Ongoing Protests in Istanbul

Thank you so much for your updates. They are quite helpful. If you are able...keep them coming.

I will be traveling to Istanbul in 6 weeks. Happy that you are able to take in the sites.

I am no longer in Istanbul. I am in Bucharest now.

Thanks for your updates. I will be in Turkey in one week. Will come back afterward and post what, if anything, there is to report.

It seems the ships are still going in and the riots are staying mainly in the city and not around the touristy spots which are still declared safe zones so I don't predict a problem.

Happy cruising all. :)

I am no longer in Istanbul. I am in Bucharest now.

I was just going to wish you safe travels...it appears that we may live close to each other in the US..thanks for the updates...we are also due to call on Istanbul on a cruise in late July...we have been there before and are so looking forward to it, but safety first!

Wait and see. It is early days yet.

But, this is an opportunity for you, not a problem. Keep a sharp eye out on the prices and get re-priced if the rates go down.

We have cruised the Med for the past two years and combined them with land trips in Greece and Turkey. The cruise prices were the lowest that we had ever seen so we jumped.

We subsequently found out that the reason for the low prices, besides the economy, was that many North American TA;s were advising clients not to go. This, along with the overblown and somewhat misleading CNN type reports convinced many to stay home.

Turkey is one of our favourite places to travel. Wonderful country, wonderful people. I expect that, like Greece, the demonstrations will be short and confined to a small area.

Looks like the protests are going to continue and get worse!! :cool:

"Turkey's prime minister vows to continue Gezi Park development

Despite mass protests, Recep Tayyip Erdogan to push ahead with construction, saying it will make Istanbul more beautiful"

What's going to be interesting is to see whether Turkey's armed forces intervene in this and remove Erdogan. There's no love lost between them and the current government after a 2010 trial alleging a plot to overthrow the government resulted in several retired officers being sentenced to life imprisonment, and there have been several military coups in Turkey's recent history. An Israeli analyst said yesterday he thinks it's a real possibility: http://investmentwatchblog.com/israeli-expert-says-military-coup-possible-in-turkey/

Has anyone posted about any troubles in Kusadassi? We are leaving next week for a 12 day Greek Isles and that is one of the ports. Thx!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's extremely unlikely there would be any effect on a stop in Kusadasi, a town basically built by and for tourism.

To date there have not been any protests there and I would not expect any -- the protests are in major centers where there are government authorities (e.g., Istanbul, Ankara, even Izmir).

We asked our guide in Kusadasi last week about protests and she replied that they occurred nightly after the cruise ships left. About 300-400 residents go to the town center to chant and bang pots. She said they would continue to do so until the next elections.

We were in Istanbul on the Nieuw Amsterdam on June 1 & 2. The night before we arrived, a letter from the captain was delivered to each stateroom telling us of the protest, where it was located, and encouraged us to avoid that area. Before we left the ship, those warnings were reitterrated verbally during the noon update. There was no sign of disturbance in the Old Town on either day. I spoke to my HAL TA yesterday and he said that the company monitors such situations closely and will make decisions on stops on a day-to-day basis.

Edited by NextOne

This is the update from the U.S. Embassy that I received this morning. I joined the S.T.E.P. program as described in the update:

Embassy of the United States of America

Ankara, Turkey

June 13, 2013

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Threats against U.S. Diplomatic Facilities in Turkey

U.S. Embassy Ankara reminds U.S. citizens that there is a continuing risk of terrorist attacks on U.S. diplomatic, consular, and military facilities in Turkey. The U.S. Embassy has received an increased number of reports indicating terrorist organizations are targeting these facilities. All U.S. diplomatic facilities are open and will continue to operate and provide consular services as normal, in the absence of specific and credible threat information that cannot be otherwise countered.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens and nationals traveling to or residing in Turkey enroll in the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). U.S. citizens and nationals without Internet access may enroll directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Enrolling allows you to receive updated information about locations overseas and makes it easier for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to contact you or your designated contact in case of emergency. We remind U.S. citizens that the U.S. Department of State issued a Travel Alert for Turkey on June 4, 2013.

Current information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or a regular toll line at +1-202-501-4444 for callers from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). You can also stay up to date by bookmarking our Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which contains the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts as well as the Worldwide Caution. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well. Download our free Smart Traveler App, available through iTunes and the Google play market to have travel information at your fingertips.

Contact information for the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Turkey:

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara is located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, tel: (90)(312) 455-5555, fax (90)(312) 468-6131.

The U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul is located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, tel: (90) (212) 335-9000, fax (90) (212) 335-9102.

The U.S. Consulate in Adana is located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana, Turkey. tel: (90)(322) 346-6262, fax (90)(322) 346-7916.

