Grandeur: Six Sailings Cancelled

From RCI:

On Monday, May 27, Grandeur of the Seas experienced a fire in the mooring area in the aft of the ship. Unfortunately, due to the time needed to repair the damage caused by the fire, it is necessary to cancel Grandeur of the Seas’ next six sailings. The ship is expected to return to service with the July 12 sailing. Grandeur of the Seas’ cancelled sailings include:

May 31, 2013

June 7, 2013

June 14 2013

June 21, 2013

June 28, 2013

July 5, 2013

We are deeply sorry for this unexpected development in our guests’ upcoming vacation.

Royal Caribbean International will provide affected guests with a full refund of their voyage. For their convenience, all monies paid will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment within the next three weeks. Guests who are ready to rebook onto a future sailing, and prefer to reapply the funds prior to the refund process being completed, should do so prior to June 12. For guests or travel agents rebooking by June 12, please contact us at 888-824-0012. Otherwise, they may book at your convenience.

Royal Caribbean International will also provide these guests with a future cruise certificate for 25% of the cruise fare paid. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on Royal Caribbean International.

From RCI:

On Monday, May 27, Grandeur of the Seas experienced a fire in the mooring area in the aft of the ship. Unfortunately, due to the time needed to repair the damage caused by the fire, it is necessary to cancel Grandeur of the Seas’ next six sailings. The ship is expected to return to service with the July 12 sailing. Grandeur of the Seas’ cancelled sailings include:

May 31, 2013

June 7, 2013

June 14 2013

June 21, 2013

June 28, 2013

July 5, 2013

We are deeply sorry for this unexpected development in our guests’ upcoming vacation.

Royal Caribbean International will provide affected guests with a full refund of their voyage. For their convenience, all monies paid will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment within the next three weeks. Guests who are ready to rebook onto a future sailing, and prefer to reapply the funds prior to the refund process being completed, should do so prior to June 12. For guests or travel agents rebooking by June 12, please contact us at 888-824-0012. Otherwise, they may book at your convenience.

Royal Caribbean International will also provide these guests with a future cruise certificate for 25% of the cruise fare paid. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on Royal Caribbean International.

Thank you...Finally, the official word... For those cruising 7/12, hope things don't get further delayed...ya just never know.:cool:

Such sad news for grandeur and all the guests due to sail.

I hope the guests manage to enjoy a holiday elsewhere.

It is sad and disappointing but understandable. We were going June 14 and taking my husband's children back to Bermuda where they were born and have never been back. We have a very limited window of time to take a vacation and limited funds, which we saved for a long time to take this cruise. I am trying to be understanding that it takes a long time to coordinate but waiting 1 month to get my money back is disappointing to say the least. We will not be taking a vacation this year. :( Also, I called my TA and was told RCI would refund the money in 3 to 4 weeks. I called RCI just to see if this could be changed and was told that I had to call my TA and "cancel" the cruise before they would even process my refund. My TA also told me we would get a 50% cruise certificate, which I figured was incorrect and was. It is 25. I asked RCI about this and was told, "It is clearly on our web site." I just wanted them to know some TAs may be misinformed! I wouldnt want to be a TA or RCI phone person right now!

It is sad and disappointing but understandable. We were going June 14 and taking my husband's children back to Bermuda where they were born and have never been back. We have a very limited window of time to take a vacation and limited funds, which we saved for a long time to take this cruise. I am trying to be understanding that it takes a long time to coordinate but waiting 1 month to get my money back is disappointing to say the least. We will not be taking a vacation this year. :( Also, I called my TA and was told RCI would refund the money in 3 to 4 weeks. I called RCI just to see if this could be changed and was told that I had to call my TA and "cancel" the cruise before they would even process my refund. My TA also told me we would get a 50% cruise certificate, which I figured was incorrect and was. It is 25. I asked RCI about this and was told, "It is clearly on our web site." I just wanted them to know some TAs may be misinformed! I wouldnt want to be a TA or RCI phone person right now!

