Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

I'm happy with having an inside cabin too, but as I mentioned earlier, being on Deck 2, I'm now worried about engine noise.

Would love to hear from anyone who might be able to put my mind at ease?

:)

eryery quiet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

hi

just back from a med cruise on "serenade of the seas" had a inside cabin (3071) on deck 3. perfectly satisfactory (for us) very quiet & never heard any engine noise. would book one again.

cheers

harold

We've had all cabin sizes and have a few rules about the type that we get:

1. If we're with a lot of people, we book an inside cabin as we're usually only in the cabin to sleep.

2. If we are alone but going to a colder climate (Canada, Baltic, to Bahamas from NY in the winter), inside cabin

3. If we will have only one day or less at sea, inside cabin

Otherwise, we'll get either an outside with a window or balcony.

I find the cabin sizes similar (I have never felt like I'm in a closet) and my husband loves the darkness of an inside cabin and sleeps like a baby. Balconies can be disappointingly small with cheap chairs!

Hope that helps.

Yes, I also like booking inside cabins. I know they are small but, When you spend most of your time in other areas of the ship, they make sense to me.

I have bought other cabin categories, and find them really nice. I guess it depends on the timing of the voyage and the itinerary.

all the best on your cruise adventure. It sounds wonderful!

I love inside cabins when not cruising locations that part of the cruise is a scenic tour i.e. Inside Passage, Alaska.

I like to be able to sleep till whenever I wake up (I'm on vacation) if it is light I am awake.

The only time I am in my cabin is when I am sleeping or showering, why waste the money on a cabin I won't be in when I can spend it on excursions and shopping!

I don't ever get the lower decks though, I generally book 8-11th deck. Watched Titanic to many times.

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship. :D

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

We only do insides. I would like to try a balcony at some point, but it's a splurge I don't care to pay for right now. I would rather put the extra $ towards another cruise.

We think of it this way, the only time we spend in our cabin is to sleep and change. Both of which we can do easily in even the very smallest inside cabins. While looking at the ocean is nice, there are so many other quiet spots you can find to just sit and ocean watch that are free instead of paying the balcony premium. I do also like how dark it is, makes it very easy to sleep, but an alarm is a must or you could sleep your whole cruise away.

I must admit, I am anxious to see what our virtual balcony (inside stateroom) on the Quantum will be like......

We don't mind inside cabins at all. It really comes down to what we budget for a vacation. I'd hate to settle for a shorter cruise just to get a good cheap rate on a balcony. But I am looking forward to those balcony days when my wife and I are 'empty nesters'. :)

Like most everyone else, I prefer the balcony when I can afford it, if for no other reason than to have a private space to enjoy the view, breakfast, leaving ports, quality time with the wife and a cocktail or two after dinner.

Having said that, we are doing an inside cabin on our next cruise on the Oasis in October. I had always said when I do Oasis it's going to be with an ocean view balcony. I got tired of waiting for the price to come down to my level and with three of us to pay for, three flights accross the country and pre-cruise expenses I decided we had waited long enough and convinced everyone, including myself, we had to settle for an inside cabin.

What we saved on the price difference was enough to pay for two of the flights (and I also had one free one) so that made me very happy. Since we do a lot of vacationing, we will usually find ways to cut unecessary costs on one trip in order to be able to afford going on the next one. Others who don't vacation as much prefer to live it up on the few they do go on.

Our friends who are going with us went with the Central Park balcony so I will be curious to see if the additional cost would have been worth it, I just tend to prefer the Ocean View.

We'll find out in about 100 days if we made the right choice or not.

I enjoy any cabin. That being said, I have stayed in 7 insides, 2 OV's, and 2 balconys. Of those cruises I paid for one, oh to be young, so naturally I prefered the balcony. The one cruise I did pay for was a, you guessed it, inside! As a second year out of college adult with a wedding to pay for, I cannot afford the cabin of my dreams, yet ;) So last year my new fiance and myself took a short 3 day cruise (his very first) to the Bahamas in a wonderfully quiet and dark inside room. I had no problem with, especially as Hurrican Sandy roared outside! We are going on a 4 day journey across the Gulf this November and I sneekingly booking a balcony as a surprise (but I love waking up early and reading myself), although he surprised me by inviting ten other people... Our honeymoon however was a carefully selected balcony, the coveted #9256 on Jewel! Short cruises = inside

Long cruies = balcony

Dreams = suites!

I stayed in an outside cabin on my first cruise and was really sea sick, couldn't look out the window. Have booked an inside cabin for my subsequent cruises and been fine. :)

I stayed in an outside cabin on my first cruise and was really sea sick, couldn't look out the window. Have booked an inside cabin for my subsequent cruises and been fine. :)

??? Can you look out at the sea when you are out on deck?

I always thought I would be a balcony snob forever. In fact I wouldn't cruise unless I was booked in a Jr. Suite or above. Until an unscheduled, last minute cruise on another line forced me to choose an ocean view cabin (no balconies were left). That is when I realized that I could actually cruise in a cabin that had a window with no balcony :eek:.

We even found ourselves spending less time in our cabin (because we didn't have a balcony) and more time doing things around the ship.

Now for my Feb 2014 cruise I have a huge family ocean view cabin at the very front of the ship. We are above the Bridge so we will what the Captain's see.

This has me saving over 750 per person which I can easily live with this savings ;). That $1500 savings is already going towards another cruise.

Of course there will be no Diamond Discount but I can live with that too.

The small size is the biggest problem, otherwise I wouldn't mind it too badly. It's certainly way cheaper. I've done 9 cruises. All but one were balcony. Our last one (NCL Jade) was just an outside porthole. I thought that was OK because it had like 20 sf more than an inside cabin.

