How formal is formal on HAL?

Tapi

My wife and I are packing for our Alaska cruise next week, and my wife is pulling all sorts of outfits for the formal nights, ranging from cocktail looking dresses and pant suits, to Oscars formal gowns.

Our mot recent point of reference is Royal Caribbean and Carnival so that's why we are a bit lost as to what to expect next week (this will be our 1st HAL cruise). :)

BTW, we are in our mid-30's

Thanks for your input!

It is as formal as you want it to be...

At the very minimum......jacket, slacks, dress shirt and tie for men.......slacks and dressy top for women....

Or go all out......just have fun.....!!

Just got off 10 day Eurodam Baltic Cruise, with two formal nights. We ate in the MDR one formal night, Pinnacle Grill the second. MDR, the vast majority of people were dressed very nicely: men in jackets and ties, women in black slacks and dressy tops. A few men in tuxes, one guy in tails (he looked spectacular, btw). A few women were in dresses, the woman with Mr. Tails in a long gown (equally spectacular). The Pinnacle Grill night, every one was very formal, but on top of it being the last formal night, it was also Le Cirque menu night.

On the other hand, I'm puzzled at what a few people consider formal. The formal night we did in MDR, one woman wore a black tracksuit with red pin stripes. Go figure. I'm no prude, but I admit, my jaw dropped at the sight of three twenty-something women wearing dresses more appropriate for clubbing, I would even say, borderline standing on the street corner, selling their wares. They were not turned away from MDR. So, I wouldn't worry too much. Unless you don't want someone to call you out later on Cruise Critic :D

On our recent Westerdam cruise we noticed that folks are not dressing as well as in years past. In fact, there were many on our cruise who not have met the dress code at many work places. However, they were not allowing men without jackets to enter the MDR on formal nights.

Hank

Completed two weeks on the "Z" on 5/25/13 and Formal Night in the Deck 2 Dining Room was jackets OR, shirt and tie as the accepted minimum attire. Fixed Dining on Deck 3 was a split of tux and suits.

Bring a sport jacket and you will be fine.

Does HAL list which nights will be Formal nights on cruises? I am on a 12 day Venice to Venice Aug 7th and would be interested to know before the date of the cruise.:confused::)

Per HAL's website there are two formal nights per week so you should plan on at least 2 formal nights, maybe 3 if they "pro-rate" them ;)

They are usually on the sea days. I did a 17 day cruise and there were 4 formal nights and on a 10 Day seems like we had 3 but that was a Holiday (Christmas and New Year's).

Completed two weeks on the "Z" on 5/25/13 and Formal Night in the Deck 2 Dining Room was jackets OR, shirt and tie as the accepted minimum attire. Fixed Dining on Deck 3 was a split of tux and suits.

Bring a sport jacket and you will be fine.

Add a tie...it doesn't take up any space! And, you'll be "good to go". ;)

Last night was formal night on the Zuiderdam. I wore a black suit, white shirt and tie. My wife wore a blue dress with a light weight sweater and black strap shoes. We ate in the Pinnacle Grill so everyone was dressed similar, except one guy in a polo short and blazer.

If you choose to wear a tux let me share what I do: I have a lightweight tux which I cram into my carry-on. Once aboard I send it out to be dry-cleaned which is actually cheaper on the ship than at home. I get it back the next day for the first formal night. My wife usually does the same with her formal wear.

I'm not sure if my tux has ever been dry-cleaned on land.

We leave Friday for Quebec City for a cruise on the VEendam. Our 16 yr old grandson will be with us. Does he have to wear a coat on formal night?. He has a nice blue shirt and tie. His Mom reads the DOCS as coat necessary. I r ead it as usually. Coats take up so much room; he has to catch a flight out of Boston with only a carryon. We pack light. Need some comment if we show up on formal night with the men in dress shirts and ties. Thanks, Barbara

• 2 weeks later...
We leave Friday for Quebec City for a cruise on the VEendam. Our 16 yr old grandson will be with us. Does he have to wear a coat on formal night?. He has a nice blue shirt and tie. His Mom reads the DOCS as coat necessary. I r ead it as usually. Coats take up so much room; he has to catch a flight out of Boston with only a carryon. We pack light. Need some comment if we show up on formal night with the men in dress shirts and ties. Thanks, Barbara
On our recent cruise we noticed the few men without coats on formal nights pulled aside when entering the MDR. They were leant a coat to wear for dinner.

Does HAL list which nights will be Formal nights on cruises? I am on a 12 day Venice to Venice Aug 7th and would be interested to know before the date of the cruise.:confused::)

You likely will have three formal nights.

If you post your itinerary, we can tell you wish nights will probably be your formal nights.

A jacket and tie is HAL's dress code for formal night. We have seen men turned away if they were not wearing a jacket and we have seen some seated. He will be taking a chance of not being seated if he doesn't have a jacket.

All of us who fly have the same baggage restrictions. We fly out of Boston, too. :) He can wear the jacket on the plane if he doesn't want to pack it.

I doubt very much whether a sixteen year old will be prohibited from entering the MDR on formal evening if he is wearing a shirt, tie, but no jacket.

I would not concern yourself with this. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just go and have a wonderful cruise!

Archived