Live on Board the Riviera 6/6/2013

surfyachtie

Yes, well if your standard for the staff is that they should just telepathically "know what you want", then I don't wonder that the service isn't quite up to your specifications.

Is this a spoof?

Jim and Stan my standard is nor for the staff to telepathically know what I want far from it. I believe most bar staff understand what they are paid to do it isn't rocket science. Im not sure what you mean by spoof but if it means that I am posting untruthful comments that would be a shame. I would also add here that my original post was a note (observation) nothing more. I have had fantastic service ever since wherever I have been and so have my friends and I am more than happy to note that as well

Would you tell me what brand of pinot grigio is on the drinks package? Thank you!

I don't believe that Pinot Grigio is one of those wines which Oceania constantly pours by the glass, therefore it may or may not be included in the Package(s) when you sail. They seem to try to offer wines of local interest, so a great deal depends on where the ship is.

The last time that we saw a 'Grigio on the Bar Menu, it was a Borgo Maddalena '09, but on our last cruise a 2011 Argillae Orvieto was offered instead, and no Pinot Grigio was offered in the Package.

Do they have a sauvignon blanc then? Don't really care much for chardonnay.

From the Oceania website's wine list, it appears that there are 2 Sauvignon Blancs available by the glass...(not sure if this is accurate or not as the list may not be up-to-date)

Nobilo Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Silverado Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley, California

Do they have a sauvignon blanc then? Don't really care much for chardonnay.

Yes, they usually do, but to quote a popular Cruise Critic quote, "Your mileage may vary".

In 2010 they were pouring a California Sauvignon Blanc from the Pepi Winery, and more recently it was a Walker Bay South African.

Interestingly, the price per glass decreased by fifty cents over that period of two years.

Of course, if you sign up for the Package, then the price would not be of concern to you, and who knows, you may get lucky on the Pinot Grigio front.

Yes, well if your standard for the staff is that they should just telepathically "know what you want", then I don't wonder that the service isn't quite up to your specifications.

Is this a spoof?

Would you tell me what brand of pinot grigio is on the drinks package? Thank you!

Linda the brand of the pinot grigio is Danzante

surfyachtie,

On a cruise line like Oceania service is one of the most important components of the product so your analogy does not hold water.

Wripro deary me. In Oceanias case the ship is the product (ie Mercedes) and the service is the servicing of that product.Just like tsking your Mercededes to the dealership and getting the oil changed and they don't do the job to your satisfaction. In this case if there was something wrong with Riviera I would expect Oceania to take her back to the shipyard and complain!

Wripro deary me. In Oceanias case the ship is the product (ie Mercedes) and the service is the servicing of that product.Just like tsking your Mercededes to the dealership and getting the oil changed and they don't do the job to your satisfaction. In this case if there was something wrong with Riviera I would expect Oceania to take her back to the shipyard and complain!

I'm sorry, but Wripro is unquestionably 100% correct.

For the car analogy to work you would have to be chartering a furnished but un-staffed Riviera.

135427.jpg

In reality, when you bought into the Cruise, you bargained for being transported, fed, lodged and entertained on the ship, as well as benefiting from the ancillary shore-side services (porterage etc) that Oceania provides when the ship is in port.

I'm sorry, but Wripro is unquestionably 100% correct.

For the car analogy to work you would have to be chartering a furnished but un-staffed Riviera.

135427.jpg

In reality, when you bought into the Cruise, you bargained for being transported, fed, lodged and entertained on the ship, as well as benefiting from the ancillary shore-side services (porterage etc) that Oceania provides when the ship is in port.

In my analogy the ship is the car. It is how the car is used that is the service. Ie it could be as a limousine and therefore if the limousine service was not right perhaps I would not use it again.

Anyway this will go in in circles if I continue so I will wave the white flag in deference to the powers to be!

Thank you! Yes, I'm surprised at the Pinot brand as well!

As mentioned in another thread you can view a sample wine list under the MENU section on O website

They list wine by the bottle & by the glass

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/default.aspx

subject to change on any given cruise I would suspect

That's why I do not believe the alcohol packages are worthwhile, unless you consume a lot of spirits every day and/or don't mind drinking low-end wines by the glass. Because of the packages, they do not offer any good wines by the glass at any of the restaurants.

As mentioned in another thread you can view a sample wine list under the MENU section on O website

They list wine by the bottle & by the glass

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/default.aspx

subject to change on any given cruise I would suspect

This may have flown under your radar, Lyn, as you are not much of a drinker, but those "Sample Lists" on the Web Site stray so far from what is actually carried on the ships that I no longer even refer to them.

It's one of those Catch 22 situations, Oceania wants the Cellar Masters to have some autonomy in order to improve quality and selection, but that makes standardization much more complicated.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjaG4OCLQw7RzwZ9dGQlfkhMrpGmKAL1bmFjo4t0U6921Yz8NoYE9Z06KoAh, the tribulations of inebriation!

That's why I do not believe the alcohol packages are worthwhile, unless you consume a lot of spirits every day and/or don't mind drinking low-end wines by the glass. Because of the packages, they do not offer any good wines by the glass at any of the restaurants.

Based on the wine list available from Oceania's website which I guess is not up-to-date, the bargain basement Danzante Pinot Grigio is not actually available by-the-glass...

The Argentinian Lurton brother's Pinot Gris is...Bodega Piedra Negra Pinot Gris, Uco Valley, Argentina

Similarly "bargain-basement brand", I guess...:p

This may have flown under your radar, Lyn, as you are not much of a drinker, but those "Sample Lists" on the Web Site stray so far from what is actually carried on the ships that I no longer even refer to them.

It's one of those Catch 22 situations, Oceania wants the Cellar Masters to have some autonomy in order to improve quality and selection, but that makes standardization much more complicated.

Ah, the tribulations of inebriation!

Thanks Jim

I was giving the link as to what MAY be onboard

Since I do usually drink Merlot or Perrier Jouet my peon palate is not as fine tuned as others ;)

Like others have noted just bring the wines you prefer & you will not be disappointed

Lyn

surfyachtie,

Okay, let;s take this in a different direction, You check into the George V in Paris. The hotel is gorgeous. You love your room. But no one cleans it. No one waits on you in Le Cinq. No one opens the door for you upon entering and exiting. It takes an hour to check out. But the hotel is simply gorgeous. You do nothing because service is not part of the product for which you are paying so dearly?

If the OP has a problem with the service or products on board it is their opinion, I do not think it services much of point to try to convince them they are wrong. After all they are on the ship now and your points might be years old.

If the OP has a problem with the service or products on board it is their opinion, I do not think it services much of point to try to convince them they are wrong. After all they are on the ship now and your points might be years old.

I do wish that you would re-read the Posts that you comment on before making disparaging comments about them. :(

As it happens, not one single Post in this thread ever contested Surfyachties' opinion of the service that he received.

The controversy came about because of Surftachties opinion that if Service is not up to his standards, then he would rather just walk away from the Line than take the trouble of reporting the problem (voting with his wallet was the way that he phrased it).

surfyachtie,

Okay, let;s take this in a different direction, You check into the George V in Paris. The hotel is gorgeous. You love your room. But no one cleans it. No one waits on you in Le Cinq. No one opens the door for you upon entering and exiting. It takes an hour to check out. But the hotel is simply gorgeous. You do nothing because service is not part of the product for which you are paying so dearly?

Wripro here we go again. If that was offered as you refer then there would be no doubt that I have not been given what I would presumed I had paid for. And again why should I return if that was in fact what I did pay for. On the other hand if I had relied on the opinion of the cruise critic members in this forum would I be better off? Doubtful.

I do wish that you would re-read the Posts that you comment on before making disparaging comments about them. :(

As it happens, not one single Post in this thread ever contested Surfyachties' opinion of the service that he received.

The controversy came about because of Surftachties opinion that if Service is not up to his standards, then he would rather just walk away from the Line than take the trouble of reporting the problem (voting with his wallet was the way that he phrased it).

Ahem Jim and Stan

There is no controversy from my side of things. I merely would have wished to convey my observations without the commentary from cc members at all as I have found most of it to be unhelpful and biased. As my OP indicated it was only me offering my experience to the forum but I was not requesting advice. After all this is called Cruise Critic is it not? I have been wasting my time trying to respond to the bias rather than enjoying myself on the cruise!

Hypercafe thanks for the vote of confidence that is exactly right!

On the Marina as I write. On our way to Oslo. Service, by my observation is more than I would want. Want a drink without the problems mentioned. Each evening my DW and I frequent the Horizon lounge. We do have the premium drink offer, not that it makes a difference other an cost savings for us.;)

The lounge is almost empty most of the time from 7 to 9. How does one have issues with the lack of service? The other bars are about the same. In the GDR tonight the wine never stopped flowing. Wife had for dinner the Chefs Degestutaion(sp) menu with wine suggestions. Each course was served with the wine, together. No waiting, food hot, or cold as ordered. The room was rather full but I did not notice a lack of service through out. Maybe we are more patient than others. This is our second cruise with Oceania. Sailed with Marinas' sister ship last November on a TA. We also have sailed on another of the other luxury lines. Now there is a toss up between O and sister R. Non the less, another wonderful cruise in the making. Enjoy what you are able to do and a lot of others cannot. Your cruising, seeing the world, in the lap of luxurgy. What else could you ask for, besides a full glass.;)

Archived