Port Everglades and sequestration

porrah

I have been following threads about delays at immigration due to sequestration. Has anybody returned recently? is the situation any better? I have to book our flights soon. A while ago I would have booked a 10.30 am return, but that doesn't seem like a good idea these days. Any thoughts? FYI our return date is Dec 20th which I suspect could be busy with holiday cruises. I am talking about Port Everglades.

We did book a 10:30am flight with United when returning on Nov 16th 2013 TA (Eclipse) as we had no trouble last year. This was before all the problems with disembarking. I phoned United and they said if we missed the plane they would put us on the next one. Not sure if that is true. I am hoping that United has schedule change which will allow me to get out of the reservation (FLL to YYZ).

Ontario Cruiser

I would book a later return just in case. You never know what can happen even on a good day! That way, you won't be stressed getting off the ship in time for your flight. No one needs added stress while getting off a ship....that is stressful enough! :)

10:30? It is really taking a chance to book that early, given everything you know -- sequestration, holiday crush, lack of seats on later flights if you should miss the first one. Sounds like a recipe for stress.

I agree. The absolute worst experience I've ever had disembarking was on a holiday cruise.

The season for Celebrity at Port Everglades ended a few weeks ago and Celebrity, and many other lines, will not return until the Alaska/Europe cruise seasons end next fall. No one knows how the dust will settle on the whole issue of the Sequestration and staffing of the boarder patrol agents at the ports. I would not normally recommend an early flight of 10:30 to anyone anytime at Port Everglades especially not with this uncertainty and especially not within the holiday time period. Only exception is if you had an acceptable back up plan and were willing to bear the costs of a missed flight without worrying about it.

Greetings

Port Everglades customs and immigration was a mess during March. They were very short handed and the lines were very long. Will they be better organized by December, who knows. They have all summer to figure things out, but there is really no telling how things will turn out. And also remember that the government's fiscal year begins 01 Oct, so they will have new budgets. Will the budgets be cut even further? With the uncertainty I think you are taking a big chance trying to get out that early.

Good Sailing

Tom

I think original poster is looking for feedback from those who recently disembarked the ship.

Keith

So do I, which is why I pointed out that the season is over for Celebrity weeks ago. Most of the ships which had been sailing out of Port Everglades moved to other areas of the world in April. No one knows if things will be better or worse when they return in the October to December time frame.

The whole situation is so up in the air that we decided to go with a 4:00 pm flight out of Miami for our cruise in April. Its not the best solution but at least we can relax getting off the ship. :(:(

I have been following threads about delays at immigration due to sequestration. Has anybody returned recently? is the situation any better? I have to book our flights soon. A while ago I would have booked a 10.30 am return, but that doesn't seem like a good idea these days. Any thoughts? FYI our return date is Dec 20th which I suspect could be busy with holiday cruises. I am talking about Port Everglades.

Hi Poorah,

You arent going to read recent posts about Celebrity & Port Everglades, as their ships have departed for the season, and do not return until November / December. At any rate, I'd never attempt a 10:30 am flight. You might make it, but why would you want to end a beautiful vacation on a stressful note ?

I hope you will book a flight after 12 or 1 pm. I hope this helps !

The whole situation is so up in the air that we decided to go with a 4:00 pm flight out of Miami for our cruise in April. Its not the best solution but at least we can relax getting off the ship. :(:(

That is a great way to look at it! :)

We have tried early flights and late flights. For me, I like later flights as then I do not stress out and can relax getting off ship including taking more time to eat breakfast, walk around the upper decks one last time, view the skyline, etc.

Our goal is to try for mid afternoon flights if reasonable in price, if not, go for later in afternoon. Most of the time, we have flights between 1-2 pm

Archived