The Consular Agency in Izmir can be reached at tel: (90) (232) 464-8755, fax (90) (232) 464-8916.

I wonder if any cruise ships have cancelled their stops at Istanbul?

This was posted a week ago here on CC:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5387

I monitor most of the boards pretty often and haven't seen anything about cancellations since then....

Edited to add: Apparently an NCL ship called there 2 days ago: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1861012&highlight=istanbul

Edited by cruisemom42

We are arriving in Istanbul by air on July 2 for 3 days, and then on to a cruise down the Danube via Uniworld. Does anyone have any information at all? They have no contact information, will not send out updates, etc. They work through Vacations to Go who say they haven't "heard" anything yet. We don't know what hotel, or where in Istanbul it's located. We booked the whole trip through them. I had enough tear gas as a young demonstrator in the 60's! I don't need it as an old tourist in Turkey!

Thanks so much-

woofie

We are arriving in Istanbul by air on July 2 for 3 days, and then on to a cruise down the Danube via Uniworld. Does anyone have any information at all? They have no contact information, will not send out updates, etc. They work through Vacations to Go who say they haven't "heard" anything yet. We don't know what hotel, or where in Istanbul it's located. We booked the whole trip through them. I had enough tear gas as a young demonstrator in the 60's! I don't need it as an old tourist in Turkey!

Thanks so much-

woofie

If you are on the "Imperial Capitals of Europe" trip with Uniworld, it says right on their website that the hotel is the Crowne Plaza Istanbul -- Old City (or similar).

http://www.uniworld.com/boutique-river-cruises/europe/imperial-capitals-of-europe/2013/highlights/

The good new is that that hotel is not anywhere near the protests at Taksim. The bad news is that it's not THAT conveniently located to Sultanahmet either, but you should easily be able to get a tram there -- again, without going near Taksim.

If that's not your trip, (I just guessed, based on the info you gave) then look at the Uniworld website with the details/itinerary for your trip and they will probably tell you what hotel -- likely it is the same one.

Hello,

I live in istanbul (and join the protests once in a while). The city is absolutely safe. There were no tear-gas thrown in the area of the cruise-port docks since the beginning. The clashes with the police are limited to few areas. I have seen a lot of tourists around the town near clashes and I had an American friend in town for a psychology convention and Al Gore's climate summit this weekend he didnt complain one bit about the security around the city.

The historical section of the town where almost 90% of historical touristic attractions are has seen no action at all.

The only touristic area effected is the Taksim Square which is usually a walk-by spot for tourists not a major attraction. If you have any questions I would gladly answer...

Yes, keep us up to date please. We had a bit of new footage today where the police was power spraying into a hospital with water canons. Apparently the water contains a chemical that burns the skin.

However tonight (here 17th of June) all the footage since June 1 has dissappeared from U-tube, except one that has propoganda against the protesters and in favour of the police. Also the pictures on the U-tube side bar where you normally click into a new film, all contain the same footage and message (from June 1).

It seems that the internet is being monitored. DO NOT LIKE IT ONE BIT THAT THIS IS HAPPENING IN N.Z.:mad:

However tonight (here 17th of June) all the footage since June 1 has dissappeared from U-tube, except one that has propoganda against the protesters and in favour of the police. Also the pictures on the U-tube side bar where you normally click into a new film, all contain the same footage and message (from June 1).

interesting. not to drag this into politics but do you have any links to any videos you cannot see anymore and I'll try and see if i can view them here in Turkey?

My daughter and I will be going to Turkey July 15-19 which will be during Ramadan (July 8 - August 7). I'm wondering if this religious observance will affect the protests. If anyone has any info or thoughts I'd really appreciate it. I am planning on registering up with the State Dept STEP program and our hotel is in the historic district which will be out of the way from where the protests are. We are not doing a cruise...just a mother daughter trip to Turkey and Greece, places that I really enjoyed from my cruise last September.

interesting. not to drag this into politics but do you have any links to any videos you cannot see anymore and I'll try and see if i can view them here in Turkey?

Sorry, I do not know how to do links and the current links that were there before are now all gone. The weird thing was (besides the footage against the protesters) that the pictures on the side bar that looked were new and different kinds of footage, once opened all went back to footage of June 1st from RT:confused: i.e all contained the same message of presenter bringing news what happened June 1st. WHAT IS GOING ON?

And if you are in Turkey, why can't you give us some news? There are a lot of us cruising to Istanbul this year and of course the cruisers here are worried about that, as Istanbul is usually the highlight they pick on that itinerary. But besides that for us that have been there before we are also worried about the Turkish people, because they are well liked and are used to a certain amount of freedom. And if they and us (in assosiation) are getting curtailed on how we are allowed to live, that just freaks me out!

• 2 weeks later...