I'm really sorry that your vacation was ruined. You must be so disappointed :(

I'm really sorry that your vacation was ruined. You must be so disappointed :(

Thank you Stacy. I am but we will try again next year. My poor husband. He is trying so hard to figure out something we can do. He keeps coming in and offering me things. He said, "Hey, let's go get an ice cream!" I am off to get some oreo coffee ice cream and drown my sorrow in calories! :p

There must be some pretty extensive damage to have to cancel 6 weeks of sailings. That is a lot of lost revenue for the company.

I guess I should go check what happened to stock price

While the damage indeed may be extensive, I also think it has a lot to do with what was an unexpected event that now requires a lot of short term planning and logistics involved to resolve. It's not as though this was a scheduled maintenance program. The actual work may not take that long but getting the necessary repair plans, materials, and manpower in place on the fly must be a logistical nightmare!

I'm looking forward to the GRANDEUR returning to Baltimore. Every Friday morning, the local TV always had the helicopter flying with streaming LIVE video. thrilling to view.

Maybe the reviews will improve after this latest effort with the Grandeur. the reviews, since sailing Baltimore, haven't been the best....:confused:

Thank you Stacy. I am but we will try again next year. My poor husband. He is trying so hard to figure out something we can do. He keeps coming in and offering me things. He said, "Hey, let's go get an ice cream!" I am off to get some oreo coffee ice cream and drown my sorrow in calories! :p

Aw. I would be crushed too. I know we all wait so long to cruise for many different reasons. I guess it wasn't meant to be this time, for whatever reason. Ice cream sounds great, I hope you can enjoy it. You will be cruising again soon!!

I'm looking forward to the GRANDEUR returning to Baltimore. Every Friday morning' date=' the local TV always had the helicopter flying with streaming LIVE video. thrilling to view.

[b']Maybe the reviews will improve after this latest effort with the Grandeur. the reviews, since sailing Baltimore, haven't been the best[/b]....:confused:

I have seen several recent positive reviews on Grandeur. Here is one of them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1853036

It is sad and disappointing but understandable. We were going June 14 and taking my husband's children back to Bermuda where they were born and have never been back. We have a very limited window of time to take a vacation and limited funds, which we saved for a long time to take this cruise.

I don't know if you checked, but Explorer out of NYC goes down to Bermuda on June 8th and 22nd. These are 5 night cruises, but you still have two nights in port and most of two full days. It does not match exactly with your June 14th date, but it is close. Also, when I was trying to decide between Balt and NY for our Oct trip to Bermuda, NY was quite a bit less expensive for basically the same cruise.

Is the Explorer out of Bayonne something you looked into or even a possibility? I know she does Bermuda as well. Just a helpful thought for you try and salvage your holiday plans.

I feel bad for all the displaced passengers on those cruises. I hope they all can find other options that will still be great vacations.

This just makes me even more determined to get on a Vision class ship in the next couple years. The Grandeur looks like a beautiful ship (when she's not on fire :eek: :D )

There must be some pretty extensive damage to have to cancel 6 weeks of sailings. That is a lot of lost revenue for the company.

I guess I should go check what happened to stock price

uh, a little something known as insurance will help mitigate the loss for RCI....

So sorry this has happened to everyone. Did you check with your TA to see if there is availability on the Explorer of the Seas from Bayonne. It's a 5 night cruise to Bermuda, but it may work for you.

uh, a little something known as insurance will help mitigate the loss for RCI....
Per their 2012 annual report, they don't carry business interruption insurance on their ships. One analyst estimated a $15-20 million hit, that sounds about right to me.

Actually, like many large companies, RCCL self-insures, so no insurance will not help offset the loss. When you consider this, RCCL must have really had to think long and hard before cancelling all those trips BUT if it was the right thing to do, I for one am glad they made that call:)

I'm so sorry this happened...you're being incredibly gracious. I hope you come up with something fun to do!

Gosh :(. I hate it for those who have been looking forward to these cruises for so long. That would be so disappointing.

Absolutely! That's the awful part.:(

Archived