Boston to Bermuda in October?

Hi All - Family is looking at the Dawn on the 10/25 sailing. They have been twice before, last year in September. The price drops dramatically for this sailing....i have to assume theres some downside to cruising this week. Riugh oceans? Temps? Anybody been so late before?

Hi All - Family is looking at the Dawn on the 10/25 sailing. They have been twice before, last year in September. The price drops dramatically for this sailing....i have to assume theres some downside to cruising this week. Riugh oceans? Temps? Anybody been so late before?

I'm sure it's beautiful as the other poster said. The downside is the Atlantic hurricane season. We are hesitant to travel in October as our area is prone to fall hurricanes and flooding. Sometimes they pass offshore and near Bermuda.

Since 1950 there have been 6 hurricanes that hit Florida and 1 that hit North and South Carolina. That's it, 6 since 1950, pretty low odds. Available records online if you like to look.

Any time of the year can have a storm, the main reason for lower prices is off season and kids in school. Go have fun, warm weather and smooth seas.

Since 1950 there have been 6 hurricanes that hit Florida and 1 that hit North and South Carolina. That's it, 6 since 1950, pretty low odds. Available records online if you like to look.

Any time of the year can have a storm, the main reason for lower prices is off season and kids in school. Go have fun, warm weather and smooth seas.

Your statistics are completely wrong. There have been 15 major hurricanes to hit Florida since 1950.

There have been seven hurricanes Category 2 or higher to hit Florida since 2004. Four hurricanes hit Florida in 2004 alone (Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne). There have been 58 named sub-tropical and tropical storms to hit Florida since 2000.

I don't know where you got your statistics, but they are wrong.

With that being said Hurrican season goes from June 1, through November 1, and there are thousands of people cruising on hundreds of ships during that period each year between the Carribean and Maine. There is always a slight chance your vaction will end up not going exactly as planned, either because of rerouting or delays, but if everyone chose not to sail during those periods there would be a lot of empty ships traveling on calm seas most of the time.

Not sure where those figures come from but would be glad to look at them. We have flooded four times since 2003. Three were named hurricanes, some of which have diminished to tropical storm status by the time they hit shore which may account for the statistics you cite. Nine feet of water was in my backyard with Hurricane Isabel in 2003 which went from a Category 3 offshore to tropical storm when it hit us. In addition to those four storms that flooded our garage, several others (Floyd, Ernesto for two) flooded the yard and shed while the worst passed offshore. In the 80s Hurricane Gloria passed offshore doing some damage onshore. All of these occurred from the last week in August to the end of October.

I'm not saying don't go....just be prepared that a change in course/port can happen during hurricane season and the season is most likely the reason for lower fares. Kids are in school in the winter while ships go to Caribbean so I doubt that is the reason. Fall is hurricane season in both the Caribbean and Atlantic.

Good luck!

I tried late October last year, but the cruise never made to Bermuda due to Hurricane Sandy.

I figured we couldn't get a bad storm in 2012 like Snowtober 2011 two years in a row, right?

We tried to do Bermuda in September 2011 and got re-routed to the Bahamas due to a hurricane. I say still book it - best case scenario you will make it to Bermuda. Worse case you will go to Bahamas instead.

I say book it. A cruise to anywhere is better than no cruise. Please leave the ship clean and orderly for the next cruise on the dawn 11/1/13. We will be on that one for their 14night Caribbean repo cruise.

Your statistics are completely wrong. There have been 15 major hurricanes to hit Florida since 1950.

There have been seven hurricanes Category 2 or higher to hit Florida since 2004. Four hurricanes hit Florida in 2004 alone (Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne). There have been 58 named sub-tropical and tropical storms to hit Florida since 2000.

I don't know where you got your statistics, but they are wrong.

With that being said Hurrican season goes from June 1, through November 1, and there are thousands of people cruising on hundreds of ships during that period each year between the Carribean and Maine. There is always a slight chance your vaction will end up not going exactly as planned, either because of rerouting or delays, but if everyone chose not to sail during those periods there would be a lot of empty ships traveling on calm seas most of the time.

Please reread! The OP asked about October. The only six October hurricanes were the ones listed. There were others that were Gulf Coast, but that's not the question. Google is free and your friend. October from Boston to Bermuda is pretty low odds of hurricanes.

Good luck!

I tried late October last year, but the cruise never made to Bermuda due to Hurricane Sandy.

I figured we couldn't get a bad storm in 2012 like Snowtober 2011 two years in a row, right?

We were on the Gem returning to NY from Bermuda and docked the morning after "Snowtober" had hit. OP: this was late Oct. 2011. It had been gorgeous in Bermuda, perfect temps for walking around in shorts, and low humidity. It was our first time there, and I couldn't imagine being there when it was hotter or more humid. After that season, NCL stopped sailing that late in Oct. to Bermuda from NY, which is too bad, because this fits our work schedule really well and it was a good time to travel.

Yes, it was a wild ride that last night at sea with the Nor'easter blowing, but you can have bad weather anytime. (I happen to love it when the ship is moving around like that, but I realize I'm in the minority. :))

We have gone to Bermuda in October for over a decade. Out of all those times maybe 3 or 4 times were a little hairy. Hairy in that we were either fleeing Boston ahead of a storm or fleeing Bermuda ahead of a storm or skirting wilder weather. We've been waved off to Nassau once but other times, as others have said, the cruise is fine if a little choppy at the start. It is always an adventure and if the weather is really awful they have just gone north up to Maine/Canada. Which is another lovely cruise...only not so warm. But always fun. Take the chance. :cool: margretha

My favorite time to cruise is late Oct/early Nov. We have fortunately yet to be rerouted.

We do understand that this is always a possibility, and for us, it's not a big deal as we cruise for the cruise more than the destination. I'd risk it.

I have been to Bermuda 3x. each time in September. We did have some rough seas (due to hurricane) on one of those cruises but we still made it there and had gorgeous weather while in Bermuda. I imagine October is still a nice time to go.

I hope you have a great cruise with blue skies and calm seas :)

Archived