How Far???

Thanks!!!

I assume there is only 1 terminal in Fort Lauderdale? The itinerary just says the ship terminates in Fort Lauderdale. Is Port Everglades the same as Fort Lauderdale? I am doing a Transatlantic from Southampton . However, I am not flying back to the UK but making my way on Amtrak to New York to sail home on the QM2.

So many questions. :o

Thanks!!!

I assume there is only 1 terminal in Fort Lauderdale? The itinerary just says the ship terminates in Fort Lauderdale. Is Port Everglades the same as Fort Lauderdale? I am doing a Transatlantic from Southampton . However, I am not flying back to the UK but making my way on Amtrak to New York to sail home on the QM2.

So many questions. :o

There is only one seaport in Fort Lauderdale, where your voyage terminates, and it is called Port Everglades.

The Amtrak station is located about 15 minutes from the port and is located off of Broward Blvd and I-95. You can take a taxi from the ship to the Amtrak station. I would guess that the taxi would cost between $20-$25.

There are two Amtrak trains per day that leave Fort Lauderdale. The first train leaves at 9:00 am, which will be too early to catch after disembarkation. However, the second train #92 Silver Star leaves at 12:30 pm. The best part of train travel is that you don't have to be at the train station hours before departure. You can arrive at the train station at least 1/2-hour before departure, and that is plenty of time to get checked-in, especially if you have an e-ticket.

Hope this helps!

There is only one seaport in Fort Lauderdale, where your voyage terminates, and it is called Port Everglades.

The Amtrak station is located about 15 minutes from the port and is located off of Broward Blvd and I-95. You can take a taxi from the ship to the Amtrak station. I would guess that the taxi would cost between $20-$25.

There are two Amtrak trains per day that leave Fort Lauderdale. The first train leaves at 9:00 am, which will be too early to catch after disembarkation. However, the second train #92 Silver Star leaves at 12:30 pm. The best part of train travel is that you don't have to be at the train station hours before departure. You can arrive at the train station at least 1/2-hour before departure, and that is plenty of time to get checked-in, especially if you have an e-ticket.

Hope this helps!

This news comes as a bit of a blow. The QM2 leaves NY the day after we arrive in FL. According to the itinerary the ship arrives in FL at 4.00am. I was hoping to self disembark in order to get the 9.00am train as the later train would get me there too late. It sounds like this is not possible? Have you any experience in what time one can start disembarking?

Bear in mind it is not unusual for long-run Amtrak trains to arrive hours late.

Thanks for the advice. It is all too close for comfort. I am going to have to find a different cruise that allows me more time in the USA. My problem being I am unable/unwilling to fly.

This news comes as a bit of a blow. The QM2 leaves NY the day after we arrive in FL. According to the itinerary the ship arrives in FL at 4.00am. I was hoping to self disembark in order to get the 9.00am train as the later train would get me there too late. It sounds like this is not possible? Have you any experience in what time one can start disembarking?

Just curious...Why do you want to travel by train? If you think train travel is even remotely close to what it is in Europe you're going to be in for a shock. Not only is flying a lot faster, most times it's cheaper than AmTrak.

Just curious...Why do you want to travel by train? If you think train travel is even remotely close to what it is in Europe you're going to be in for a shock. Not only is flying a lot faster, most times it's cheaper than AmTrak.

If I could get on a plane I would but I have a terrible fear of flying. Actually, more than a fear, a phobia.

You have really surprised me in saying how poor US train travel is compared to Europe. I would have thought the reverse. I thought the US were super efficient in (most) things.

If I could get on a plane I would but I have a terrible fear of flying. Actually, more than a fear, a phobia.

You have really surprised me in saying how poor US train travel is compared to Europe. I would have thought the reverse. I thought the US were super efficient in (most) things.

The train system in the US is underfunded -- the distances are too far for many trips (why spend 4 days on a train to get to California when I can fly there in 5 hours? :confused:).

As long as your train to NYC is scheduled to arrive the day before your QM2 departure you should be fine. ;)

Hi,

Can anybody tell me the distance between Fort Lauderdale Cruise Terminal and Fort Lauderdale railway station.

Many thanks!!

Hi there!!! It's been years since we sailed together. So fun to see your name pop up over here on the Fl boards. Hope you have been well.

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned.

As others have said, our trains over here in the US are terrible compared to what you all are used to. It's also unfortunately about a 30 hour trip to NYC via Amtrak from Fort Lauderdale. If you take the later train, you won't make it to NY on time to board your cruise. The morning train would be your only option and that may be very tight for you to catch.

Are there any ships going back from Fort Lauderdale to Miami?

Not sure if you still have my email address but will be happy to give it to you so if you need anything while you are over here in the US you can get in touch.

Good luck planning. Let me know if I can help in any way.

I gotta disagree with John here on funding.

With the exception of densely populated cities or heavily traveled corridors, spending tax dollars on trains is a tremendous waste of money in this country. Unlike most of Europe, America is vast and rural, so the ridership could never come close to justifying the expense of the operation of trains much less the massive, massive cost of purchasing rights-of-way. High speed trains simply cannot run on the same tracks that freight trains and AmTrak do so purchasing land from private owners would be a nightmare as well as court battle after court battle.

The bottom line is, we're not Europe. What works in Europe won't necessarily work in America. Our culture is so much different. America developed a love affair with automobiles and the road to the point of song and romance..

If you ever plan to motor west,

Travel my way, take the highway that is best.

Get your kicks on route sixty-six.

