diapers and swim diapers in pools

blue whale

We realize that children who are not toilet-trained are not allowed in swimming pools aboard ship. We applaud this regulation, given that even "swim diapers" do not contain "spills." Idea: if we observe parents taking diapered children into pools aboard HAL ships, we should call an attendant and ask him/her to take action immediately.

What do you think?

Blue Whale

We realize that children who are not toilet-trained are not allowed in swimming pools aboard ship. We applaud this regulation, given that even "swim diapers" do not contain "spills." Idea: if we observe parents taking diapered children into pools aboard HAL ships, we should call an attendant and ask him/her to take action immediately.

What do you think?

Blue Whale

Yes! And fine ($) their parents. (I know, I know. That can't be done, but it's a pleasant thought.)

Last cruise we had an inconsiderate parent place junior in the pool with diapers not once but twice. The first resulted in the pool not being available for several hours due to "contamination" from junior. A couple of days later they did the same thing again!

Maybe not fined but they should be charged for the extra cleaning and all the fresh water it takes to refill the pool.

Maybe a couple of inconsiderate people being put off at the next port would be a wake up call! Sorry if you think this is too harsh. The cruise lines go thru a lot of extra work when these things happen.

Honestly you need to be living under a rock to not understand that allowing a child to go into the pool when they are not potty trained is a health hazard to everyone including jr who usses that pool!

I wouldn't allow an untrained child in my home pool which has clorine and chemicals in it to kill bacteria let alone a pool which doesn't have these things!

There should be consequences also for the inconvenience of other pax unable to use the pool while it is being cleaned, decontaminated, and refilled.

I agree.

Actions such as that should have consequences.

What do you think?

Blue Whale

I think a deck steward has neither the authority nor the training to handle the situation with the passenger. He should be asked to get an officer in charge to do it, though, as the child should be removed from the pool and the parents informed in no uncertain terms that a diapered child in the pool is unacceptable.

I think a deck steward has neither the authority nor the training to handle the situation with the passenger. He should be asked to get an officer in charge to do it, though, as the child should be removed from the pool and the parents informed in no uncertain terms that a diapered child in the pool is unacceptable.

My guess is that the officer would do nothing because they don't want to offend the parent.

We have seen parents put their diapered children into the pools a few times.

I have no idea if anyone reported the incidents.

But when the pool has to be drained, cleaned and refilled -- i think that the parents should be charged for all that work and inconvenience to others.

I don't think that the parents (and child/children) can be put off the ship for something like that.

But I do believe that people who use the pools (we don't) should tell an officer or stop by the front desk and report the incident. A deck hand doesn't have the authority to take care of that type of a problem.

My guess is that the officer would do nothing because they don't want to offend the parent.

Yet there never seems to be concern about offending the many many other pax who are inconvenienced and lose the use of ship facilities when rules are broken. Makes no sense to me.

What do you think?

Blue Whale

Why are you wasting energy and angst on something that hasn't even happened,and might not happen?

Don't you have excursions to plan and outfits to shop for:rolleyes:

Yet there never seems to be concern about offending the many many other pax who are inconvenienced and lose the use of ship facilities when rules are broken. Makes no sense to me.

Of course.....that's ok;). If parents would act like parents everything would be fine.

Maybe a couple of inconsiderate people being put off at the next port would be a wake up call! Sorry if you think this is too harsh. The cruise lines go thru a lot of extra work when these things happen.

Honestly you need to be living under a rock to not understand that allowing a child to go into the pool when they are not potty trained is a health hazard to everyone including jr who usses that pool!

I wouldn't allow an untrained child in my home pool which has clorine and chemicals in it to kill bacteria let alone a pool which doesn't have these things!

Not sure if you're saying that the pools on board do not have chemicals etc. in them? Having asked following my experience the pools on board definitely have chemical treatments and filters, in fact my room was nearby one of these treatment rooms.

I'm not so sure about that. This is a health hazard, and no cruise line wants to endanger being sanctioned for unhealthy conditions. If the officer did nothing, I would keep going up the chain of command until the appropriate people or agency became aware of the problem. I also think that charging the people who did it a second time might be legally possible. If rowdy teenager can be put off a ship, passengers who insist upon endangering the health of other passengers also can be put off.

If I was in or around the pool/hot tubs (though I only go to the adults-only pool, so it would really be shocking) and witnessed a diapered child in the water, I would do my best to shame the parents out of the pool and report them to a higher-up immediately. I would think a deck hand would not want to confront the parents, and that is understandable, but these rules are for health and safety, not just providing a pleasant child-free atmosphere.

A diapered baby in the pool is easy to spot....but the person who pees in the pool without anyone's notice,:eek: not so much....JUST SAYIN'

Urine is a lot different than poo! Not that I want to swim in either...

Hi

Why can't people just follow the rules. If they know nothing will happen to them. Why should any passengers not allowed to use the pool,because someone cannot follow the rules. So they not punished but people who follow the rules are? So Have a large sign up stating the no untrained toddler,s infants alowed in pool. You will be put off ship next port. Because of this I will never go into a ship's pool. Along with Noro virus

Mary

Wakepatrol,

But is has and does happen, not just a "what if" question.

Yes, anyone can urinate in the pool without notice, but that is NOT what most folks worry about. I have been on ships when pools were closed for cleaning due to solid waste products in the pool. A child can have a diaper full, contaminating the water, and not even be visible to others. If visible - pool closed. Spoils it for all other swimmers.

There should be consequences also for the inconvenience of other pax unable to use the pool while it is being cleaned, decontaminated, and refilled.

Anyone with an ounce of brains should know better than to bring infants into the pools.

I sure hope all of you who are wailing about non potty trained little ones in the pools would actually feel the same way about diaper clad adults who have incontinence issues. After all, isn't it the same issue?

And before anyone yells at me, I agree that NO ONE who cannot control urine or stool should be allowed in any pool on any ship. Just am tired of hearing only one end of the age spectrum being called out. And believe me, I have seen adult cruisers wear protective briefs under their swim suits on more than one cruise line.

What do you think?

Blue Whale

I don't see the point of this Thread..Have you actually seen an adult place a diaper clad toddler in a HAL pool, or is this a what if?

I sure hope all of you who are wailing about non potty trained little ones in the pools would actually feel the same way about diaper clad adults who have incontinence issues. After all, isn't it the same issue?

And before anyone yells at me, I agree that NO ONE who cannot control urine or stool should be allowed in any pool on any ship. Just am tired of hearing only one end of the age spectrum being called out. And believe me, I have seen adult cruisers wear protective briefs under their swim suits on more than one cruise line.

How do you know that people are wearing protective briefs under their suits?

Archived