Viking Star 2015 Cruisers List

rblevow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

tt44 - I heard this concern one other time. Would you mind giving us an example? When I look up "Viking Star' and search itineraries it shows the same that we paid for. Now hearing this again, it is most certainly concerning. THank you

Our brochure shows day 4 London (Southampton) , but it is actually Greenwich, with an overnight. Our TA says you have to dig deep to figure it all out - it seems since this is a new tour and a new shop for Viking and they are mixing up 2015 and 2016 - and they are NOT including all you expect of the excursions. I have called them and complained that "why am I not seeing what is in the brochure. They pointed out the "small Print" which allows them to change anything. If you find out anything different please let us know.

we are booked on the Viking star 8/8/15

Hi to all on the 8-8-15 cruise from Bergen to Barcelona. We too noticed the different schedules on this cruise. Why would they have such different ports in 2016 than they do in 2015? We wanted to see a few ports on the 2016 cruise, then noticed the difference. Still looking forward to being on the new ship, and visiting the ports listed. We are considering the pre visit to Oslo with the train ride to Bergen. Anyone else?

Just booked our flights on the United web-site, but all the flights are on "partner" airlines. Used Frequent Flyer miles, the "super saver" kind. I noticed there weren't many of the super saver FF flights left, so if you're thinking of using FF miles, you may want to start shopping. The super saver flights use about 40% fewer miles. I also had to pay $277 cash, but that seems miniscule compared to the overall cost of the trip. I think those are taxes, and I think you have to pay cash for taxes. The trip both ways are two segment flights, changing only once, and they leave at decent times - no 6:00am fights thank goodness! Now I have to check into the hotel situation. It seemed so far in advance when we made our booking with Viking, it's getting more real now that I have our flights. Anyone else making progress?

idelizabeth,

We have our flights booked on Delta. Not bad. Detroit to AMS then to IST going over, with a short layover. Then Venice to AMS coming back, again short layover and then n/s to Detroit. We got economy comfort seats.

We are going into Istanbul with our friends one night before boarding so that we can be fresh and maybe see a bit of the city that night. Also, we'll have the entire day on the 11th to sightsee and the 12th as well. Have tentative hotel bookings in Istanbul and Venice, but are still looking at others. We're staying over in Venice 2 nts.

Becki

We use ff mile on int'l flights when possible - how do you find the super saver fares using miles?

With United Airlines if you search for a flight and put in you want to use miles...if super saver options are available they will show up. Not available for all flights and very limited. Of course you still have to pay to use FF now a days. I usually use mine to upgrade when possible.

Just saw an article that domestic airfares are rising , now around 500 or so for a round trip with in the USA on a "main stream" airline and the airlines are making billions in profits....Nice!

Kathy

Thank you Kathy. I think that there are different names for this within the airline - I constantly watch the 'price point ' of FF miles for flights I want, and when / if it hits Their lowest price point within a few days of my target travel dates, I run with it - time consuming but so worth it!

Using 'partner' airlines seems to be another beast!

Kathy 9 has the right answer, but I would add a few details. First, make sure on the United screen when you enter the destination and date information, that you check the box towards the bottom that says Reward Travel (other check boxes are Price and Schedule). This will bring up all the flights that would get you there using FF miles, but here's the catch - you are looking for those flights with little BLUE boxes to select. The BLUE boxes are the Saver reward amounts. The YELLOW boxes are the regular FF miles that are required. Only some flights will have the BLUE boxes. You might have to scroll down QUITE FAR to find the ones with BLUE boxes. But the BLUE boxes require far fewer frequent flier miles. The blue boxes might be under Economy, Business class or First class, so you'll want to find the BLUE boxes in the category of travel you want to take. Naturally, the Business class takes more miles than the Economy, even if both categories have BLUE boxes. But those flights with Blue boxes for Business will often require fewer miles than Yellow boxes for economy.

Now all of this only applies to United and it's affiliates and partners on the United web site. Can't tell you about any other airlines.

Good luck!

We have not decided on which pre trip to take but we think 2 day Iceland - any others on the 8/8/15 cruise

We are on the 8/8/15 cruise and will be doing the Iceland pre-tour. The Iceland excursion was one of the big reasons we picked this particular Viking Star journey.

Jackie & David

Jassy - Jackie and David - we just booked the Aug. 8 Passage Through Western Europe cruise. We also signed up for the pre-cruise excursion to Iceland. This should be a lot of fun!

Now I need to change my signature and try sitraveler's instructions for hacking together a countdown clock. :D

Hi!

So glad to "meet" you.

Please join us on the roll call for this cruise here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2089499

• 1 month later...
Kathy 9 has the right answer, but I would add a few details. First, make sure on the United screen when you enter the destination and date information, that you check the box towards the bottom that says Reward Travel (other check boxes are Price and Schedule). This will bring up all the flights that would get you there using FF miles, but here's the catch - you are looking for those flights with little BLUE boxes to select. The BLUE boxes are the Saver reward amounts. The YELLOW boxes are the regular FF miles that are required. Only some flights will have the BLUE boxes. You might have to scroll down QUITE FAR to find the ones with BLUE boxes. But the BLUE boxes require far fewer frequent flier miles. The blue boxes might be under Economy, Business class or First class, so you'll want to find the BLUE boxes in the category of travel you want to take. Naturally, the Business class takes more miles than the Economy, even if both categories have BLUE boxes. But those flights with Blue boxes for Business will often require fewer miles than Yellow boxes for economy.

Now all of this only applies to United and it's affiliates and partners on the United web site. Can't tell you about any other airlines.

Good luck!

Another hint on the United website is to not go with the default on number of flights to search, but instead change the number to 50. Often gives you more options on partner airlines with Saver fares.

Sent from my iPad using Forums