silver explorer june 4 2013

spinnaker2

True to the prediction, we started to encounter pack ice at around one a.m., and there was plenty of it. The weather also deteriorated, it was a little windy, snowy and the seas kicked up a bit. My husband put on his patch for the second time.

I could barely sleep as it was amazing to see the pack ice, the weather and i feared i would miss something. That was a theme for me throughout the cruise, it was hard to sleep for fear of missing something, and since there was no darkness, you could always see what was going on outside.

we were near Moffen Island and searching for wildlife...

As the weather was a factor, the Captain and expedition leader made a decision to go to Magdalenefjord, where we might see wildlife (like bears) and certainly would be more protected from the elements, namely the rough sea. This was a day when the infamous bags taped to the rail every few inches made their appearance for awhile.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off the Explorer on July 6th. We thought the dining room staff was excellent and very personable. The MD Anna was from South Africa. She was a gem. While we had excellent servers from the Philippines we also had servers from Malaysia & Sweden. The chef from Germany was also ever present and always happy and engaging. No fault to be found by us, but everyone has his or her own experience and it is good to hear all points of view.

Our experience with the crew on this ship confirmed our decision to do the Antarctic with SS.

Helen and Rachel - if you haven't gotten your documents yet, our charter leaves Churchill at 1:30 PM, so yours must be leaving Winnipeg and arriving in Churchill around noon to turn around and take us back to Winnipeg. I think the flight is something like 2 1/2 hours long.

Leslie

Helen and Rachel - if you haven't gotten your documents yet, our charter leaves Churchill at 1:30 PM, so yours must be leaving Winnipeg and arriving in Churchill around noon to turn around and take us back to Winnipeg. I think the flight is something like 2 1/2 hours long.

Leslie

Ikbside - are you on the Explorer 7318 Reykjavik to Churchill ???

Ikbside - are you on the Explorer 7318 Reykjavik to Churchill ???

Yes! Getting excited. We leave for Iceland 7/31. We are renting a car and exploring south and east Iceland before boarding.

Yes! Getting excited. We leave for Iceland 7/31. We are renting a car and exploring south and east Iceland before boarding.

We are doing that too, we arrive in Reykjavik on Friday 2/8. Where are you staying in Reykjavik ?

Ann

We are doing that too, we arrive in Reykjavik on Friday 2/8. Where are you staying in Reykjavik ?

Ann

We are staying one night in Skogar, 2 nights in the Skaftafell National Park, 2 nights in Seyðisfjörður and the final night at the Radisson Blu in Reykjavik. How about you?

We are staying one night in Skogar, 2 nights in the Skaftafell National Park, 2 nights in Seyðisfjörður and the final night at the Radisson Blu in Reykjavik. How about you?

We are staying at the Hilton and doing day trips.

I started a Roll Call - but there were no replies, you are the only other CC I have found :) we will have to meet and have a drink !

We have stayed at the Hilton a couple of times in Reykjavik. Hope you qualify for the breakfast in their exec lounge as it is very very good! Skyr is outstanding. We actually walked downtown and back from there. Make sure and eat at Icelandic fish and chips.

We have stayed at the Hilton a couple of times in Reykjavik. Hope you qualify for the breakfast in their exec lounge as it is very very good! Skyr is outstanding.

Yes we do ! thanks Rachel.

I started a Roll Call - but there were no replies, you are the only other CC I have found :) we will have to meet and have a drink !

Can I have one too?:)

We stayed at the Hilton on a previous trip; the executive lounge is great for breakfast and evening drinks, and as Rachel mentioned, the restaurant is quite good too.

I am sure you have your day trips set up, but I highly recommend a super-jeep tour and a trip to Thorsmork park. We also rented a car and spent a couple of days driving around the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, which is gorgeous, and rightly dubbed "Iceland in a nutshell" or something like that.

We will look forward to meeting you on board - I don't use cc very often but I don't think it has private messaging?

My husband and I are on the August 25 from Churchill. I didn't ask about the charter from Winnipeg to Churchill, but I did find out that we will arrive in Copenhagen at about 8:45 PM on September 8th. See you in Winnipeg!

Npj57, we are Rachel and George and will be onboard with you. I started a roll call but no one responded. The flight fromwinnipeg to Churchill leaves at 10 am. We are staying at the Winnipeg hilton which is near the airport. Hope to meet you onboard. Look for the petite dark haired lady with tall cowboy husband who is wearing a cowboy hat.

Hi Rachel and NPJ! We got our cold weather gear from our Antarctica trip out of storage over the weekend (we live in So Cal so dont have much use for it generally). I checked weather.com and it does not seem like it is all that cold in Greenland. I am thinking of taking the water proof pants, hat, gloves, a fleece pullover and Wellies. Otherwise just the usual cruise stuff (minus any formalwear!). Anything else that is essential?

NP: where are you staying in Winnipeg?

---------------------

Helen

Hi Rachel and NPJ! We got our cold weather gear from our Antarctica trip out of storage over the weekend (we live in So Cal so dont have much use for it generally). I checked weather.com and it does not seem like it is all that cold in Greenland. I am thinking of taking the water proof pants, hat, gloves, a fleece pullover and Wellies. Otherwise just the usual cruise stuff (minus any formalwear!). Anything else that is essential?

NP: where are you staying in Winnipeg?

---------------------

Helen

We too are staying at the Fairmont in Winnipeg. I am expecting warmer temperatures on this trip than we experienced in Antarctica, which was not all that cold. I am not bringing or renting the knee high neoprene boots that we used previously for wet landings. I am bringing the items Rachel G has listed plus some waterproof hiking shoes that look like high top athletic shoes. I will bring a hooded North Face rain jacket as well. I am most excited to see the Beluga Whales! See you soon. P.s. We are Nanci and Paul

Archived