Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

My 90 year old mother has long had a much-needed handicap placard. Now that she no longer drives, unless I can't manage otherwise, I always drop her off in front of where we need to be, unload her wheelchair, help her into it and roll her in a nice shady spot or otherwise comfortable area, and then park in a regular spot. When it's time to go home, I reverse the process.

So many handicapped people struggle mightily - and many of them are of that stoic age and generation where they won't demand that which we as society have set aside for them. Elderly husbands and wives helping one another through waning years of health and life are deeply touching to witness. Most people try to ensure that their special accommodations are readily available and never begrudge those extras.

I think it's crappy for an able bodied person to book a handicapped room, not to mention show off about it, even if the rules technically say one may do so. Furthermore, if any friend of mine suggested doing so, I would seriously rethink my relationship with that person. But maybe that's just me. And Nanci and Nightone.

Robinola, you might want to watch your karma.

For us, it's not a matter of the size really and it certainly isn't the romance (divorced an on a cruise with daughters and family) but I love just sitting quietly on the balcony watching the sea. Whether it's early in the morning or late at night, I LOVE IT. I love hearing the sound of us swishing through the water, I love the breeze on the balcony. I love feeling on the balcony. We did a last minute cruise 2 years ago and all they had was an inside. It was still a cruise and I loved it, but I missed my balcony....but JMO.

This what I've been trying to say,there is no "feeling" in an inside..there is no breeze in an inside..there is certainly no hearing the waves swishing in an inside...all that wonderful stuff shows there is no "connection" to the sea...it is a cabin with 4 walls..if you are not excited EVERY time you open your cabin door, you are missing out on a great feeling....Debj14 also said what I've felt: "we don't live in a closet, so why would we vacation in one?" Also, it's much easier to give opinions if you've stayed in all 4 catagories:inside, outside window, balcony, & suites ( including Jr. or mini-suites..)...we have stayed in all four catagories on our 28 cruises...all thoughts here have had merit- naturally if some cruise either alone or with a friend/friends, you may choose an inside or window....when we were in a 119 SF inside on the Majesty Of The Seas, I knocked over my tiny wife 5-6 times in the cabin because it was so tight..we also realized we couldn't get dressed for dinner at the same time- too cramped..so, one was in the shower/ bathroom, while other person dressed in the cabin...don't forget getting into your bathing suits and going to the pool deck on a sea day, and find out it's pouring rain!! We felt like such idiots ( and must've looked like idiots since we were the only ones near the entrance to the pool deck in suits!! LOL..)...

Starsong- another thing my father would say in a restaurant was "don't order roast chicken in a nice restaurant- we eat chicken all the time, don't we? Order something different, something you don't always eat at home..don't be so pedestrian..." I was 15 or so then..since then, I have never ordered chicken ( except chicken parmigiana in Italian places) since then..steak, fish, lobster, shrimp..yes, roast chicken, no..you'll like this: when I was 16 I worked in a movie theater 5 nights a week over summer months to make a little (very little ) $$. On my night off ( Sat. ), what did I do? I took my girfriend TO THE MOVIES because we got in free, even though I had already seen the movie 20 times that week! He said, "that is so stupid- that's like the postman on his day off, he takes a walk!!"

Don't go the movies if you work at the movie theater..don't take a walk on your day off, if that's what you do for work- treat yourself and try different cruises, different types of cabins,different ports of call, etc...once again, I asked earlier in one of my posts: would you book a hotel room without a window? If I was shown a room without a window at a hotel, I woudn't be very happy...so, we are like Debj14 now- if we can't afford a balcony, we don't cruise..we save & save until we can..BTW, all that stuff about the connection to the sea? It may not matter to some people that they are feeling the sea & seeing it from their balcony,but to us, it's essential to the cruise experience...balconies are like cruising-their addictive!!Just my HO & thoughts on this matter...

Big Al

My question genuinely was concerning the advantages and disadvantages of an inside cabin, not what I can afford or not afford, what choices I have or not have.

