diapers and swim diapers in pools

blue whale

Not to defend bad parenting but I don't think a lot of parents realize they can't put their babies or toddlers in the pool. After all, they sell "swim diapers" and many pools allow children in if they wear swim diapers. I think when parents check-in they should be personally told that no children who need diapers are allowed in any of the pools. Also stress that there is an adult pool which is for adults only. That way they can't say "they didn't know". A big sign can and will be ignored.

I don't think that the parents (and child/children) can be put off the ship for something like that.

They most definitely can be put off the ship for that, and it has been done.

It's probably up to the Captain to issue the order.

They should also be fined. I suggest $250 per hour minimum for the time it takes staff to clean and refill the pool.

I don't know if it is in the cruise contract specifically, but everyone (not just parents, children, etc.) should have to sign an agreement/contract, probably right at the dock prior to boarding, that they understand and will comply with the CDC's requirement that only non-diapered and fully toilet trained passengers (of whatever age) are permitted in the ship's pools, with the exception of those ships that have specific pools for use by children in swim-diapers, those named by the CDC. Full consequences for breaking the rules should be listed on that form (fines, put off ship at next port, etc.). If the people boarding won't sign, then don't permit boarding.

Ultimately, though, I think the cruise contract should include statements to that effect, too. IN BOLD.

Not to defend bad parenting but I don't think a lot of parents realize they can't put their babies or toddlers in the pool. After all, they sell "swim diapers" and many pools allow children in if they wear swim diapers. I think when parents check-in they should be personally told that no children who need diapers are allowed in any of the pools. Also stress that there is an adult pool which is for adults only. That way they can't say "they didn't know". A big sign can and will be ignored.

Stores sell liquor and you can buy drinks in bars, but that doesn't mean you can drink anywhere.

Stores sell cigarettes and there are restrictions on where people can smoke.

I really don't believe that there are very many parents who are unaware that their children should not be in pools used by most passengers, but rather just those set aside specifically for use with swim diapers on certain ships. I think the parents want to hang out by the adult pool and want their kids to swim with them, and so justify their own selfishness by doing something they have to know inherently is wrong.

Stores sell liquor and you can buy drinks in bars, but that doesn't mean you can drink anywhere.

Stores sell cigarettes and there are restrictions on where people can smoke.

I really don't believe that there are very many parents who are unaware that their children should not be in pools used by most passengers, not just those set aside specifically for use with swim diapers. I think the parents want to hang out by the adult pool and want their kids to swim with them, and so justify their own selfishness by doing something they have to know inherently is wrong.

I totally agree with you. I personally don't understand why parents cruise with young children anyway. In my younger parenting years, we wanted to get away for awhile. Since we couldn't afford it, we never did.

I really don't believe that there are very many parents who are unaware that their children should not be in pools used by most passengers, but rather just those set aside specifically for use with swim diapers on certain ships. I think the parents want to hang out by the adult pool and want their kids to swim with them, and so justify their own selfishness by doing something they have to know inherently is wrong.

I have a feeling that most believe that the swim diapers are OK - I mean they call it "swim" diapers. ;) I blame the companies selling it for confusing the issue.

Hmmm. Guess what you are saying is like somebody who drives 80mph in a 25 zone and tells the policeman that they did not notice the speed limit sign. The pool rules are clearly posted at each pool and many of the violators we have seen were doing it well into longer cruises when they certainly knew the rules. We have also seen other parents who were warned by crew....and were back in the pool with their babies as soon as the crew member was gone.

Hank

I have a feeling that most believe that the swim diapers are OK - I mean they call it "swim" diapers. ;) I blame the companies selling it for confusing the issue.

They were designed for swimming in a person's own pool, where you can take risks as you please with your own health, but not for swimming in public pools, where the risk of infecting others is great. (e. coli, norovirus, crypto, etc.)

It is difficult for many people to avoid ingesting water while swimming, especially children.

They were designed for swimming in a person's own pool, where you can take risks as you please with your own health, but not for swimming in public pools, where the risk of infecting others is great. (e. coli, norovirus, crypto, etc.)

It is difficult for many people to avoid ingesting water while swimming, especially children.

That may be true but I still think most people see "swim diaper" and think it is OK anywhere. I doubt there is a disclaimer on the packaging that states to only use it in you own pool. ;)

... Glad I never brought a bathing suit to go into one of those pools

Mary

:eek: So you swam WITHOUT a bathing suit in the pools?!?! :eek:

Just kidding, I know what you meant. ;)

I personally would report it if I saw that happening on the ship. And then make sure the ships crew DID something about it.

