Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Quote:

@DMPicone Good eye Derek. Yes, the TV relocation is permanent.

Thanks for the update on this. Good thing I left room for change when I responded to someone here as to what I would guess and then said -

"With RCI though we can never say never as we see how they like to mix things up and keep surprising us".

This is a surprise as no other ship in the fleet has the movie screen in this location.

I don't like the relocation especially now that it's permanent. The way the pool is shaped, the television is off to the side and doesn't provide a straight viewing angle. My guess..... they will reconfigure the lounge chairs so guests can actually see the screen w/o having to turn their heads.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using forums app

According to a thread on the main boards she has an issue and has suspended her sea trials to head to Hamburg for dry docking. Not sure what could be going on but any time a ship returns to dry dock this late is not good. The last I can remember is Liberty (or Freedom, freedom class for sure) that needed a dirty bearing replaced and due to the build cycle at Turku (dry dock already filled) had to do it in Germany after delivery (a few days earlier than scheduled to accommodate it). This does not sound as planned for if true. Needing dry dock means it has to be mechanical and not just installing something else.

Originally Posted by steamboats

Meyer Werft has just released a press release (in German) and confirmed what has been written by an online paper in Bremerhaven:

The Quantum currently is on a sea trial to Norway. On October 19th she´s going to Hamburg into dry dock at Blohm & Voss, dock 17.

They have to adjust something with the bow thrusters and the scrubbers.

It´s still planned to hand the ship over to RCI on October 25th.

Press release:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/de/meyerwerft_de/medien/presseticker/pressemitteilung_detail_18880.jsp

Originally Posted by steamboats

Meyer Werft has just released a press release (in German) and confirmed what has been written by an online paper in Bremerhaven:

The Quantum currently is on a sea trial to Norway. On October 19th she´s going to Hamburg into dry dock at Blohm & Voss, dock 17.

They have to adjust something with the bow thrusters and the scrubbers.

It´s still planned to hand the ship over to RCI on October 25th.

Press release:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/de/meyerwerft_de/medien/presseticker/pressemitteilung_detail_18880.jsp

At least there was another dry dock available relatively close by.

At least there was another dry dock available relatively close by.

It was unforeseen, but Meyer Werft has done such dry docking during sea trials before. Usually it was due to the azipods. The problem with Quantum is, that both the float out and the conveyance were delayed a few days so there was just a short period of time for sea trials and outfitting in Bremerhaven. They have real time pressure now as the ship will officially delivered on Oct. 23. Two days later she will sail to Southampton and do an two night inaugural cruise before the transatlantic cruise.

Btw, Quantum will be the largest cruise ship that has ever been to Hamburg.

It was unforeseen, but Meyer Werft has done such dry docking during sea trials before. Usually it was due to the azipods. The problem with Quantum is, that both the float out and the conveyance were delayed a few days so there was just a short period of time for sea trials and outfitting in Bremerhaven. They have real time pressure now as the ship will officially delivered on Oct. 23. Two days later she will sail to Southampton and do an two night inaugural cruise before the transatlantic cruise.

Btw, Quantum will be the largest cruise ship that has ever been to Hamburg.

Do you know what the specific issue was/is? Did something get damaged during the sea trials or this is an adjustment to equipment/something as a result of findings during the Sea trials?

Do you know what the specific issue was/is? Did something get damaged during the sea trials or this is an adjustment to equipment/something as a result of findings during the Sea trials?

They say they do some settings on the scrubbers and bow thrusters. If there is another issue, I could find out next weekend when I'm back at the ship yard.

RCI PR tweet.

This is what we call a test drive! Quantum of the Seas is off for her second set of sea trials.

Bz09RDaIYAAGQNB.jpg:large

Doesn't that screen looks like it's going to be there permanently?

It does indeed. I notice too that the previously missing satellite antenna is there now...!

Passengers can go on the bow of radiance, voyager, and freedom classes. They're not allowed on Oasis's bow.