If you read your original post this isn't what you asked. You queried if you were the only ones that liked an inside cabin and said you would love to hear what others think. I think you certainly got what you asked.

As for the other poster who queried why people saw fit to give their views at such length and why they tried to put a case for their own preference it is because this is a public forum for people to post their views and get answers to their questions. I think the forums are wonderful both from an educational point of view and from an entertainment one as well.

Keep them coming!

yes more the merrier.

This what I've been trying to say,there is no "feeling" in an inside..there is no breeze in an inside..there is certainly no hearing the waves swishing in an inside...all that wonderful stuff shows there is no "connection" to the sea...it is a cabin with 4 walls..if you are not excited EVERY time you open your cabin door, you are missing out on a great feeling....Debj14 also said what I've felt: "we don't live in a closet, so why would we vacation in one?" Also, it's much easier to give opinions if you've stayed in all 4 catagories:inside, outside window, balcony, & suites ( including Jr. or mini-suites..)...we have stayed in all four catagories on our 28 cruises...all thoughts here have had merit- naturally if some cruise either alone or with a friend/friends, you may choose an inside or window....when we were in a 119 SF inside on the Majesty Of The Seas, I knocked over my tiny wife 5-6 times in the cabin because it was so tight..we also realized we couldn't get dressed for dinner at the same time- too cramped..so, one was in the shower/ bathroom, while other person dressed in the cabin...don't forget getting into your bathing suits and going to the pool deck on a sea day, and find out it's pouring rain!! We felt like such idiots ( and must've looked like idiots since we were the only ones near the entrance to the pool deck in suits!! LOL..)...

Starsong- another thing my father would say in a restaurant was "don't order roast chicken in a nice restaurant- we eat chicken all the time, don't we? Order something different, something you don't always eat at home..don't be so pedestrian..." I was 15 or so then..since then, I have never ordered chicken ( except chicken parmigiana in Italian places) since then..steak, fish, lobster, shrimp..yes, roast chicken, no..you'll like this: when I was 16 I worked in a movie theater 5 nights a week over summer months to make a little (very little ) $$. On my night off ( Sat. ), what did I do? I took my girfriend TO THE MOVIES because we got in free, even though I had already seen the movie 20 times that week! He said, "that is so stupid- that's like the postman on his day off, he takes a walk!!"

Don't go the movies if you work at the movie theater..don't take a walk on your day off, if that's what you do for work- treat yourself and try different cruises, different types of cabins,different ports of call, etc...once again, I asked earlier in one of my posts: would you book a hotel room without a window? If I was shown a room without a window at a hotel, I woudn't be very happy...so, we are like Debj14 now- if we can't afford a balcony, we don't cruise..we save & save until we can..BTW, all that stuff about the connection to the sea? It may not matter to some people that they are feeling the sea & seeing it from their balcony,but to us, it's essential to the cruise experience...balconies are like cruising-their addictive!!Just my HO & thoughts on this matter...

Big Al

Big Al

Absolutely loved your post!! :)

Do not worry about engine noise on the lower decks unless you plan on cruising on an old transatlantic ocean liner. We have cruised many times on decks 2 and 3 as well as the upper decks and have yet to see a difference. The only noise you might en****er would be toward the front or aft during docking procedures or during heavy weather.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I also use the handicap stall in public restrooms WHEN THERE IS NO ONE ELSE IN LINE! Why let it go to waste.....it's just so roomy in there!

OK, I get it now. Sorry everybody. Didn't realize I was feeding the trolls. :eek:

We enjoy balcony cabins but don't think they are worth spending a lot on. If we can get a good deal where we can upgrade at little or no cost, we'll get a balcony. We just don't spend enough time in the room to justify spending a lot on it.

Thanks!! I go to the UK all the time...friends with a famous UK rock band..love your country!! Cheers....