One tip: split the beds in two. You get more useful room that way. In an inside room or an oceanview (no balcony), the bed(s) are usually centered on the back wall. This leaves two small slivers of floorspace on either side that's totally unusable. All you have is from the end of the bed to the door, which isn't much.

But split the beds against each wall and the space in the center becomes very useful, and the room "feels" much bigger.

For Alaska, however, I would make sure to get a balcony. That's the only cruise we really used the balcony a lot. On open ocean/sea cruises, it's a rarely-used luxury. But on an Alaska cruise, you spend most of your time in the Inside Passage where there's beautiful land to see on both sides, and wildlife in the water that may appear at any time. We saw many humpback whales, a pod of like 50 dolphins, and a pod of 3 orca whales come right up to the side of the ship. And eagles flying right by.

You also spend an hour or two parked next to a glacier. The top decks get mobbed with people. Just stay on your balcony -- they turn the ship halfway through so both sides get 30 minutes of viewing.

We had an inside on the Rhapsody - 3069 and it was a little noisy with what sounded like things being moved around above us - but we were under the R-Lounge. It's an older ship & there were little creaks & groans that we didn't notice on newer ships. Lets face it, if you go for the lowest categories of an inside you probably will hear some noise because that's why it is a lower rated category i.e. an F or G as opposed to an A or B.

Bring some ear plugs and you'll be fine. I usually go for the very affordable inside cabin rate. Sprung the extra $150 for an OV in the Mediterranean and an extra $100 for a balcony on a caribbean. Always take the highest category that you can afford and if that's an inside, so what - its not going to make or break the enjoyment of the cruise unless you are one of those people that can't be pleased no matter what. I would rather have more money to spend in port on excursions or other extras.

Nope, I'd rather not cruise than have an inside cabin.

Too dark, too small and no windows isn't something I can "live" in. Even for a short trip.

While we've never spent that much time in a room, we still sleep, shower, and get ready for our day and evening in it. That's at least 9-10 hours a day for us.

I need space, light and at least a window or I'd start to go nuts...

Well, I am super new at cruising, in fact this is my first post at Cruise Critic; but I enjoyed my inside cabin, just with a tiny night light the darkness at night was fixed. It was not so little, slightly smaller than our home, deck 2 on Pullmantur Monarch, really quiet and tranquile, and we were worried about engine noise but couldn´t hear anything. Also was great to not get sea sick being out first cruise.

We got married on the ship, and they decorated the cabin in a super cute way.

Anyways, I guess I would only book insides or a balcony, portholes seem so expensive for a tiny window, and many windows are on noisy decks.

Edited by aledelreal

Well, I am super new at cruising, in fact this is my first post at Cruise Critic; but I enjoyed my inside cabin, just with a tiny night light the darkness at night was fixed. It was not so little, slightly smaller than our home, deck 2 on Pullmantur Monarch, really quiet and tranquile, and we were worried about engine noise but couldn´t hear anything. Also was great to not get sea sick being out first cruise.

We got married on the ship, and they decorated the cabin in a super cute way.

Anyways, I guess I would only book insides or a balcony, portholes seem so expensive for a tiny window, and many windows are on noisy decks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. We miss our favorite ship, hope she is doing well!:)

No you are not the only one who likes it.

I am not sure if ALL inside rooms have the same size, but the ones I booked in my last cruise were not smaller than balcony ones at least in my deck (num. 10)

I spend a very very short time inside the cabin during the day so I wouldn't pay extra money to look at the sea, I love enjoying the cruise and all the activities they offer, I like to have breakfast in Windjammer as well so... your choice in my opinion is right ;)

We've cruised in all categories, from suites to an inside. There are two reasons we have used an inside. Cost. We sometimes cruise three times a year. Generally the third one is an insider because we have pretty much maxed out our vacation bucks already for the year. The most important for us, when choosing an insider is that it's proximity to being outside is close, i.e., a promenade or pool deck, Lido deck. I need to know I can slip outside within 50-100 ft. to check on the weather and location at sea. Use of spa package will also help.:D

We've only cruised twice so far. We had an inside on a 10 day to Alaska on Sea Princess and it was SMALL. Not all inside cabins are created the same. Looking at deck plans there may well have been larger inside cabins. We did fine in the small room and were happy to have a cabin near to the one our son had booked.

We had a balcony on a 15 day to Hawaii on Star Princess and loved it. The room was bigger and we really enjoyed the balcony.

If I was to sail on the new Royal I'd book an inside. The balconies are tiny and not much use.

I think it sometimes depends on the ship, the itinerary, and the location of the inside room.

My son ONLY books an inside. He sails solo and has a handicapped room. He could afford a balcony or ocean view (or a mini suite) but he doesn't want the light when he's sleeping. He stays up late and parties and sleeps in late.

On our first cruise I quickly learned to leave the TV on and tuned to the bridge cam so I could tell when the sun came up. If I woke up and the screen was dark I knew it was still night. I didn't have a nightlight for the bathroom on that trip but it was my first cruise. I didn't know any better. I now have a nice (but not bright) nightlight so waking up in the pitch black night in an inside cabin wouldn't really be much of an issue.

Our next cruise is only 4 days and I booked an aft, corner balcony on Caribe deck. Very sweet. :D

If I have the choice to cruise in an inside cabin or not cruise at all I would JUMP on the chance to cruise. I love the ship and the sea days. A spiffier room is nice but not necessary.

On my last cruise, I kept my IPhone next to me and if I needed to get up during the night, I just turned that on and that was enough light to get me to where I wanted to go without stubbing my toe. There is also the flashlight app if I needed more light. I always forget a night light.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app