What are your favorite sandals??

I look at sandals with a different perspective as a podiatrist. I understand the good and bad of them. I wear Keen Newport models and I like that that they have a rubber toe guard and can go into the water. These Keens are firm with a lightly cushioned footbed. The arch support is mild, what you would expect in an athletic shoe from Nike, Adidas, etc.

Some people prefer sandals with a high heel and with no ankle strap. Be wary on a rolling ship. Easy to twist your ankle or worse.

Sandals (or open backed shoes) without the ankle straps require the feet and toes to work harder to keep the sandal on. The heel lifts more and slaps down onto the sandal. Also any sandal allows the heel to slide forward and backward as well as side to side and this contributes to some of the hard tissue buildup on the periphery of the heels over time. With the ankle strap as your heel lifts the strap also pulls the sandal up so less work for the foot/toes. Understand that still is not as good as a lace-up shoe.

If you need arch support and want a flip-flop or sandal I would check out Orthaheel. Easy to look up in North America and Europe but I even found them in Curacao. Orthaheels are very firm and may take some getting used to. I don't have arch or pronation problems (typically where the arch collapses and the bottom of the heel tilts outward) but it took me a few days to be comfortable with the Orthaheel and now I really like to wear them.

I also have Crocs including their flip-flops. very cushiony, maybe too much so for some people.

There are plenty of sandals out there. I see people talking about sport ones, casual ones and dress ones. Teva is probably the pioneer of the sport sandal where and athletic shoe bottom (midsole and outersole) is used with the straps/mesh constituting the upper of the shoe.

However I definitely see sandals as a good shoe to bring/wear on any vacation to a sunny/warm climate.

I got these for my last RCL cruise, very casual Sanuk's. :D

They look a bit like a slipper to me...nothing wrong with slippers;)

And how can I forget my back up "cruise feet" formal night shoes... AKA fluid retaining cant put sandals on without making muffin tops over the straps feet :(

ara8e8yv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And how can I forget my back up "cruise feet" formal night shoes... AKA fluid retaining cant put sandals on without making muffin tops over the straps feet :(

ara8e8yv.jpg

Oh, I love these Tom's! I have the sparkly black ones, same style -- so comfy and just plain FUN!

Hi,:) I have tried on a pair or 2 of Tom's......I thought they felt horrible

on my feet (and no, I don't have problem feet) but they were sooooo

flat:eek:......I didn't like how they felt at all:eek:

Keens - Keens - Keens. Venice H2, to be precise.

ara8e8yv.jpg

OMG! Is there somewhere in Halifax I can try this on? A black pair could be the answer to my current shoe problem (i.e. needing shoes to go with my black dress on formal night).

Toms shoes are funny that way -- definitely not for everyone! They are absolutely flat and not much structure at all. More of a "barefoot" feeling.

Oh, I am much happier walking in barefeet than wearing that brand.

I am in the not for me group.

Can't do totally flat shoes, either. I have to put a pair of innersoles with arch support in really flat shoes. I go up a half size and they feel much better.

Can't do totally flat shoes, either. I have to put a pair of innersoles with arch support in really flat shoes. I go up a half size and they feel much better.

Hi:) Oh, I wear flats but not THAT FLAT:eek:...LOL...

I am sooo with you on this, Lois! Besides being uncomfortable, they don't look like anything I'd wear anyway - so I feel no loss. They look like houseshoes/slippers to me - but not any that I'd wear.

tom's are probably fine for spending a little time in them and can make a simple statement on a semi or dressy occasion. they are minimalist shoes. that said they are probably one of the worst shoes made. the construction is basic and the materials are not worth much. as some of you notice they provide no support. if you can take a shoe and fold it in half and put it in your pocket that is not a shoe to spend much time in. additionally when you fold the tom's they don't bend at the ball of the foot. I don't know about you but my foot doesn't bend upward at the arch!

I appreciate and understand tom's policy of donating a shoe to an underdeveloped country for every pair purchased. people will also say that having shoes to wear is better than no shoes at all. I say there are better channels to do your donating instead of letting tom's get the write-off.

I am sooo with you on this, Lois! Besides being uncomfortable, they don't look like anything I'd wear anyway - so I feel no loss. They look like houseshoes/slippers to me - but not any that I'd wear.

Hi Carmen:) good to see you:D

Hi Carmen:) good to see you:D

Good to see you, too, Lois! I'm not on here much anymore. We just got back from Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and the Jackson (Hole), WY area. Serious walking shoes needed there, too! I was one of few in sandals there. Most in serious hiking shoes.

Keens - Keens - Keens. Venice H2, to be precise.

OMG! Is there somewhere in Halifax I can try this on? A black pair could be the answer to my current shoe problem (i.e. needing shoes to go with my black dress on formal night).

Biscuit downtown should have the glitter ones... just check on the Toms.ca site for the other retailers.

I have to say I did buy these on a whim getting a good deal on ebay for them... actually I was bidding on black, navy, red and glitter simultaneously and ended up accidentially bidding higher than I should on the glitter ones and won. You do feel like you're walking flat/barefoot and I typically have to have elevation for my heels (hence all my Dansko sandals) but I can throw these on and wear them all day without a problem go figure!

Archived