Big Al

And I bet you are welcome all the time with your attitude :D staying in Fort Lauderdale in Pillars Hotel as this was the one which looked the most special and certainly look forward to the beautiful weather in December in Florida before our cruise ;)

Do not worry about engine noise on the lower decks unless you plan on cruising on an old transatlantic ocean liner. We have cruised many times on decks 2 and 3 as well as the upper decks and have yet to see a difference. The only noise you might en****er would be toward the front or aft during docking procedures or during heavy weather.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

good to know.

And I would care about you and your silly opinion because?????????? :cool:

Also, WHERE does it say in my cruise contract that I cannot put a wet towel and/or shirt on my chair on the balcony. Last time I looked, they actually PROVIDED towels for our lounge chairs on the balcony. Who are you the balcony police? You really need to take a chill pill :)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

Page 7

I am not the balcony police. I *AM* someone how finds people who think they are more special than everyone else annoying.

You are saying you can make your own rules because you know better.

We left some towels out there (completely secured BTW) once, our stateroom attendant pointed out that we weren't allowed to do that and we haven't done it since. We aren't above the rules. We aren't more entitled than everyone else. Our bad.

I understand that feeling entitled to make your own rules is the "new normal" but that doesn't make it right.

We've had 3 balcony cabins on all of our cruises. We did not use the balcony that much. Most of our cruises have been inside, and once we got upgraded to an ocean view. Many talk about how nice it is to have coffee on the balcony, but we find it to be quite windy on sea days. And we have had smokers next to use on all 3 balconies. A couple times on port days the ship washed the balconies, so we could not use it for a while then. So, we book inside cabins, and go to the Viking Crown during the day where we can watch both sides of the ship plus the pool area. Plus, we can cruise 3 cruise inside cabins for the price of 2 balcony cabins (including any diamond discount).

Edited by Jimnbigd

I've cruised monstly in interiors with a few exceptions like my Alaska and Hawaii cruises. I've had a few ocean views too. But I don't mind interiors. They are like caves for an afternoon nap with the air cranked down low. It's great sleeping!

We have booked a South Pacific cruise on Rhapsody in February 2014, and we will be on the bottom deck, inside cabins, 2537 and 2539. I know the cabins will be small, they are basically the cheapest cabins on the ship.

But I would really love to know if I'm the only one who actually likes the idea of an inside cabin: no sunshine streaming in during the early hours, a bit quieter (hopefully), and no looking at the swell (I'm very prone to sea-sickness).

Love to hear what others think.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We've sailed in all kinds of cabins. I like the insides as I can sleep like a rock. I just turn on the TV to the bridge cam This way you can see where you are and daylight. Another inside alternative is a PR cabin on the newer RCCL ships. They are an inside, but with a window overlooking the Promenade. We've been in 7 so far and have another one booked for Halloween on the Freedom.

Joe

I better have 2 cruises in an inside cabin, than 1 cruise in a balcony cabin. I am only in the cabin to sleep or taking a bath. I think the size is fine.

I have been staying 4 times on deck 2 (once in a porthole cabin - I almost did not use the porthole window, as in port I thougt that people could look into my cabin). 1 time at deck 8 (promenade cabin - you have to have the curtain on, if you turn on the light, else the cabins on the other side will have a live show), and 1 time on deck 10 (inside cabin, we could hear some noice from the Windjammer, then people were dragging the chairs). I have never never had any noise problem on deck 2! I have been through a tough storm in a deck 2 midship cabin, and we did not feel much movement, while people in balcony cabins were awake most of the night, then the waves came into their balconies.

Well I have not tried a balcony cabin, maybee I will get convinced, but so far I feel fine about an inside cabin.

We've sailed in all kinds of cabins. I like the insides as I can sleep like a rock. I just turn on the TV to the bridge cam This way you can see where you are and daylight. Another inside alternative is a PR cabin on the newer RCCL ships. They are an inside, but with a window overlooking the Promenade. We've been in 7 so far and have another one booked for Halloween on the Freedom.

Joe

will have to give them a go.

Perhaps one can afford a balcony cabin but PREFERS a different option.

Marci

That was an ....... statement wasn't it? I mean Caribbean Sailor.

If everyone wanted a balcony ... . :eek:

Edited by WetToes