Venice - Rising Sea Levels

Islandgirl4242

Last night we watched a very interesting HBO documentary on global warming and rising sea levels. The show (VICE) took viewers to both the Maldive Islands and also to Venice. The mayor of Venice was interviewed and he reported that the city now floods over 100 days per year and the problems this is causing for residents, those with businesses in the city, and tourists. Maybe not a bad idea to include Wellies in our suitcase! Very sad...very eye opening. ~~Judy

I was in Venice last November a few days after the floods. Prior to flying to Europe I saw pictures of people wading thru St Marks Sq. We were plenty nervous but I emailed the hotel and the water had receded. We were prepared to purchase the disposable rain boots just to get around (they look like big trash bags that tie around your legs). Venice is beautiful but it has been an issue for years.

In Venice it is called Aqua Alta (High Water) and it has been happening in Venice for hundreds of years (highest in recent years 1964 6 ft (2 meters). Aqua Alta is something that Venice is prepared for and it is expected. As you walk around Venice you see barriers at doors to protect from flooding. They have elevated walkways and boots and high shoe covers available to purchase. Depending on moon cycle and tides water is expected to come up at certain times. There have been plans to build barriers to help protect Venice but as yet nothing has been built.

When I was in Venice 2 years ago 2"-3" of water would come up in the middle of St. Marks Square in the evening for a few hours. Last fall I saw photos of people sort of swimming in St. Marks Square it must have been 18"-20".

I was there for Carnival in February and my last night there not only did it snow most of the day but then there was aqua alta at midnight. From about 9PM you could see the water getting higher and I had to walk in 3"-4" of water from my vaporetto stop to my hotel. I went out again at the high point about 10" and you could not see the edge of land at the Rialto Bridge. The next morning it was all gone and back to normal and you would never know it had happened.

In Venice it is called Aqua Alta (High Water) and it has been happening in Venice for hundreds of years (highest in recent years 1964 6 ft (2 meters). Aqua Alta is something that Venice is prepared for and it is expected. As you walk around Venice you see barriers at doors to protect from flooding. They have elevated walkways and boots and high shoe covers available to purchase. Depending on moon cycle and tides water is expected to come up at certain times. There have been plans to build barriers to help protect Venice but as yet nothing has been built.

When I was in Venice 2 years ago 2"-3" of water would come up in the middle of St. Marks Square in the evening for a few hours. Last fall I saw photos of people sort of swimming in St. Marks Square it must have been 18"-20".

I was there for Carnival in February and my last night there not only did it snow most of the day but then there was aqua alta at midnight. From about 9PM you could see the water getting higher and I had to walk in 3"-4" of water from my vaporetto stop to my hotel. I went out again at the high point about 10" and you could not see the edge of land at the Rialto Bridge. The next morning it was all gone and back to normal and you would never know it had happened.

Actually, construction for a novel system to prevent serious flooding was begun several years ago -- called the MOSE project -- and the base of the first barrier has now been completed. You could see some of the work that had been done (and was ongoing) when I was there last month. It's a very interesting engineering project and you can read more about it here:

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/hydraulics-civil-engineering/56319-venice-tide-barrier-project/

I'm not sure the system is meant to be used to stop the "acqua alta" (which Venetians generally use to refer to the several inches of tidal water that are a regular seasonal occurrence). But they are meant to ward off a serious flood like the one mentioned above that occurred in the 1960s.

Yes, the Aqua Alta and the general sinking of Venice have been ongoing problems for the city. But what this documentary was showing is that the addition of global warming/higher sea levels are exacerbating the problems. The current estimate of over 100 days per year with flooding is not to be taken lightly. The film stated something like what is a novelty for tourist is not so for residents and those trying to make a living in Venice. My heart goes out to any city or country in this situation. And in Venice transporting luggage during the flooding can't be much fun for tourists. ~~Judy

Archived