Private tours in StPetersburg

egaowl1

There are several recommended companies listed on the Ports Of call forum

They all do the same tour spots, I bet if you tried 2 different companies the speech would be the same for each tourist site ;)

I Found Viktoria of SPB -Tours very receptive in doing sites off the normal tour offered

Check the ones that do the sites you are interested

Some do a drive by some actually enter the site so make sure you clarify that

Enjoy

I am a bit schizophrenic about my recommendation.

We had Viktoria in 2006 when she still worked for Alla and was just thinking about starting her SPB company.

Thus I can recommend both Viktoria (SPB) and Alla's tours :D

I'll throw another name into the mix ~ Insider Tour. Although they are not as well known, they are highly reliable and competent. They worked with me, promptly via email, to tailor the two days' itinerary to my specifications. We had a safe and punctual driver as well as a warm and knowledgable guide ~ it was like traveling with friend's. Check out their website.

Harriet

We used Denrus a few years ago. Our guide was exceptional. Her English was excellent. We told her what we wanted to see and it was all reserved. They got us in ahead of any lines. We were finished early with one location and she called ahead to the next. They were at lunch and closed but she knew whoever answered and we went in...we had the whole museum to ourselves.

Trying to decide which tour company is best. Anyone have a recommendation?

We are using Guide-Guru - Natalia has been super responsive on our emails and we have been Skyping every day to arrange the tours. She was less expensive than Alla with more inclusions. She has also been really accommodating for "special requirements".

We were originally booked with Alla but her pricing went a little sideways and her emails were slow and erratic about what she had confirmed.

All these tour companies have excellent ratings on most websites devoted to reviews. I am beginning to think that there is really only one tour company (probably Intourist) that puts these trips together and these tour companies actually act as agents ..... just my opinion, however.

we were extremely satisfied with Red October. They were very accommodating when we wanted to tweak their standard 2 day itinerary. I was also communicating with DenRus; they were effusive until I asked about making some changes--then they became very unpleasant.

We were in St Petersburg a couple of weeks back. We (four of us) did a private 2 day tour with SPB. The itinerary that we had designed with Viktoria got some 'last minute' readjusting. We were unhappy with this because it essentially reduced our time at Peterhof to 30 minutes (it was unfortunately a spectacular sunny day) so we could make an early lunch and we didn't get our promised 8.30 AM early entry to the Hermitage - we got in at 09.45 AM instead. This meant our time to stroll around town was cut to zero.

When time is tight to maximize sightseeing a reputable company is worth it's weight in gold. When we passed on feedback about the tour to Viktoria she became really defensive and said that because it was so busy it was difficult to secure tickets to the Hermitage and that we were, in fact, extremely lucky to see Catherine's Palace. She could have easily managed our expectations with a short email to say that things had to be rearranged, instead of leaving it up to the guide to let us know the unhappy news.

I completely understand that prior planning is required to secure tickets to see these amazing sights, and that sometimes it just doesn't work out. I was just unhappy with the way changes to the itinerary were dealt with (like a the entrance to Peterhof) and the manner in which Viktoria responded. She did present us with a box of yummy chocolates the next day and instead of early-early entry to the Hermitage we did a canal cruise which was particularly enjoyable in the sunshine.

Just wondering if this is a new thing or it's been reported previously with the 'big' operators. Perhaps it would be wise to do some homework and go with a smaller operator that can guarantee a small number of tickets, unlike SPB/Alla how obviously can't satisfy the demand for tickets given the large number of people booking with them. It will be interesting to see reports as the season progresses.

Archived