Must See Greek Ports

ShawninFL

If you had to pick 4 ports in the Greek Isles as must see and do not miss, which would they be and why?

A little about me. I'm 41. I love history and visiting ruins, but I'm also a beach person and would want to visit a beach or two as well.

I would preferably choose a 10-14 night cruise, but due to the fact that in order to do Greece I would have satisfy my other half with at least three days in Barcelona before or after the cruise a 7 night cruise is the most likely outcome.

What stops would you absolutely not want to miss?

Thanks

Shawn

Yes...do you mean ONLY the islands, or are you including all of Greece?

On the mainland, I definitely would not leave out Athens. Olympia (port of Katakolon) isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it. Another stop, close to Athens, is Nauplia, a charming small town from where you can visit the hilltop citadel of Mycenae (home to Agamemnon of the Iliad).

Islands:

At Mykonos you can have both history (Delos) and a beach visit, if you have enough time.

Corfu was pleasant but didn't do a lot for me -- seems shopping and strolling the Esplanade were the primary activities in town. I think there are some beaches (I am not a beach person....)

Santorini is the quintessential Greek isle -- the place with stunning views over white houses with blue roofs.... However, it can be a mess when you have a lot of ships in port on the same day. Everyone has to tender ashore and there are only 3 ways up and down the cliff to where the towns are -- cable car (can be slow), donkeys (can be offputting) and walking.

Rhodes is another excellent mix of history and beaches. I would highly recommend it. You can walk around Rhodes Town on your own from the ship -- it's very close. (Get a guidebook with a self-guided tour). And then take a taxi to one of the nearby beaches.

Crete is a large island with several ports. I'd choose Iraklion (also spelled Heraklion) to be close to the ancient site of Knossos -- home of the Minotaur. Other parts of the island have cute seafront towns (Chania; port of Souda) and Venetian architecture (Rethimnon).

I've also visited Monemvasia (beautiful place) and Ithaca, but these are ports usually called on only by smaller ships.

Photo of the old town of Monemvasia:

DSC00292.JPG

While Mykonos has Delos nearby, I would choose Crete over Mykonos.

So my absolute 4 would be:

Athens, Santorini, Crete and Corfu.

Now if I can include Turkey: than Istanbul and Kusadasi would definitely be musts....... we loved Turkey.

My ultimate Greek 4 would be:

Santorini

Rhodes

Mykonos

Corfu

I've been lucky enough to have visited all four of the islands although Corfu and Mykonos were just on a cruise.

Most Greek island cruise include a stop at Athens so that would be a given too considering the history of Athens.

If Turkey was included then I would say:

Istanbul

Bodrum

Kusadasi

I know Celebrity Constellation did a cruise of most of these ports and the Reflection covers quite a few as well.

My Azamara cruise next year covers quite a few too, starts and ends in Athens and stops at Rhodes, Kos, Mykonos, Santorini, Kusadasi and Marmaris.

We did Princess with Italy & Greece

Civitavecchia (Rome)

Monte Carlo

Livorno (Florence & Pisa)

Naples

Santorini

Kusadasi

Mykonos (cancelled by high winds)

Athens

Katakolon (Olympia)

Corfu

Venice

It was the perfect itinerary for us! Have fun planning then taking your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Mykonos - wander around the whitewashed streets, get yourself lost, look for the pelican and have a great meal

Santorini - pop into a cafe/bar overlooking the sea for a great view of the ship - lovely handmade glass and a trip to Oia for the white buildings with the blue domes

Kusadasi - half a day in Ephesus ruins followed by a wander around the bazaar buying knock off bargains

I think we may do greece and turkey again next year thinking about this

Santorini (heartbreaking to leave)

Corfu (rent a car and drive around the island for beautiful views, small boat tours to grottos, and lovely beaches)

Athens (both the old and new archeological museums are great)

Kusadasi (recommend private tour if you want to see everything including the terrace houses)

We did a 7 day on Crystal that started in Athens and went to Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, and Kusadasi as well as Rome and Sorrento. Great itinerary!

Happy hunting!

I love Kusadasi but it is in Turkey.

Keith

See the OP's clarification, posted earlier:

I did say Greek Isles, but I guess I really meant any of the ports that could be encountered on an Eastern Med Cruise focusing on Greece and Turkey.

If you had to pick 4 ports in the Greek Isles as must see and do not miss, which would they be and why?

A little about me. I'm 41. I love history and visiting ruins, but I'm also a beach person and would want to visit a beach or two as well.

I would preferably choose a 10-14 night cruise, but due to the fact that in order to do Greece I would have satisfy my other half with at least three days in Barcelona before or after the cruise a 7 night cruise is the most likely outcome.

What stops would you absolutely not want to miss?

Thanks

Shawn

Just returned from an Eastern Mediterranean cruise, and stopped at 3 Greece ports. My personal preferences are:

Santorini - pretty even on a less than ideal day. A favorite of many cruisers.

Mykonos - A very nice town to spend a few hours

Athens - so much history, with limited scenery

I guess it all depends what your personal interest is. Some people like scenery, some people like history. They are all good ports to visit. :)

I have posted a few pictures of each port so that you can decide on your own:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cwk6888/sets/72157634109431238/detail/

We have done all the standard Cyclade Island ports (i.e. Santorini, Mykonos, etc) and they are all quite nice. But the most amazing Greek Islands we have seen are in the Ionian Chain of which Corfu would be the only cruise ship port. The thing about the Ionian Islands is that you must either be on a yacht or another small boat to really see these islands. There is a reason why Onassis owned an island here.

Hank

Archived