Best time to go to Mediterranean

I am thinking of booking a Mediterranean cruise possible the Greek isles. Never being to this part of the world I thought I would ask some of the experienced world travelers on this board : when is the best time as far as weather goes? Also I know it's all opinion but which Mediterranean cruise would you recommend for someone that pretty much has never been anywhere except the Caribbean (too many times if that is possible).

It can be very hot in July, August and early September, it is also the school break and prices are high.

June is usually ok and late September. May cn be hit or miss but just off the Navigator and the temp was between 60 and 70

For ancient sites, Italy, Greece and Turkey have the best for a first visit.

Word of advice which ever cruise or cruise line you pick make sure at least one port is NOT in the EU. This will save you additional charges of VAT (a tax) of between 8 and 20 % onboard.

Also the duty free shops at the ports and onboard will not be open if it stays in EU waters.

Venice, Turkey, Athens, Dubrodnic and Santorini.

Rome, Naples are the main for sites

hope it helps g

We just went in May and it was pretty good for a Phoenix girl who likes it warm. We did carry jackets in the early morning and evening. The evenings were into the upper 40's and the days in the 70-80 range. Nice! There were not a lot of children either.

We went on our first cruise to Europe this past June...early part of the month. The temperatures were fine for us, but we're from the South, where heat and humidity is something we're accustomed to. In fact, I used a light jacket a couple of evenings, even in Rome. We started from Civitavecchia (Rome) and spent a few days in Rome prior to the cruise and an additional day/night in Rome before flying back home. It was wonderful. We enjoyed it so much that we are about to book another European cruise that will take us to a few different ports! I don't think you can go wrong!

I am thinking of booking a Mediterranean cruise possible the Greek isles. Never being to this part of the world I thought I would ask some of the experienced world travelers on this board : when is the best time as far as weather goes? Also I know it's all opinion but which Mediterranean cruise would you recommend for someone that pretty much has never been anywhere except the Caribbean (too many times if that is possible).

I recommend Sunday :o !

Another vote for late September/early October for the best odds on weather :)

Personally, I'd recommend a 12 night Serenade cruise out of Barcelona that hits some of the Western Med and some of the East as well--a very nice sampling for your first time over here :)

I recommend Sunday :o !

Me, too :p!

June is really good as the weather is already warm but not hot. And school holidays have not started yet. The prices are also ok. July/August it's expensive and crowded.

We went in June and the weather was outstanding.

I would suggest late September or even October. We did eastern med in November. The weather was fine for touring and seeing sites (a little chilly for beach time -- that's not us anyway). But some things were starting to close for the winter so I would go a bit earlier the next time.

I think we all agree not to go in summer! We did mid October two years ago, leaving from Barcelona. It was great - we had awesome weather. We are doing mid-May next year, and I think it may be chilly but that rainy season should be over. I second the motion - try Western Med -Barcelona, Rome, Florence, Naples, etc.

If you are concentrating on the ports further south and east, May and November work out very well. If you want to include Croatia or more northernly ports of Italy November is iffy. October is a rainy month for some of the Med ports. If you are looking more west and north -- Late May and the first two weeks of June as well as the first two weeks of September tend to be great.

I like the near off season -- everything is open, but crowds are smaller. Whether is good for travelling (not too hot, not cold)

Archived