NZ-Aust. Top World Beaches: CNN Rankings

From the New Zealand Herald in Auckland this morning, they have this headline: "Kiwi sands make CNN top 100 list" with these highlights: "CNN has included Karekare on Auckland's west coast on a list of the world's best beaches. A 40 minutes' drive from downtown Auckland, it is listed at 38 on the top 100 beaches list on CNN's summer travel website. CNN noted the beach was immortalised in Jane Campion's 1993 movie The Piano. The article described 'a grandiose sweep of black sand (that) stretches before bush-clad hills'. 'Karekare tends to be less touristy than nearby Piha. If you prefer a quieter beach, this is the one.' Two other New Zealand beaches made the list - Nelson's Kaiteriteri and Coromandel's Hot Water Beach. Carole Roscoe, owner of the Karekare Beach Lodge, wasn't surprised the beach came in above any other in New Zealand. "I think it has a lot to do with New Zealand's clean, green image. The place itself has no commercial development. What you're looking at is just nature." Mrs Roscoe said part of Karekare's appeal was that it was so close to the city. 'It has that remoteness so close, right at your back door. We are all so caught up with our lives, with traffic, with deadlines, but with Karekare you can just step away from it all.' "

Their top ten best beaches in the world:

1. Grande Anse Beach, Seychelles

2. Rabbit Beach, Italy

3. Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos Islands

4. Anse Source d'Argent, Seychelles

5. Anse de Grande Saline, St Barths

6. Cabbage Beach, Bahamas

7. Wineglass Bay, Tasmania

8. Matira Beach, Bora Bora, Tahiti

9. Champagne Beach, Vanuatu

10. Palaui Island, Philippines

From Australia and nearby, they these have these up there in the world rankings:

11. Whitehaven Beach, Queensland

20. Rarotonga, Cook Islands

33. Margaret River Beach, Western Australia

38. Karekare

44. Bondi Beach, Sydney

46. Natadola Beach, Fiji

68. Kaiteriteri Beach, Nelson

88. Byron Bay, northern NSW

94. Hot Water Beach, Coromandel Peninsula

Reactions?? Anyone been to and/or planning to visit any of these three NZ beaches? Or, below for those in Australia or nearby in the south Pacific? We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going to Auckland doing 14 days on this ship. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. Not sure how much time we'll have for beach adventures. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back.

Full story at:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=10887739

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 6,261 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

(Quote) Their top ten best beaches in the world:

2. Rabbit Beach, Italy

(end quote)

We have been to many of the beaches listed in the top ten and I wouldn't include them in such a list. Probably the exception is Wineglass Bay, but its beauty is best seen from above, either from the air or from the nearby Mt Amos (as I did).

Just off the top of my head I would put Happy Bay, in Cape le Grande National Park, Western Australia and also Ramsay Bay, Hinchibrook Island, Queensland ahead of all those listed in the top ten. I would also put Isle of Pines, New Caledonia in the top ten.:)

Are you a copy and paste member?

Yes Terry,

With this board being for Australians & New Zealanders I think you will find most of us can read the local newspaper and have been to local beaches!

Aquarians

Yes Terry,

With this board being for Australians & New Zealanders I think you will find most of us can read the local newspaper and have been to local beaches!

Aquarians

I think Terry is mainly posting on here for American readers.

I don't think that very many Australians would agree with the CNN list.

Did you not read the bit where he asked if we the people on this AU/NZ board have visited these beaches? and for reactions to the story Which Aus Traveler gave.

Travel Jurnos dont always depict a true picture when they are being paid to write a story on best tourist destinations.

The stories and poles may give a distant traveller a bum steer when deciding on where to go.

Margaret river Beach? Last time I visited Margaret river the closest beach was Preverly Beach about 8 Km from Margaret river!

(Quote) Their top ten best beaches in the world:

2. Rabbit Beach, Italy

(end quote)

We have been to many of the beaches listed in the top ten and I wouldn't include them in such a list. Probably the exception is Wineglass Bay, but its beauty is best seen from above, either from the air or from the nearby Mt Amos (as I did).

Just off the top of my head I would put Happy Bay, in Cape le Grande National Park, Western Australia and also Ramsay Bay, Hinchibrook Island, Queensland ahead of all those listed in the top ten. I would also put Isle of Pines, New Caledonia in the top ten.:)

I would add White Sand beach Koh Samet Thailand to the top ten list .

Not sure how they got their criteria but there are lots of great beaches around Australia - depends on what you want to do, swim, fish, snorkle, beauty (where Wineglass Bay fits). It really is all subjective.

I personally like Durras Beach - cause I grew up swimming their. Bet not many know where that is.:)

Archived