Disembarking

What ship, what port and when. It all depends. If you get in port on time, and no customs delays and you carry off your own luggage, about an hour after you arrive.

The Gem ,Manhattan -if we do not carry our own luggage .The earliest disembarking time is 9:15 .Do we go through Customs there?

Approximately how long does it take to get off the ship and into the taxi stand area .We have to pre-arrange a pick up .

It depends on the port.

It depends on how if you do a self disembark, wait your turn, or VIP.

It depends on how fast you move along.

It depends if you have customs stuff to deal with.

Lots of "it depends".

As others have written there are many many factors. A couple things I can add from my experiences... We usually do not do walk off/carry our own bags. We have a time that we are "scheduled" to disembark. However, because people who do self walk off tend to show up at all different times this can cause the scheduled times to run late. Have had both late and on time. Also, we usually have an arranged car service. If it is not someone who knows you and what you look like this can be a bit tricky too. Things are moving so fast they could possibly drive past you. So grabbing a taxi could be faster but not necessarily better. I have disembarked all in under an hour and well over an hour late. Just things to keep in mind that there are a few steps and many factors that could potentially delay you.

Both our trips on the Gem went like this. We did walk off, went down and got in line at 7:00am, shipped docked at 7:30. By 8:15 we were thru customs to our car and driving home. Cant get much easier:)

Approximately how long does it take to get off the ship and into the taxi stand area .We have to pre-arrange a pick up .

You might want to talk to the company you are arranging pick up with to see what their procedures are. Usually, they have you call them when you have your luggage in hand. They are usually waiting for the call in a nearby area based on the approximate time you give them. They then give you a description of the vehicle and tell you where to look for them. It will probably not be by the taxi stand. In my experience, if you are going a fairly short distance, a taxi will be much faster. After we find our vehicle, not an easy task, you then sometimes have to wait for other passengers who are joining you.

We've several times been as quick as 20 minutes from beginning to exit until on the street. However, we've also been 3 hours for the same situation once when there was a customs/immigrations issue requiring each passport for each passenger to be scanned, wait for the computer to bring up the info, and then slowly compared with the individual holding it. No standard or guarantees. Realistically, it shouldn't take over an hour even on slow days.

We are going by a car service to the cruiseport .After the cruise is over we will be picked up by the same company .We will be 6 people .Our plan is to have breakfast on board the ship and be on the 9:15 call to leave ,pick up our luggage from the luggage port and go outside to take the car service for a 90 minute drive to our next destination .

I can guestimate the time but only if we do not have to go through Customs .That is what I was trying to ascertain .

Archived