RCI signs contract for third Quantum class ship

The third Oasis class has been ordered for the delivery the same year.

I believe they also have an option for a fourth Oasis class ship, but I don't think that has been exercised yet.

If Anthem is going to England, this third one better come here to Ft. La De Da! <stomping feet>

Not sure about Ft. Lauderdale, though I love that port, but maybe somewhere in FL. I wouldn't be surprised about panama canal routes since she should be panamax by the new standards.

In a different direction, if there would be a 3rd Quantum and possibly a 4th Oasis, it makes me start to wonder about the future of the Vision class ships. Could they see no change in use, be earmarked exclusively for smaller markets or exotic itineraries, or maybe phased out altogether? I realize RCI is growing but that is a lot of increased capacity. Just posing the question.....

In a different direction, if there would be a 3rd Quantum and possibly a 4th Oasis, it makes me start to wonder about the future of the Vision class ships. Could they see no change in use, be earmarked exclusively for smaller markets or exotic itineraries, or maybe phased out altogether? I realize RCI is growing but that is a lot of increased capacity. Just posing the question.....

After the Quantum and Oasis class, I think RCI is going to have to come out with a "smaller" (as in < 100,000 gt) class next. Within 5 years, all 6 Vision class ships will be over 20 years old. The older Vision class ships are going to be over 20 years old by 2016 when Quantum 3 and Oasis 3 come out. That's about the age they like to start retiring older ships from the fleet.

There are many ports that cannot accommodate the new. large vessels. If RCI wants to keep sailing to those ports or expand their business into places that may not support a 5000 passenger behemoth, they're going to have to have some smaller ships.

We've seen this in the past when they built the more intimate Radiance class ships to offset the "largest in the world" Voyager class. I think we'll see it again with some smaller ships to offset the Quantum and Oasis class and replace the retiring Vision class.

After the Quantum and Oasis class, I think RCI is going to have to come out with a "smaller" (as in < 100,000 gt) class next. Within 5 years, all 6 Vision class ships will be over 20 years old. The older Vision class ships are going to be over 20 years old by 2016 when Quantum 3 and Oasis 3 come out. That's about the age they like to start retiring older ships from the fleet.

There are many ports that cannot accommodate the new. large vessels. If RCI wants to keep sailing to those ports or expand their business into places that may not support a 5000 passenger behemoth, they're going to have to have some smaller ships.

We've seen this in the past when they built the more intimate Radiance class ships to offset the "largest in the world" Voyager class. I think we'll see it again with some smaller ships to offset the Quantum and Oasis class and replace the retiring Vision class.

I agree with you. Right now the market is calling for the mega ships, so that is what they are producing. They want to have these behemoths in each of the major worldwide markets so that they can be competitive in those areas, as well as dig further into the still farily-new segment of "familiy" cruisers. Once they have flooded that market with enough cruise options, they will hopefully go back and revise their fleet for the old-school cruisers. Also, let's face it, it also comes down to $. If RCI can handle 4500+ people out of a port instead of 2500, it is a lot more cost effectve for them.

From your lips (or fingertips)!

I agree with you. Right now the market is calling for the mega ships, so that is what they are producing. They want to have these behemoths in each of the major worldwide markets so that they can be competitive in those areas, as well as dig further into the still farily-new segment of "familiy" cruisers. Once they have flooded that market with enough cruise options, they will hopefully go back and revise their fleet for the old-school cruisers. Also, let's face it, it also comes down to $. If RCI can handle 4500+ people out of a port instead of 2500, it is a lot more cost effectve for them.

There will have to be a change in the market because none of the major players are building smaller and many of the ships in those lines have aging ships that are small. Princess just took delivery today of their new 141,000 ton ship. NCL is now super sizing the Breakway class. Carnival is going larger with their next new build. Celebrity just finished building five new ships that were larger than the existing fleet and even HAL is going larger with their next new build. I personally do not see RCI going smaller.

Archived