.

Remember this is the same poster who has tried to turn an outdated picture on NCL's website of a six shrimp cocktail from Cagney's into something of momentous importance. That thread is finally losing traction, so I guess she needs to turn another molehill into a mountain.

Well, I was thinking about getting a pass for the Haven, just my husband and I so we did not want a suite when a nice balcony would do. Now I'm seriously reconsidering. Will probably just go to the main pool with people who just want to have fun! I can't believe anyone would tell someone else to get out of the pool, I would go up the ladder until I got satisfaction with that one (not good with confrontation myself). I would also take anybody who would go with me, NCL might listen when you have numerous complaints. I just wish I could get "big mouth" to sit next to me on my cruise!

You cannot "get a pass" for the Haven on the Gem. You have to book a Garden Villa, Owner's Suite or Haven family suite or Haven PH.

Padwin was referring to Posh. It's an easy mistake.

Padwin, no need to worry about that Posh pass going to waste. Posh is for 21 and over and has no pool that I'm aware of. If Ray and I promise not to splash you with the melted ice from our cocktails, will you reconsider getting that Posh pass? ;)

You cannot "get a pass" for the Haven on the Gem. You have to book a Garden Villa, Owner's Suite or Haven family suite or Haven PH.

Quoting myself. I am sorry I missed this being addressed already. Sorry.

It really doesn't matter if someone saves all year for the cost of the Haven or writes $20k checks as if it is nothing, the fact of the matter is that NCL does market the Haven as a relaxing and tranquil space while also selling family suites with access.

There is certainly a very large gap from tranquil to "out of control", and at some point a line is crossed where everyone can enjoy the space they paid for.

There should be rules posted at any pool. Mainly for safety. Running and jumping are not safe and they are usually accompanied by noise. Remove the running and jumping and the noise level goes down. Post rules, empower the courtyard butler and see if that helps.

In regards to the kids splashing at the man on oxygen. That is a shame. Unfortunately some people make sport of picking on elderly, handicapped or overweight people in our society with no regards for their feelings. Sometimes that behavior is passed down to kids and that is so sad.

On out Sun cruise in March we left an event we had been looking forward to because of a mother/son duo who were disruptive. The boy was a hellion and his mother was not equipped to control him so wherever they went it became unbearable for others. So, I can only imagine what the Haven must have been like for Cherie and the others.

Thanks to Shaun07 and also to Klaus for responding to Shaun so quickly.

Let's hope that Klaus and his team will really spend the time to review the issues as he said they will (I hope so since we have 4 more cruises in the Haven booked).

I strongly recommend everyone that has a concern to write a letter

Thank you very much for helping to shed light on this issue. I did send NCL CS a report of our latest haven experiences, and I look forward to hearing back. If we could affect policy change, I am sure I could get my husband back to the Haven! :)

The spirit of this thread got lost, I thank you for bringing it back on track.

Happy planning,

Cherie

That's the first thing on my desk for the morning a I was stuck in meetings/calls most of today (and no one wants to read any E-mail I send late at night:eek:).

Thank you very much! Your support is appreciated!

Cherie

Thank you very much! Your support is appreciated!

Cherie

Cherie -

It's awful to see that you and your family had a cruise experience that was marred by the behavior of others just as we have had. We all need to stick together and work towards making the Haven into a facility that all the guests within it can enjoy. I'm a firm believer that solutions exist - they just need to be found.

And, hopefully, we will once meet on a future cruise (in the Haven ;)).

Heidi & Bob

My wife just asked me today if we were booked into the Haven this summer on the Jewel. I laughed for about 10 minutes and then explained what was going on with the Haven. I should have shown her this thread.

My wife just asked me today if we were booked into the Haven this summer on the Jewel. I laughed for about 10 minutes and then explained what was going on with the Haven. I should have shown her this thread.

My very best Haven experience was on the Jewel! Fantastic memories :)

Have a wonderful cruise!

Cherie

Very good idea -- NCL only knows of the problems if those who encounter them make it known. Don't keep it to yourself or just post on these boards.

It really doesn't matter if someone saves all year for the cost of the Haven or writes $20k checks as if it is nothing, the fact of the matter is that NCL does market the Haven as a relaxing and tranquil space while also selling family suites with access.

There is certainly a very large gap from tranquil to "out of control", and at some point a line is crossed where everyone can enjoy the space they paid for.

There should be rules posted at any pool. Mainly for safety. Running and jumping are not safe and they are usually accompanied by noise. Remove the running and jumping and the noise level goes down. Post rules, empower the courtyard butler and see if that helps.

In regards to the kids splashing at the man on oxygen. That is a shame. Unfortunately some people make sport of picking on elderly, handicapped or overweight people in our society with no regards for their feelings. Sometimes that behavior is passed down to kids and that is so sad.

On out Sun cruise in March we left an event we had been looking forward to because of a mother/son duo who were disruptive. The boy was a hellion and his mother was not equipped to control him so wherever they went it became unbearable for others. So, I can only imagine what the Haven must have been like for Cherie and the others.

dMH15 - well said! I have not stayed in Haven yet (going on firs,t NCL cruise in July) but look forward to enjoying it one day) but we are not the type to write a 20k check freely. We have saved for our cruise on the Dawn in the Owners Suite and will be traveling with our 14 yo dd and her 14 yo BFF.

I would expect that they are welcome in areas that allow for children but I would also expect that they would behave and be respectful of others just ask would expect others to be respectful of them and us.

Tam

Archived