Cabins for the handicapped.

Does RCL allow non-handicapped people to book this category of cabin if it is the only cabin left available?

Yes, but I believe they have to wait until the cruise final payment date has passed.

I was told by a rep that they will open these cabins about 3 weeks out, if they are empty, to the general booking population. I have asked but never come across one though.

We were once given one on a balcony guarantee, even though we objected. We finally accepted it, and I'm glad. It felt like an upgrade.

Yes, but I believe they have to wait until the cruise final payment date has passed.

Nope, actually they don't and I'm with you. I think it's wrong.

RCL's rule on this is that if the category is sold out except for the handicapped cabins, they can be booked by anyone.

Nope, actually they don't and I'm with you. I think it's wrong.

RCL's rule on this is that if the category is sold out except for the handicapped cabins, they can be booked by anyone.

I understand one should not try to cheat the requirements, but I do see where RCCL would want to sell an empty cabin right before sailing rather than lose revenue just on principal.

I tried to argue with our guarantee assignment and the rep said, "Don't worry about it, if someone needs it you'll be asked to vacate." That was fine with me.

I understand one should not try to cheat the requirements, but I do see where RCCL would want to sell an empty cabin right before sailing rather than lose revenue just on principal.

I tried to argue with our guarantee assignment and the rep said, "Don't worry about it, if someone needs it you'll be asked to vacate." That was fine with me.

right before sailing (60 days) is ok with me, but if there are only handicapped cabins left, they can be booked by anyone no matter how far away the cruise is.

Re: Booking of Accessible Handicap Cabins : For any cruise departing from a USA Port RCCL has to abide by the Federal Regulation/Law under the Department of Transportation that went into on January 1, 2012 . Cruise lines must now verify that a person occupying the accessible cabin has a medical and or physical disability that requires the need for the features in that room.

The law was implemented to prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space)

As a result the cruise lines :

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under this new law the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past at which time the cruise line can release all unsold HC cabins for sale to the general public .

It's also important to note that when booking an HC cabin prior to the final payment date, RCCL requires certification that one of the occupants has a medical and or physical disability and needs the features of the accessible cabin. If found to have falsely certify the need for such a cabin , RCCL has the right to move the person to another cabin... and no RCCL does not have to upgrade to another category.

We just booked last week for a 5 day on Explorer with guaranteed balcony upgrade.

Yesterday I looked to see if they had put us in a cabin, and they put us in a handicap accessible. I called right away to make sure this was correct even thought we didn't need one and they said yes, it was fine. So I am assuming we will have it. We did not request it, RCI just put us there.

Re: Booking of Accessible Handicap Cabins : For any cruise departing from a USA Port RCCL has to abide by the Federal Regulation/Law under the Department of Transportation that went into on January 1, 2012 . Cruise lines must now verify that a person occupying the accessible cabin has a medical and or physical disability that requires the need for the features in that room.

The law was implemented to prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space)

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under this new law the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past at which time the cruise line can release all unsold HC cabins for sale to the general public .

It's also important to note that when booking an HC cabin prior to the final payment date, RCCL requires certification that one of the occupants has a medical and or physical disability and needs the features of the accessible cabin. If found to have falsely certify the need for such a cabin , RCCL has the right to move the person to another cabin... and no RCCL does not have to upgrade to another category.

The RCI ship is leaving from Southampton. Do these rules still apply?

A person in our group needs an accessible cabin and they were asked by RCI to fill out and submit a disability verification form. There were clear penalties for fraud and the certification process described above was followed.

In 2008 we booked a guarantee inside on the Explorer holiday sailing 12 nighter out of Bayonne for a very reasonable price, 30 days from the sailing. A week later, with less then 21 days to go, we were assigned a HC accessible cabin on deck 11. Almost as big as a JS.

Even with the new rules, this appeared to be legal.

The RCI ship is leaving from Southampton. Do these rules still apply?

No the USA Federal Law that I sited in my previous post does NOT apply to any cruise leaving from a USA Port. Please refer to the first sentence of my previous post which states:

"Re: Booking of Accessible Handicap Cabins :
For any cruise
departing from a USA Port
RCCL has to abide by the Federal Regulation/Law under the Department of Transportation that went into on January 1, 2012 "

However the EU implemented a regulation that went into effect on December 18, 2012 which you should familiarize yourself with since England ( Southampton) is part of the EU. Here's the link http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5088

This is not meant to sound intentionally snippy but apparently you did not read or possibly understand the very first sentence in my previous post which stated :

"Re: Booking of Accessible Handicap Cabins :
For any cruise
departing from a USA Port
RCCL has to abide by the Federal Regulation/Law under the Department of Transportation that went into on January 1, 2012 "

Given that the RCCL ship is leaving from Southampton the USA Federal Regulation sited in my previous post does NOT apply since the ship is departing from a NON-USA Port.

Conflicting statements from yourself and Ashland.

Yes..regardless of where you're sailing from.

Actually the USA Federal regulation that I stated in my previous post does NOT apply regardless of the port of embarkation. It only applies to cruises originally embarking from a USA Port.

However since BLACKPOOLE BELLE specifically asked:

"The RCI ship is leaving from Southampton. Do these rules still apply?"

there is a EU Regulation that went into effect back on December 18, 2012 that does apply to cruises departing from Southhampton. Here's the link http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5088

We just booked last week for a 5 day on Explorer with guaranteed balcony upgrade.

Yesterday I looked to see if they had put us in a cabin, and they put us in a handicap accessible. I called right away to make sure this was correct even thought we didn't need one and they said yes, it was fine. So I am assuming we will have it. We did not request it, RCI just put us there.

You are fine, you will like the extra space and the walk in shower. The balcony is quite large also.

If you didn't take the cabin they would give it to someone else.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jimbo:)

Conflicting statements from yourself and Ashland.

I was apparently in the process of updating post #14 while you were in the process of replying. Therefore suggest you go back an read my post #14 and #16 for clarification.

I was apparently in the process of updating post #14 while you were in the process of replying. Therefore suggest you go back an read my post #14 and #16 for clarification.

Thank you for the link which I will just stick to reading as I have no interest whatsoever in US law.

Archived