How much money do we need?

btdmcg13

Ok we are going on our first cruise on carnival sunshine in a couple of weeks. We have prepaid our tips, bought all our excursions and have ordered a bottle of bicardi to our room. After paying all of this, how much per day do you suggest we need? Background... Young couple of honeymooners in late 20s who like a wee drink :-)

the general recommendation is $100 (US) per day per person but obviously it all depends on your budget and what you are comfortable with...port days you won't be spending much on board but on sea days....well, that is when the alcohol adds up! Also, pictures, coffee shop, gifts etc...Since you are in Europe and that is rather port intensive, you probably won't spend as much as you think on board.

Congratulations and have a wonderful cruise!!! I am sure it will be amazing.

Thanks ocruiser. With the wedding we have to be realistic with what we spend. This is our trip of a life time and I don't want to be scrimping, just need to budget for it on my excel worksheet lol :-)

If you have prepaid gratuities and excursions already purchased, I think $150 a day per person is a tad high, but better to have the $$$$ with you, to do or buy what you want rather than to have to forgo it,,,,especially on your honeymoon. On the plus side, what you don't spend you can bring home and you'll have that $$$$ for other things.

Whatever you take, my advice is to take more than you think you will need:) Any extra cash you bring can always go back in the bank when you get home.......

• 2 months later...

Those amounts do seem high since onboard everything will be going on the account. I have budgeted $800 for my private shore excursions and prepaid as many entrance tickets as possible. We have a 3 day stay in Barcelona pre cruise and have the hotel paid. I plan on taking $1200 extra Euros for 2 of us to last 15 days.

Archived