Australian SLANG words for our Overseas visitors!

There is another branch of "Strine" which has been hardly mentioned and that is our Rhyming slang. I believe it originates from Cockney London. There are many examples but two that immediately come to mind are "plates of meat" (feet) and "dog and bone" (telephone)

John

I have a friend from brisbane. He is a complete bogan. It always amuses me when he drinks and starts rambling on using various aussie terms. Also when you ask him to do something he always replies "meh! Can't be bothered." He is a lazy bogan :)

wot eva.:D

There is another branch of "Strine" which has been hardly mentioned and that is our Rhyming slang. I believe it originates from Cockney London. There are many examples but two that immediately come to mind are "plates of meat" (feet) and "dog and bone" (telephone)

John

Please read post #54:D

Very funny thread , for the cringers, I am sure the Americans and other foreigners can detect the humorous nature of some of these posts.

Seriously Pushka, you don't know what this means, use your imagination. You have obviously spent some time ...far...away from here

This is very funny, I think I understand about a quarter of these sentences. On ya Mate:)

Butchers Hook= Look. so Butchers = look, Whistle and Flute = Suit, so Whistle = Suit, Aunty Maud = Bald so Aunty = Bald, Gregory peck = Neck, so Greg = Neck, syrup of Fig = Wig so Syrup = Wig.

Its quite easy to decipher instantly once you know the slang system has no rules:D

One of my favorites is "Taters" meaning its cold!

Taters = potatoes so "Taters New or Taters Old" Cold:D

Edited by fishtaco

Seriously Pushka, you don't know what this means, use your imagination. You have obviously spent some time ...far...away from here

So I ended up googling it. Um, ok, it isn't part of my vocab and I have never heard anyone use it. Not the Oath part anyway.

I also hate rhyming language too. Just stupid.

Edited by Pushka

So I ended up googling it. Um, ok, it isn't part of my vocab and I have never heard anyone use it. Not the Oath part anyway.

OK Puska, we are obviously going to have to spell it out to you....

Far Ken Oath. Now say it quickly 3 times :-)

PS - I am from SA and also went to school with him (Ken that is) :)

Edited by Organised

What about those islanders who just make clicking sounds as their native language? Pretty stupid to me but I dont know what they are saying either which is the whole idea;) :)

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Not one to cruise, at least not yet, but I do need some help with some Aussie slang. One of the characters I'm writing in my book speaks in a broken Canadian/Aussie language. I'm wondering if there is a colorful word for "murder" or "suspicious circumstances that lead to murder", the same way we might say "there's been foul play". Any help is greatly appreciated and I apoligize if I'm hijacking the thread :o

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Not one to cruise, at least not yet, but I do need some help with some Aussie slang. One of the characters I'm writing in my book speaks in a broken Canadian/Aussie language. I'm wondering if there is a colorful word for "murder" or "suspicious circumstances that lead to murder", the same way we might say "there's been foul play". Any help is greatly appreciated and I apoligize if I'm hijacking the thread :o

Welcome to cruise critic.:D

Killing someone may be reffered to as "zap", "waste" or "turn into pink mist".

I will have a look for you and see if I can find something more colourful.

Perhaps "Give someone the rough end of a pineapple".

Edited by MicCanberra

Hi all,

Something's Crook,generally = something is wrong.

"did him in" = killed him

I'll have a nut on it and see what I can think of.

Hi all,

He's pushing up daises coz some bugger topped him.

Hi all. "getting the rough end of the pineapple" has a certain poetry to it, don't you think? Here's the sentences I'm working on:

"They fished the body out yesterday morning. A friend of mine on the force said there may have been foul play."

This is in direct relation to a body that washes up on the beach and seems to be a death by drowning. FYI: the character speaking is meant to be funny, so weird and wacky ways of saying this are more than welcome.

Hi all. "getting the rough end of the pineapple" has a certain poetry to it, don't you think? Here's the sentences I'm working on:

"They fished the body out yesterday morning. A friend of mine on the force said there may have been foul play."

This is in direct relation to a body that washes up on the beach and seems to be a death by drowning. FYI: the character speaking is meant to be funny, so weird and wacky ways of saying this are more than welcome.

'Looks like he got the rough end of a pineapple' may work well, another could be 'Looks dodgy'.

If he's an Aussie there are also two words starting with B that he really needs to throw in

One refers to something with blood on it and ends in "Y".

The other refers to a person conceived out of wedlock and should be used to address his friend ie "Aw you b..." and his enemy "You rotten b..." If you want to clean things up a tad even leave it as "B" it was once common to do so in mixed company.

I think to be able to speak Strine you just need to shorten a word and then add a vowel.

Garbo - rubbish man

Servo - petrol station

Bottleo - liquor store

etc etc

And make sure your tone goes up at the end of each sentence as well.

Of course Kiwis don't have an accent or have any different ways of saying things lol

I think to be able to speak Strine you just need to shorten a word and then add a vowel.

Garbo - rubbish man

Servo - petrol station

Bottleo - liquor store

etc etc

Of course Kiwis don't have an accent or have any different ways of saying things lol

Thanks for chupping in, bro:p

Nah! "the rough end of the pineapple" means that you have got a raw deal - nothing to do with being murdered.

If I found somebody that appears to have been murdered - but I don't really know - I would say " Looks to me like he's been got at! "

Barry

Garbo - rubbish man

Servo - petrol station

Bottleo - liquor store

etc etc

What I don't understand is why Kiwis can only count to five then get sidetracked by sex

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Sex

then head off for a feed of fush and chups, whatever that is.

"Looks like he's been topped - and at a rough guess, wasn't much of a swimmer - breathing in when he should have been breathing out - that would help to make him cactus"