I believe that the results are in. It seems that almost 100% of posters on this thread believe that untrained children do not belong in adult pools. Rarely is there such strong agreement.

Be careful with that broad brush... I don't think untrained kids should be in ANY pool. ;)

I totally agree with you. I personally don't understand why parents cruise with young children anyway. In my younger parenting years, we wanted to get away for awhile. Since we couldn't afford it, we never did.

Attitudes toward parenting have changed. I'm not sure whether it's because it is easier to take care of kids now, because we are (in general) having fewer kids and more space between them, or because more moms are working.....but I can't think of a single one of the moms I was friendly with when my son was younger who wanted to "get away" from them for a while.

And also, perhaps more of us can afford to travel, what with two working parents and waiting longer to start a family....

On my last HAL cruise there was a woman with a toddler in the adults only pool and hot tub for over an hour. It bothered me but I really didn't know what to do. I mentioned it to the only crew member I saw. I know he was the bartender but I thought he would contact the correct person to speak to the woman. When I returned to that area over an hour later they were still there splashing and having a grand old time. So people do take their toddlers into the adult only pool and HAL does nothing about it, even when a passenger complains twice.

If you're going to involve the bartender, next time just ask him where the nearest phone is, and call the Front Office. Tell them what you saw and ask that someone be sent up right away. Give them your name and where you'll be so they can find you and you can identify the person (woman, child, whoever) in case the person is out of the pool by the time they arrive.

OR go into the Lido and find the F&B manager on duty and tell him the problem. Point out to him who the person is, and ask him to call.

If you're going to involve the bartender, next time just ask him where the nearest phone is, and call the Front Office. Tell them what you saw and ask that someone be sent up right away. Give them your name and where you'll be so they can find you and you can identify the person (woman, child, whoever) in case the person is out of the pool by the time they arrive.

OR go into the Lido and find the F&B manager on duty and tell him the problem. Point out to him who the person is, and ask him to call.

Thank you for the suggestion. Next time I will do more. I am not that experienced of a cruiser and, like I said, thought if a passenger mentioned it to any crew member they would contact the right person to get it resolved. Clearly that didn't happen, so I will take additional action in the future. It was an Alaskan sea day and I was thinking of enjoying the "adult only" hot tub but was kind of put off by the toddler splashing around there.

We realize that children who are not toilet-trained are not allowed in swimming pools aboard ship. We applaud this regulation, given that even "swim diapers" do not contain "spills." Idea: if we observe parents taking diapered children into pools aboard HAL ships, we should call an attendant and ask him/her to take action immediately.

What do you think?

Blue Whale

Yes call an attendant. I'm a keen swimmer and if there is an 'accident' in the 50 metre pool I swim in, regardless of which end of the human body it came from, the pool is closed until it can get cleaned properly. If the child is not yet toilet trained, I'm sure it would not be throwing a tantrum to get INTO the pool, so leave the child out of the water for the health of other passengers.:eek:

Yes call an attendant. I'm a keen swimmer and if there is an 'accident' in the 50 metre pool I swim in, regardless of which end of the human body it came from, the pool is closed until it can get cleaned properly. If the child is not yet toilet trained, I'm sure it would not be throwing a tantrum to get INTO the pool, so leave the child out of the water for the health of other passengers.:eek:

Agreed. I've never understood the parents who think their child's cruise would be "ruined" if they couldn't go in the pool. Most small children probably don't care one way or the other.

Agreed. I've never understood the parents who think their child's cruise would be "ruined" if they couldn't go in the pool. Most small children probably don't care one way or the other.

Really? Most small kids I know love playing in the water.

Keeping well when away from home is a number one priority. As we get older and as we see folks having to leave the ship in far off places because of health problems, we know that we must take particular care.

D

Really? Most small kids I know love playing in the water.

Yes, but it's not the end of the world if they can't. My sons (ages 40 and 39 now) :eek: learned at a fairly young age that sometimes there were things they couldn't do - and they weren't scarred for life. Too many children today never hear the word "no" from anyone.

Yes, but it's not the end of the world if they can't. My sons (ages 40 and 39 now) :eek: learned at a fairly young age that sometimes there were things they couldn't do - and they weren't scarred for life. Too many children today never hear the word "no" from anyone.

I fully agree. That's why children have little respect for their elders and people in authority in general. They've never heard the word 'no'.

Archived