Then Eisenhower came home from Europe impressed with Germany's Autobahn and started our Interstate system. America is simply not going to give up their independence and their cars...

http://photogallery.classiccars.com/#!v=slideshow&g=125&gi=102582&ss=0&ssi=383280&xo=ccn

Hi there!!! It's been years since we sailed together. So fun to see your name pop up over here on the Fl boards. Hope you have been well.

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned.

As others have said, our trains over here in the US are terrible compared to what you all are used to. It's also unfortunately about a 30 hour trip to NYC via Amtrak from Fort Lauderdale. If you take the later train, you won't make it to NY on time to board your cruise. The morning train would be your only option and that may be very tight for you to catch.

Are there any ships going back from Fort Lauderdale to Miami?

Not sure if you still have my email address but will be happy to give it to you so if you need anything while you are over here in the US you can get in touch.

Good luck planning. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Hello Carolyn,

What a nice surprise to hear from you. I certainly remember you and your family and the journey we shared to Berlin (ironically on a super fast train LOL!!) I did the same itinerary the following year but with my daughter and our meet and mingle thread is still going strong after 6+ years. As you can tell by this post I still haven't overcome my fear of flying. I wanted to take the opportunity of sailing on Oasis of the Seas which has a one off TA in October 2014 but by arriving in FL only the day before the QM sails from NY is taking a risk too far by the sounds of it. On to plan B which is also a 1 off TA , getting the new Quantum of the Seas from Europe to the US (Nov 14) which would give me 9 days in the US. Happy to see you are still cruising after your terrible ordeal on the Star Princess.

I gotta disagree with John here on funding.

With the exception of densely populated cities or heavily traveled corridors, spending tax dollars on trains is a tremendous waste of money in this country. Unlike most of Europe, America is vast and rural, so the ridership could never come close to justifying the expense of the operation of trains much less the massive, massive cost of purchasing rights-of-way. High speed trains simply cannot run on the same tracks that freight trains and AmTrak do so purchasing land from private owners would be a nightmare as well as court battle after court battle.

The bottom line is, we're not Europe. What works in Europe won't necessarily work in America. Our culture is so much different. America developed a love affair with automobiles and the road to the point of song and romance..

If you ever plan to motor west,

Travel my way, take the highway that is best.

Get your kicks on route sixty-six.

Then Eisenhower came home from Europe impressed with Germany's Autobahn and started our Interstate system. America is simply not going to give up their independence and their cars...

http://photogallery.classiccars.com/#!v=slideshow&g=125&gi=102582&ss=0&ssi=383280&xo=ccn

I actually agree with you - so I guess my original comment was not clear. :o The US passenger train system is underfunded for a reason - they can't compete with other transportation options give our contry's geography and population distribution. Even where I live express bus service between DC and NYC is very competitive with the trains, even for executive/luxuray travel.

I actually agree with you - so I guess my original comment was not clear. :o The US passenger train system is underfunded for a reason - they can't compete with other transportation options give our contry's geography and population distribution. Even where I live express bus service between DC and NYC is very competitive with the trains, even for executive/luxuray travel.

Again, I gotta disagree with funding of passenger trains. I didn't make it clear they are overfunded and a boondoggle.

You are correct, though, buses are filling the need quite well. They can actually move around where people want to go and there's no need to buy rights-of-way.

Hello Carolyn,

What a nice surprise to hear from you. I certainly remember you and your family and the journey we shared to Berlin (ironically on a super fast train LOL!!) I did the same itinerary the following year but with my daughter and our meet and mingle thread is still going strong after 6+ years. As you can tell by this post I still haven't overcome my fear of flying. I wanted to take the opportunity of sailing on Oasis of the Seas which has a one off TA in October 2014 but by arriving in FL only the day before the QM sails from NY is taking a risk too far by the sounds of it. On to plan B which is also a 1 off TA , getting the new Quantum of the Seas from Europe to the US (Nov 14) which would give me 9 days in the US. Happy to see you are still cruising after your terrible ordeal on the Star Princess.

That is ironic that we traveled together on a super fast train!

We are originally from NY so know the area very well up there as well.

Your new Plan B sounds wonderful. Any help you want on this side, let me know.

Hope all is well with you!

Blackpool, Why don't you stay overnight in Ft. Lauderdale on the day

the ship arrives ?. Then take Amtrak the next morning at 9am.

Don't worry about enjoying the train or not - trains are late / planes are late,

and so on. We have been on Amtrak frequently and get a sleeper for the

overnight trips. We were only late by an hour once.

Sometimes a cow or truck will be on the track and then you may have delays of several hours.

Enjoy, M.A.

P.S. A lot of people do not fly - some with a fear of flying and others with ear canal problems,

clostraphobia (sp) and the like.

Blackpool, Why don't you stay overnight in Ft. Lauderdale on the day

the ship arrives ?. Then take Amtrak the next morning at 9am.

Don't worry about enjoying the train or not - trains are late / planes are late,

and so on. We have been on Amtrak frequently and get a sleeper for the

overnight trips. We were only late by an hour once.

Sometimes a cow or truck will be on the track and then you may have delays of several hours.

Enjoy, M.A.

P.S. A lot of people do not fly - some with a fear of flying and others with ear canal problems,

clostraphobia (sp) and the like.

The ship arrives in FL on the 16th (Oct) and the QM leaves NY on the 17th @ 5pm.

Carolyn... I don't appear to have your e-mail address. Are you on FB?

Archived