The only access to Oasis Bow is during special events. I was on one where it was Platinum and higher welcome back party, and then there other time there may have been too many C&A people because it was sponsored by Concierge and was only for D+ and Suites.

I do enjoy going up to the Bow on the Voyager Class ships and will miss that access on this ship.

I wonder what they will end up doing with the area with the footings from where the TV screen use to be at. It looks like the flooring was completed around it. I wonder if they'll leave the platform there, and put something on it, or just remove it completely, and have the flooring redone. That will be interesting-to me at least for some reason.

I wonder what they will end up doing with the area with the footings from where the TV screen use to be at. It looks like the flooring was completed around it. I wonder if they'll leave the platform there, and put something on it, or just remove it completely, and have the flooring redone. That will be interesting-to me at least for some reason.

Good view - well sort of :eek: - of the area with the footings ...

9c056c7ab8bb1f4fa0bf2d36523ab2d9.jpg

These two USED to have a great view of the screen without having to turn their heads . :D

999ed0f3d8d0b27ec1ab2dfb6cae94a2.jpg

Original set-up:

ec83481cbf369b208b801143e90908d1.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Thanks for all the photos!! It does show nicely how small the main pool area is! Can they actually even get many lounge chairs around the pool area? It looks very tight.

It will be interesting to see how the area with the retractable roof over the pool since they will need desparately need that open space on warm weather days.

Nope, you did not miss any announcement, those are not Disney Characters! They are from DreamWorks Animation's Madagascar! DreamWorks & RCCL have partnered together since around 2011.

I must of missed the announcement. When did RC merge with Disney?

Any word on why the large video screen was moved? I read on another thread that Royal confirmed its a permanent move. Perhaps it was too close to both pools and they were worried about water damage?

It made a nice divide to separate the kids H20 area from the main pool (as is the case on every RCI ship). Now they just flow into one another which could make the only outdoor pool on QUANTUM into one giant kids water park. The area is not that big to begin with.

I hope something is planned to help divide these areas and I would love to know what prompted the move in the first place.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good view - well sort of :eek: - of the area with the footings ...

9c056c7ab8bb1f4fa0bf2d36523ab2d9.jpg

These two USED to have a great view of the screen without having to turn their heads . :D

Original set-up:

OMG, what a shot. It kind of reminds me of my husbands ex-wife. I just hope my husband doesn't get lonely for her. It could become very ugly.

The tv is waterproof or in a waterproof case it does rain or snow on the ship.

That much I figured. I was thinking more of the base of the unit, where there is perhaps a lot of wiring and how close that wave pool is. Perhaps they were concerned the wave pool would generate a lot of standing water at the base of the TV unit and get in there?

I honestly don't know. Just curious as to why the unit was moved. Maybe it has more to do with creating excessive wind in the kids pool while sailing? In any case I'll be sailing on the maiden voyage crossing which will have many of the ship designers onboard. It's a question I can ask during one of their lectures.

That much I figured. I was thinking more of the base of the unit, where there is perhaps a lot of wiring and how close that wave pool is. Perhaps they were concerned the wave pool would generate a lot of standing water at the base of the TV unit and get in there?

I honestly don't know. Just curious as to why the unit was moved. Maybe it has more to do with creating excessive wind in the kids pool while sailing? In any case I'll be sailing on the maiden voyage crossing which will have many of the ship designers onboard. It's a question I can ask during one of their lectures.

That's right! We'll have people on board to ask questions like that! What else do we want to know?

More recent photo of area beyond Michael's Genuine Pub.

27e0ef5cf50f08ea274a3e19b0c9b433.jpg

Why is everything white? I know they have to paint but that cant all be painted. Where is the wooden accents or ceiling designs or something? I really hope they dont try to make it super modern and try to "bring the place to life" with colored lights projected onto the walls.

It's very strange that they moved the screen. Not a great place at all! Perhaps it had something to do with the weight balance of the ship? :confused:

If that's the case, then maybe it has to balance out the huge bear, which is on the opposite side of the ship..

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser