Connecting Room To Suite - Perks

Thinking about trying RCL again for our family of four on Oasis. In the past we have all shared a suite but this time we are thinking of trying something different. We are planning on a Grand Suite with a connecting cabin. My wife and I would be booked in the GS while the two kids would be booked in the connecting cabin. Would my children be allowed in the Concierge Lounge since they would not have a gold card? I understand they serve breakfast there. Would the kids not be allowed to join us? Also on the private beach for suite guests, would the kids be allowed to be there with us?

With no Gold card there is no entrance to the Concierge Lounge. However, since it concerns your children, you can ask the concierge if they may join you and I expect he will allow it. Same with the beach question.

officially no. anyone not staying in a suite or not D+/pinnacle in their own right may NOT access the CL.

the concierge might allow it, but might not, due to projected pax on board who are entitled to access

Thinking about trying RCL again for our family of four on Oasis. In the past we have all shared a suite but this time we are thinking of trying something different. We are planning on a Grand Suite with a connecting cabin. My wife and I would be booked in the GS while the two kids would be booked in the connecting cabin. Would my children be allowed in the Concierge Lounge since they would not have a gold card? I understand they serve breakfast there. Would the kids not be allowed to join us? Also on the private beach for suite guests, would the kids be allowed to be there with us?

I can let you know about this, specific to Oasis after my July 13 cruise as we have this same arrangement booked. With the exception of the beach as we are doing eastern. We are a party of 5, and I put our oldest in the GS because she is 21, and most apt to take advantage of the CL over her two younger sisters. I am assuming when it comes to check in we will do both rooms at the suite area, and wait together to board in the suite waiting area too. I can't see this being an issue as they are only 8 & 16.

Did this on Allure this past December. Had a Grand Suite with connecting stateroom. No one blinked an eye even ONCE as long as one of the adults in the grand suite used their sea pass to access the lounge. We booked cabanas on Labadee as well and enjoyed with no problem. This extended to special seating at shows in the theater as well. As long as you scan/show your sea pass card first, the children with you are included in the access. At least that was our experience on Allure and in Labadee. ENJOY!!!

I can let you know about this, specific to Oasis after my July 13 cruise as we have this same arrangement booked. With the exception of the beach as we are doing eastern. We are a party of 5, and I put our oldest in the GS because she is 21, and most apt to take advantage of the CL over her two younger sisters. I am assuming when it comes to check in we will do both rooms at the suite area, and wait together to board in the suite waiting area too. I can't see this being an issue as they are only 8 & 16.

Yes, we all boarded together through the suite guest check-in areas as well. You will not be separated.

Yes, we all boarded together through the suite guest check-in areas as well. You will not be separated.

Thanks, I kind of thought it wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't make sense to send the kids off on their own, nice as it might be once in a while! :D

Thanks to everyone for their responses and thanks Nanci in advance for letting me know how it turns out after your cruise in July. All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Based on our past cruises, my kids being 11 and 13, I doubt they'll want to be in the CL that much, I do want them to be able to come with us if we decide to have breakfast there or just want to stop by to relax for a bit. Also I want all of us to be able to use the private beach in Labadee.

While all your responses make me more confident this will not be a problem, I just wish I could get some sort of assurance from RCL that this is okay before committing. Hate last minute surprises.

Did this on Allure this past December. Had a Grand Suite with connecting stateroom. No one blinked an eye even ONCE as long as one of the adults in the grand suite used their sea pass to access the lounge. We booked cabanas on Labadee as well and enjoyed with no problem. This extended to special seating at shows in the theater as well. As long as you scan/show your sea pass card first, the children with you are included in the access. At least that was our experience on Allure and in Labadee. ENJOY!!!

Good to know!! We just booked a GS connected to a D on the Oasis. It's good to know that our children can go with us to the CL if they want. They are also D+:):), that might help too!!

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to contact RCCL with this question by email instead of calling since I would prefer to have something in writing. Here is what I wrote to web_reservations@rccl.com , the address I was given to use if I had any questions.

"We are planning for an upcoming cruise in October. In the past, my wife and two children (11 and 13) all shared one suite. This cruise we are planning on a suite with a connected balcony room for the kids. My only concern with this is whether the children will be able to join us on the suite only beach and will we be able to be all together if we decide to sit in the reserved suite seating in the theater or at the pool. Would we all be able to eat breakfast or lunch in the Concierge Lounge? Thanks in advance"

That was sent on 6/15, 5 days ago. So far no response other than to say they received the message.

Do they respond to emails or is it just that I haven't given them enough time? You would think they would answer faster than this. Guess I'll keep waiting patiently.

If I may make a suggestion. E-mail direct to the concierge of the ship you want the answer from.

Our experience is that the concierge has control of his/her lounge and they want to please their customer if able. They have gold cards keyed to the lounge door in their desk and pocket. Let them know your request and you will know before you go if it will be an issue. It never has for us or many we know.

The card is a blank card with no name on it just to open the lounge door. If they say no you can be sure they have a reason.

That sounded like a great idea until I checked the current concierges. If I'm reading it right, it looks like neither of the two current concierges (Oasis) will be there when we cruise. Also, I don't understand why RCCL cannot answer this question. I would think that this has been a common problem in the past since they offer a connecting cabin to a suite and would have some sort of policy regarding it.

Thanks for the suggestion......

A few years ago we a family of 6 looked at booking a owners suite with a joining junior suite on the Radiance.Our TA rang Royal and was told No to any one staying in the junior suite to getting any of the suite perks and it didn't matter if it was your children staying in the cabin or not. We change to 2 grand suite next to each other.

That doesn't seem like RCCL treated you fairly since it was a connected cabin but if that is their policy then so be it. Hope to find out differently when/if they respond so we can make a decision. That is one of the reasons I want to get it in writing. If you call them one agent may say fine, another may say no.

That doesn't seem like RCCL treated you fairly since it was a connected cabin but if that is their policy then so be it. Hope to find out differently when/if they respond so we can make a decision. That is one of the reasons I want to get it in writing. If you call them one agent may say fine, another may say no.

We asked that question back in 2011 "why make the 2 rooms connecting then" and we were told "it was so large families or groups could stay together." So we then asked "in that case why can't the ones staying in the junior suite sit with us in the theater etc if rooms are connected so families can be together "

We only got the same junior suites do not get Suite Perks response.

But I hope they have changed their policy.For when the rooms are sold together as connecting rooms everyone should get treated to the same perks. And if they have getting it in writing is a very good idea.

Your best bet is to email the concierge on the Oasis 1 week prior to sailing. They will not answer your emails sooner as they are taking care of their current guests onboard. No matter what answer RCI may give you, the concierge on each ship has the final word.

Your best bet is to email the concierge on the Oasis 1 week prior to sailing. They will not answer your emails sooner as they are taking care of their current guests onboard. No matter what answer RCI may give you, the concierge on each ship has the final word.

The only problem with that is the current concierges are not the ones who will be there when we sail. So even if they would say yes, there's no guarantee that the new concierge would say yes. I would think that something like this is a policy matter and should be decided by RCCL. However that may not be true.

The concierge will only have direct control over the lounge. They may be able to reach out to crew on the ship regarding the reserved seating and Labadee. They usually are able to help suite guests with reasonable requests.

As far as connecting rooms not having the same perks, bottom line is the connecting room is not a suite. I have a feeling the "line" being drawn would have to do with as suite perks have evolved, the "connecting" part wasn't considered. Yes it is less revenue from you to Royal if you all stay in one suite but they also have another room to sell at 1/2 person rates so more revenue to Royal in total.

Archived