Staying ashore on an overnight stop.

Flamin_June

I have asked this question on a Legend roll call thread, but not had a clear response. I have emailed Seabourn and not yet a had a specific answer from them either.

Does anyone know if one can choose to stay shoreside on an overnight stop? The Legend will be docking in Ho Chi Minh City on the 15th Dec 2013, staying overnight and sailing away at 5.00 pm on the 16th. We would like to spend the night in a hotel in HCMC.

In theory it should be quite feasible, but are there any ship's rules or visa issues or problems releasing pasports for the day that one should know about?

We stayed overnight whilst the Odyssey was in Bangkok (Laem Chabang )

We did our own tour up to the River kwai to Kanchanaburi.

Not only did we inform our cabin stewardess but also the purcers desk and

gave them our mobile phone# .

Kind regards

Tony

You more then likely can do this. I will come to why I say more then likely in a moment.

You should let the reception desk know what you are doing and where you are staying and you will need your passport if you are staying at a hotel.

Now to why I say more then likely. On our last visit there the local authority initially said there would be a curfew for all guests and crew. However, after negotiations between the ship and the local authorities this got worked out. So assuming you don't have any issues such as this you really should be fine.

Keith

In theory it should be quite feasible, but are there any ship's rules or visa issues or problems releasing pasports for the day that one should know about?

Hi FJx2

We also did it in Luxor - booked our own tour and tour guide and arranged hotel accomm independently. We notified Seabourn Square (was on Quest) about 48 hours beforehand and they cleared it with Egyptian authorities for us (there were actually six of us toured together). Also gave us back our passports which we then returned to them once back.

Unless there are visa issues with Vietnam, which I imagine won't be as they are trying for more foreign tourist traffic, I would think you should be OK. Have a good one and tell us afterwards how it all works as we are considering the Legend Hong Kong to Dubai in the spring.

Cheers

2Stams

June, We have remained on land overnight in several ports. There is not an issue from the ship's side although most certainly you would want to notify them and give them contact information. You will need to ascertain that this is allowed by the country that you are visiting as rules and visa requirement vary. Remember to take your passport with you as it may be required to check into the hotel.

On our March '13 trip to Vietnam we did not have any curfew and in fact, did not have a curfew in any port touring SE Asia. The word stirred a pale memory and I think that I may have seen a gangplank sign about a crew curfew but I have no idea who was the author of same. Paula

Thanks, everyone, for all your helpful responses. I will make the hotel reservations with confidence.

'Only' 194 days to go and champing at the bit already!

2Stams: we will keep you posted, one way or another. I understand Hans & Maria are doing the Legend Dubai to Singapore in November....

In Luxor. No problem at all, just let your room steward know, she was worried about us.

kietzmanbc, did you need to apply for your own visa to do this, or was it organised by Seabourn? We are doing a similar itinerary to the one you did and somewhere (???where) I got the idea we only needed to organise our Indian visa, but our TA is saying we need to organise our own.

Archived